Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

3 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

Does Maresca have the quality of players to play Pep ball? No. 

Not sure why being a Pep understudy helps us in the Championship. His only standalone Managerial record was a 28% win record with Parma. 

Making comparisons with Arteta is different, as he took over at Arsenal, with a big budget and much better players capable of playing Pep/Arteta's style. 

One of the reasons we are in this position, is because Rodgers tried to push a passing/ball retention style on our players, that they were simply unable to make successful over a period of time. To play like Man City or even us in the early days of Rodgers, takes a certain calibre of player and a squad full of them, which we barely had then, and certainly don't have now.

Personally, I don't think Maresca is the right appointment for our situation and the quality of our squad. Do we really want to see our back 4 passing it around the back again? They simply aren't capable, without stifling our attack and/or making defensive errors that lead to goals and losses. 

We are going to have an entirely different squad come the first game of the season, how do you know they won't be capable? Also arguments about quality of player are surely relative to the league they're in? We don't have to be Arsenal, we'll just need good players at Championship level that can be effectively coached.

1 minute ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

Maybe I'm naive but I like the thought of Maresca. I'd rather regroup and build something that could grow beyond a promotion. Lots of the other candidates feel like they've already shown to not be good enough for the Prem.

We also have excellent training facilities where he could presumably bring players on. And we'd hopefully get first dibs on Man City loans too...

That Foden lads always on the bench :crylaugh:

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Not sure why being a Pep understudy helps us in the Championship. His only standalone Managerial record was a 28% win record with Parma. 

Making comparisons with Arteta is different, as he took over at Arsenal, with a big budget and much better players capable of playing Pep/Arteta's style. 

One of the reasons we are in this position, is because Rodgers tried to push a passing/ball retention style on our players, that they were simply unable to make successful over a period of time. To play like Man City or even us in the early days of Rodgers, takes a certain calibre of player and a squad full of them, which we barely had then, and certainly don't have now.

Personally, I don't think Maresca is the right appointment for our situation and the quality of our squad. Do we really want to see our back 4 passing it around the back again? They simply aren't capable, without stifling our attack and/or making defensive errors that lead to goals and losses. 

Nah sorry but that is bollocks. Kompany turned Burnley from 4-4-2 boot it up to the big lads up front to one of the best sides in the country to watch almost instantly. It's more than do-able. 

We're in this position because of a lack of investment into new blood and also because old players didn't want to play here but wanted to be paid here. Meaning the squad was full of uncoachable players who weren't willing to put the hard yards in. Led to a disinterested and unfit squad that didn't think we'd end up in this position but also didn't care if we did.

• Like 3

I think with Maresca you’ve obviously got a very intelligent coach who is very tactically switched on. There’s no way pep settles for less. 

Whether he has the persona to rally a dressing room, who knows.  But it would be nice to have someone tactically astute. 

He wouldn’t be settling for what we saw from ndidi soumare and youri as a 3 last season that’s for sure. 

There’s also no guarantee he wants to play pep ball… maybe he’s his own man and has other ideas. 

I do think he’s exciting enough to attract talent though. Many will view us as being the next burnley which o think would suddenly make us far more attractive than if we settled with smith or parker 

He would also get good use out of our training ground, it’ll be nice to have someone who could harness its potential. You need a top coach for that. Parker wouldn’t.

it’s funny that those 2 are the contenders as they are opposites. One is tactically switched on but question marks over the motivational side of things or his man management. The other tactically not great but very good at man management and creating a culture. but in fairness with maresca his is more unknown than a flaw 

Edited by Lambert09

11 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

It's a good point while Maresca will probably play one way and someone like Smith would be more dynamic if it's not going well I think.

• Like 1

Surprised how much love Marseca is getting considering he has only 1 full season as Pep's assistant and his only Manager's job was 28% win rate. 

If he takes over, I will support him 100%, just not seeing why the love in, as he is a bit of an unknown, apart from 1 season under Pep and a failure at Parma. 

3 minutes ago, Hirsty The Blue 94 said:

Parker now 2/5 with the 2 bookies offering prices, and Rodgers 2/5 to be Celtic manager, leaving Maresca nowhere.

He must either be really bad at interviews or very picky about the job he thinks he deserves.

Probably the latter. Being Pep's no.2 must be one the best gigs in football and he'll be linked with every half-decent managerial vacancy going from now on, so he can afford to be picky.

10 minutes ago, StriderHiryu said:

There's no guarantee with any new manager working out, but let's look at managers who worked under Pep around Europe:

- Arteta. Won the FA Cup with Arsenal, got them into a title challenge when no one expected it, play great football.

- Kompany. Failed at Anderlecht but then transformed Burnley in the Championship from 442 Dyche ball to a modern and attractive style. Spurs wanted him as a result.

- Xavi. Started managing in Qatar where he did OK, then went to Barcelona and won the league with the best defence in the last 20 years in Spain.

