Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

6 hours ago, ConnFoxUS said:

I understand that. You’re not understanding what I wrote. Obviously LCFC will hold on to all reserve options as long as possible, until a manager is chosen.  But given the way this has gone on, it’s bananas for Smith to still be sitting around waiting for a maybe appointment in this manner. Quality people who know their worth don’t do that. If I’m Smith, I’ve already told Rudkin to kindly screw, and I await my next opportunity at a club that actually wants me. Because, contrary to all the fluff on this board, the head gig at LCFC right now isn’t all that and a bag of crisps (hence the less than exciting candidate pool) and I’m certainly not going to let them jerk me around like this to potentially not get the job, which only looks worse for other clubs down the road that may want to hire me at some point. 

6 hours ago, HankMarvin said:

That’s the clubs stance.

What about the self respect of the man?

Lingering around, whilst you have had a chance to prove yourself and effectively had one foot in the door. 
I believe he said he had a contract until the end of the season.

Clearly there are no other options for Smith, as he or the Club would’ve come to a decision in the last 2 weeks as opposed to “assessing their options”.

Would you be happy taking a role knowing that it’s only because other options have rejected chance to take the position.

From Smith’s perspective, he knows he’s not going to get a better job at this point in his career. Despite our recent issues, this is a brilliant job for somebody: big club, amazing facilities, largely blank slate with squad, largest wage budget in the Championship, good chance of being back in the PL next year, etc. 

You can argue that if he had any self-respect he’d tell them to shove it. But if he did that and it then became clear that he would have got the job if he’d just waited a few more weeks, he might regret his haste when the only offers he has are from Rotherham and Blackpool. 

• Like 1

The fact that they didn't have any clue by now is a worry of things to come. Where's the plan when we were in a relegation battle? There always should be a plan B ready to be kicked in when relegation was confirmed. Sounds to me that they were sitting on their hands and, as Pearson said, being an Ostrich! Fair enough it takes time to find the manager, but they should have a list and then put feelers out on who would be interested. This seems like a "oh, we've been relegated, what the hell do I do?" type of scenario. 

I just don't hold up much hope for this season. With scouts and other backroom staff leaving, there is more than just a manager to recruit. Time is ticking by while the club walk blindly into the championship season. It all needs time to settle get all cogs aligned to work as one and that is running out. 

Edited by fox_favourite
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I wonder there is disagreement at board level about which candidate to go for and this may explain the delay?

If thats the case, then that is more worrying. We need them all to work together and if not, then we are serious dodo

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Or, for once maybe we're trying to be thorough. We all criticise them for shit decisions, doesn't really matter if it takes another two weeks so long as it's a thorough process and we get the right man. Rather that than hand the job to one of the first applicants. 

Could also be that we're being asked to guarantee budgets etc, and it's taking a while to crunch all the numbers and figure out how much we can spend. New set of FFP rules to comply with, new wages, staff cutbacks, player sales etc etc. 

There is a huge amount of stuff to wade through I'd imagine. Picking a manager is the tip of the iceberg. 

Yep I’m hoping that’s the case. It’s a massive job.

My only fear is that they’ll take all this time and still get it wrong. But all decisions are risks.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Fox 4 Life said:

Leeds haven't appointed anyone either, this is a big decision, can we get a little perspective or na because it's FT

They won’t yet till the takeover is official.

18 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Or, for once maybe we're trying to be thorough. We all criticise them for shit decisions, doesn't really matter if it takes another two weeks so long as it's a thorough process and we get the right man. Rather that than hand the job to one of the first applicants. 

Could also be that we're being asked to guarantee budgets etc, and it's taking a while to crunch all the numbers and figure out how much we can spend. New set of FFP rules to comply with, new wages, staff cutbacks, player sales etc etc. 

There is a huge amount of stuff to wade through I'd imagine. Picking a manager is the tip of the iceberg. 

I actually agree with this.

We'd all moan like **** if the club had appointed Gerrard the first week after relegation. 

My only concern is that if the appointment process is both slow and flawed, we'll have wasted two weeks. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

It's great... if we had the players to do it.

Kompany didn't exactly have De Bruyne and Haaland to work with last season.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, teblin said:

Yep I’m hoping that’s the case. It’s a massive job.

