Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Potter likes a building job. If he doesn’t get offered a Prem job this summer, I can absolutely see him preferring a rebuild job with a big club in the Championship over an emergency repair job in the Prem miday through next season.

You say if he doesn’t get offered a Prem job. Issue is we can’t afford to wait. A new manager should be lined up now. And I don’t think Potter will entertain the idea yet. As sick as it sounds, I think Forest will sack Cooper and go for Potter.

9 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-leicester-city-ready-to-approach-graham-potter/

Tanner has said Potter is our no.1 choice as well, but he thinks it depends on if we survive. 

Would be astonished if he joined us in a lower division. 

Potter would be an interesting choice, I understand why we would want him.

But Chelsea to Championship - I'm not sure that will be in his plan. However he is more likely to say yes than Moyes if he has permission to decide on our new signings and I expect he would demand a high wage to drop down

Be shocked if Potter goes from Chelski to a Championship club. He will be better to sit on the bench and wait for a Premier League job to come up. 

I'd take one of the Coventry or Luton Managers. Whoever loses in the play-off final most likely. They have both done fantastic jobs with very limited resources. 

Re Potter, I guess it just depends on how other teams view his Chelsea tenure. But, he is responsible for putting that Brighton side together, so I don’t think it will impact him. This is precisely why we’re in the shit, still chasing dreams even though we’re on the verge of collapsing. 

• Like 1

Potter ain't for me. Last season (or season before)  I think they had a late corner when chasing the game, the season where every single corner went in. He specifically instructed them to go short (to my huge relief) and they fluffed it. 

That alone was enough for me. He didn't read the game. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

You say if he doesn’t get offered a Prem job. Issue is we can’t afford to wait. A new manager should be lined up now. And I don’t think Potter will entertain the idea yet. As sick as it sounds, I think Forest will sack Cooper and go for Potter.

If they do that we should be straight in for Cooper.

• Like 1

Just now, STUHILL said:

Be shocked if Potter goes from Chelski to a Championship club. He will be better to sit on the bench and wait for a Premier League job to come up. 

I'd take one of the Coventry or Luton Managers. Whoever loses in the play-off final most likely. They have both done fantastic jobs with very limited resources. 

To be fair, when has that ever worked? How many times historically has a manager left a small club with a modest budget and succeeded at a bigger club, especially at championship level? The pressure to get it right with us will now be immense and going from Luton or Cov to us would be a bad move. It would be the same as Potter to Chelsea…..

10 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I think Forest will sack Cooper to be honest. It’s the kind of move they would do. 

I think this as well.

44 minutes ago, Mick_1960 said:

You should go for Rafa Benitez and he should have been appointed instead of Smith.

His time at Everton was always going to be a problem for him as the Everton fans were never going to take to a former Liverpool manager and that was known as soon as he was linked to them. I'm going to contradict myself here, I don't know why he took the job at the same time as understanding why he did.

He was always going to be one defeat away from the crowd turning and that was proven to be the case. Everton started the season under him very well and won a number of games in a row and they were near the top of the league, and then they lost a game. One loss and he had the bile directed towards him from a few fans and they seemed to poison the others who then joined in.

I understand why he took it because he will have seen potential if he could win over the detractors.

Rafa turned up at Newcastle on the morning and the players had a day off, he phoned them all in that afternoon and had them training because he’ll have noticed that the players were totally unfit. He was never going to keep us (Newcastle) up as we were virtually relegated and had accepted our fate. He turned the players around and we ended the season by hammering Spurs at home, we would have stayed up if we’d appointed him a month earlier because the improvements were clear to see after a few weeks of his training.

He'll also want to build solid foundations at your club and will get involved in everything, he also doesn’t suffer fools and will go head to head with anybody at your club if they’re not pulling their weight, including directors and owners.

He would be a brilliant choice, a choice you could and should get behind if you get the chance, he’s also a winner if given a fair chance. He loves his family but Leicester would be his priority, the man is class and so is the manager.

100% agreed 

Football could be dull sometimes but he's a pragmatist. Wanted him here over Smith. 

• Like 2

Whoever is appointed needs as much of the Summer as possible to prepare us - so you would hope the Club has already identified its primary target (plus 1st and 2nd preference) and goes out and gets them as soon as the season ends.

I suspect tho they haven’t even started to think about it.

• Like 1

F**k Potter. Said no last time and now there are big question marks over his ability anyway. He will wait for a top half PL team, or do what Brendan did and go to Rangers or Celtic.

I agree that Forest will sack Cooper, and maybe Forest will have a nibble for Potter but i think Potter will be careful about joining another barmy run club.

If Forest do sack Cooper we should be all over it, but timescales might be against us unless Forest do it quickly. We need someone in yesterday. 

Also, if we do get Cooper its got to be dependent on him getting his teeth done. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

F**k Potter. Said no last time and now there are big question marks over his ability anyway. He will wait for a top half PL team, or do what Brendan did and go to Rangers or Celtic.

I agree that Forest will sack Cooper, and maybe Forest will have a nibble for Potter but i think Potter will be careful about joining another barmy run club.

If Forest do sack Cooper we should be all over it, but timescales might be against us unless Forest do it quickly. We need someone in yesterday. 

Also, if we do get Cooper its got to be dependent on him getting his teeth done. 

Don’t know where this confidence about Forest getting rid of Cooper comes from. 

Their owners kept with him despite having a similar run of form to us, and he is very popular among their fans. 

9 minutes ago, JimmyC74 said:

Whoever is appointed needs as much of the Summer as possible to prepare us - so you would hope the Club has already identified its primary target (plus 1st and 2nd preference) and goes out and gets them as soon as the season ends.

I suspect tho they haven’t even started to think about it.

Yeah…. About that

• Like 1

Just now, lcfc_forever said:

Don’t know where this confidence about Forest getting rid of Cooper comes from. 

Their owners kept with him despite having a similar run of form to us, and he is very popular among their fans. 

Forest haven't stayed up because they have made sound business and footballing decisions. They have chucked a tonne of cash at this and found something that stuck towards the end of the season. I mean, look at the goal yesterday. Gifted it from a honking Arsenal team who didn't want to be there.  For most of this season, they have been completely horrible. Finishing above us is no gauge of success.

Their owner is a maniac. Complete mental case. I strongly doubt he will make sensible decisions this summer. I have a strong feeling they will look at Cooper and consider the next push needs someone who is going to get more of a tune out of their rediculous spending. Forest will need to be successful, not battling relegation, or this spending is going to catch-up with them big time.

2 minutes ago, Corky said:

Cooper will want to stay in the Premier League now wherever he is.

He'll want to but I don't think he'll get a job.

Just now, Tuna said:

He'll want to but I don't think he'll get a job.

Doesn't have to be soon- clubs will change throughout the season and a manager fresh from keeping a team up will be attracting attention.