- Ten Hag. Wasn't an assistant but did work under Pep at Bayern Munich. Won the title with Ajax, Carabao Cup with Man United.

So there's definitely precedent to go with someone who has worked under Pep. If you compare us to Burnley from last season, we have a better starting point even if Barnes and Maddison join Tielemans in leaving the club. We've got lots of young players and a world class training academy.

Maresca failed at Parma, but was in charge of the Man CIty PL2 youth team that won it this season, the first time they had done so, stealing it from Chelsea.

It could definitely go wrong, but it's an exciting appointment. Dean Smith and Scott Parker are OK appointments, I could understand why we would go that way if we did so, but they are safe and boring. The last Italian manager we had told us "it is important to dream!" Given the last horrific season... I want to dream again!

Some fair points in there. Burnley took a huge gamble on Vincent Kompany and luckily for them it paid off. For me we need to give ourselves the best possible chance of bouncing back immediately and I believe we have a much greater chance of doing that with someone who been there and done it plus has the medals to prove it. 

Scott Parker doesn't excite me one bit but he has the credentials we're after. 

A lot of people saying his PL record is shocking, well we're not in the PL anymore. If and it's a big if, we went up and he didn't perform in the prem then after this season you'd hope the hierarchy would have learnt some tough lessons and pull the plug in time to rescue the situation..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, STUHILL said:

Surprised how much love Marseca is getting considering he has only 1 full season as Pep's assistant and his only Manager's job was 28% win rate. 

If he takes over, I will support him 100%, just not seeing why the love in, as he is a bit of an unknown, apart from 1 season under Pep and a failure at Parma. 

He won the Premier League 2 for Man City (first time they ever won it) before he went to Parma, he’s got a background of encouraging youth and working well with younger players which will attract the club. 

15 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Pep ball isn’t Rodgers ball. It is the polar opposite to Rodgers ball in terms of what players do with the ball. 

In its most basic form though, it is about retaining the ball and building attacks through possession and having each player be comfortable on the ball. 

We don't have the quality of players to do that IMO. Too many times were we caught in possession or misplaced a pass or completely failed to break down teams.

Perhaps Marseca is more dynamic or can implement it better than Rodgers did with limited players. I just think he is almost an unknown entity and that is a big risk to take. Could pay off though, and I will support him if he comes. There is no ideal candidate out there it seems. 

• Thanks 2

Guest Kopfkino

Parma hardly got much better when he left last season…not really a defence of him but it doesn’t show he was obviously underachieving. To not be given much time makes it a little unfair to judge him solely on that. Sousa didn’t work out here, and maybe never would have, but he’s gone on to do well elsewhere, at least for a time. It doesn’t define them.

What was Pearson’s win % and experience before he came here first time. It’d be a risky appointment based on a lack of evidence and I can think of others I might rather have but I’d rather go down this route than many of the others that have been mooted

25 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

If he gets us up, he’s achieved his remit. We can deal with the PL if and when we get there. 

thats true but id rather have someone for the long term and if we did get parker and he got us up, i can see him being sacked by november of the next season(if we went up)

19 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

The only thing that would make me nervous if it was to be Maresca is his lack of experience, out of the names mentioned he would be the biggest gamble.

Our squad is going to look a lot different to what it is now. 

If we get in a possession based manager then everything will depend on Martyn Glover’s recruitment, if he can find players that suit possession based football then appointing Maresca could easily end up being the right appointment.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FrankieADZ said:

thats true but id rather have someone for the long term and if we did get parker and he got us up, i can see him being sacked by november of the next season(if we went up)

If we got this Maserca and got up and first attempt it would bode well going forward.

• Like 1

Parker is proven at this level but I'm not sure how good he would be at a rebuild. 

Maresca sounds good to me.

It's not about wether we can play in a Man City style,  but getting the squad fit and hungry might be something he would bring if Pep's influenced him at all.

Our lack of fitness and work rate is what cost us in far to many games last season and led to our relegation and you will have to battle for everything next season 

1 minute ago, GingerrrFox said:

He won the Premier League 2 for Man City (first time they ever won it) before he went to Parma, he’s got a background of encouraging youth and working well with younger players which will attract the club. 

Good achievement, but I imagine the players Man City have for the Premier League 2, are quite impressive. 

Wonder if anyone knows more about what went so wrong at Parma for him? 

5 minutes ago, STUHILL said:

for me it’s just exciting to be chasing potential rather than playing it safe. Gives us the chance to actually rebuild something sustainable rather than a plaster over the cracks. 

He has knowledge of youth and we’d be first in line for the top talent available from man city. And just the fact that if you’re good enough to work with pep, you’re pretty damn good. 

We all know the first job in football doesn’t indicate how good you can be. So i’m willing to give him a free pass from parma. 

At the end of the day, anyone can fail, no matter what you’ve done in the past. But it’s a lot more exciting than half the names we’ve seen recently who all have a low glass ceiling