My only fear is that they’ll take all this time and still get it wrong. But all decisions are risks.

Don't get me wrong... I'm very doubtful that they are actually being thorough. It flies against almost everything we've ever done in terms of picking managers. But you'd like to think someone with an ounce of common sense has suggested having a real good look around, and not just plumping for someone quick and without a job.

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Don't get me wrong... I'm very doubtful that they are actually being thorough. It flies against almost everything we've ever done in terms of picking managers. But you'd like to think someone with an ounce of common sense has suggested having a real good look around, and not just plumping for someone quick and without a job.

This is one of the biggest managerial appointments in our history. Get it wrong and the consequences could be very serious. As it happens I do think they’re trying to be thorough and explore every available option before deciding. However I also wonder if there are different views among board members about who we should go for, and that these discussions may be partly influenced by fan reactions to leaked names. The last thing they’ll want to do is make an appointment that immediately makes the mood among the fans even worse.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Babylon said:

Perhaps our current situation forces us to think about it. We aren't in the position to go for the lazy choice the board have heard of and just throwing the promise of Premier League football at them - at least for now.

We'll be looking at someone who can get us promoted and keep us back in the Premier League, so a builder is on the agenda.

Guest Kopfkino

A year today since Burnley appointed Kompany - that’s for a season that started a week earlier.

Some people do need to chill out a bit. You not having a scooby what’s happening ≠ nothing is happening

7 hours ago, ConnFoxUS said:

At this point, I have to think that if Dean Smith has any dignity/self respect, I have to believe he withdraws his name from consideration of this train wreck. He interviewed back in April, basically had a working interview for a month and a half, and has been available since the season ended over two weeks ago. What more could the board need to know if he’s their guy? 
Does anyone, staffer, player, supporter, etc. really want a manager in this situation that’s just been left out in limbo for so long? 

For that reason alone, I absolutely don’t want any part of him. His agent really ought to have floated his name out as a candidate for some other openings as well, because the poor guy just looks kind of pathetic at this point. 

Dean Smith accepting the job. 

IMG_0019.jpeg

• Haha 2

10 minutes ago, Babylon said:

All of that prep work should largely be done in advance. Not just because we actually had 8 weeks under Smith to think about the possibility of who we would target as manager if in PL or the Championship, but this should be work done for contingency planning as standard anyway.

The club is a complete mess. It very much feels like this is now just that period where we are waiting for the inevitable to happen, Top allowing this club to be ran in to the ground and him have to leave and we can hope it gets rebuilt to something we can be proud of again. Until then, we gasp in horror.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

All of that prep work should largely be done in advance. Not just because we actually had 8 weeks under Smith to think about the possibility of who we would target as manager if in PL or the Championship, but this should be work done for contingency planning as standard anyway.

The club is a complete mess. It very much feels like this is now just that period where we are waiting for the inevitable to happen, Top allowing this club to be ran in to the ground and him have to leave and we can hope it gets rebuilt to something we can be proud of again. Until then, we gasp in horror.

Yes it should. But a lot of stuff can happen in 8 weeks, targets get promoted and no longer are available, managers no longer want to move, targets have agreements before we even know what league we're in etc. 

In terms of top, I think it's being overly harsh. Huge businesses take a long time to turn around, I'm sure we all agree he should have sacked Rodgers sooner, but I do understand his reasoning, even if I don't agree with it. 

You can make changes in fitness and in recruitment and you might have no idea if those changes are successful for 6-18 months. 

Edited by Babylon

Guest Chocolate Teapot
9 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Rudkin has been his source for years :thumbup:

Posing as an itk and coming out with this 🤣🤣🤣

5 minutes ago, Matt said:

Poundshop pepball.

Pepball is dull and boring, let alone without players capable and on a shoestring.

And a huge percentage of the football world has been brainwashed by it despite pretty much on Pep/Man City be able to execute it successfully.

Clubs need to find their own ways instead a one size fits all just because it works for Man City.

One thing I like about pep ball is intensity without the ball. We didn’t have that in the last 2 years.

but you definitely have to find your own way. In the championship sometimes you just need to get the ball in the box.