Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

I was listening to a podcast with Rob Tanner on the way to work and he said that he doesn't think that Potter wants to drop down to the Championship so is very unlikely.  He also said the Parker would definitely be under consideration.

I hope he is wrong but even he does not seem to have much idea on who will be the next manager.  It is frustratingly quiet on everything.

I'd be very surprised if it's Potter you don't go from managing Chelsea in the premier league to managing in the championship. If we stayed up, then I do think he would have taken the job but now he probably sees Leicester a little risky. Failed to do well here, he'd struggle to land any future premier league jobs. 

1 hour ago, LCFCJohn said:

Doesn’t mean I have to enjoy watching it! 

Maybe my opinion is based on the fact I only really watch them when we play them and I find it dull as we don’t get a look in and it’s just all their possession. I’m not saying that doesn’t make them the best team in the world right now, but I personally don’t enjoy watching them play! 

Personally I loved our 2016 style and nothing will beat that for me. 

And even in the Premier League era, I’d put him behind SAF. I’m sure you’ll tell me my opinion is wrong there as well despite it being an opinion….

Totally agree, this possession based style only works if you have the players that can keep hold of the ball as we proved last season. As you say, it can also be very dull to watch if the main focus is to keep possession rather than attack the opposition.

In my opinion, I loved our style of playing on the front foot with plenty of pace when we won the title in 2015/16. As a supporter, that is what the excitement of football is all about.

Most these modern 'head coaches' just seem to have a style of play rather than the experience to utilise the players they have got. This was one of the problems Rodgers had towards the end at Leicester. 

When I see all these names rumored for the KP dugout, it worries me as they near enough all play this similar style. Might work in the Championship if we get the right players who can hold the ball but I fear it would be flawed in the Premier League.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

If Potter backed himself he would drop to the Championship - we are an established premier league club and can easily return to that status.

If he comes down he and fails he's pretty well finished.

2 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I'd be very surprised if it's Potter you don't go from managing Chelsea in the premier league to managing in the championship. If we stayed up, then I do think he would have taken the job but now he probably sees Leicester a little risky. Failed to do well here, he'd struggle to land any future premier league jobs. 

It must be tempting though.  Almost a blank sheet to start with so he can bring his own type of player in along with the biggest budget (probably by some distance) in the Championship.  Most of the reason that he failed at Chelsea was because Bohley was playing football manager and signing everyone he could.  We may have to offer him a big say in which players come in.  I am not too sure Rudkin would be happy with that scenario.

2 minutes ago, Koke said:

Potter is waiting for a Premier League job. Wolves or Everton or even maybe Newcastle will have a managerial vacancy in December.

But then he'd be inheriting somebody else's squad and somebody else's mess. With us, he'd have the opportunity to build his own squad and get us into the PL next season. If he truly believed in his abilities, I think we'd be a tempting prospect.

Just now, shiv said:

As someone has already mentioned, it’s exactly 1 year ago since Kompany was appointed Burnley manager. 

-Kompany was appointed on 14th June.

-Burnley made their first signing on 26th June.

-Burnley signed ~16 players between 26th June and 1st September.

-Burnley sold ~14 players between 26th June and 1st September.

-The Championship started on 29th July in 2022 (one week earlier than this season).

I know we’re all eager for some movement but if we get someone in this week we’re still a few days ahead of the team that stormed the Championship last season. Important to have some perspective!

Good point but Burnley do not have Rudkin running the entire thing!

Edited by Tuna
  • Like 1

Imagine somehow appointing Potter and he flops, all that time and money for nothing. One thing to take into account he's never achieved promotion from the championship. But of course that means nothing... 

Edited by Leicesterpool

Just now, ClaphamFox said:

But then he'd be inheriting somebody else's squad and somebody else's mess. With us, he'd have the opportunity to build his own squad and get us into the PL next season. If he truly believed in his abilities, I think we'd be a tempting prospect.

Personally I think that with our budget situation, the contracts situation, the timescale, and the board being what it is, there probably isn't going to be a thoughtfully managed, sensible rebuild. Instead, we are going to end up with a bunch of randoms, and the new manager is going to have to be flexible. That's not Potter. Its also probably not Enzo or Parker. (Frankly, that's why I am on the Dean Smith train, but I appreciate its a lonely place to be, and I'm not sure where its actually going.)

I'm starting to lean to idea of giving Smith a 18 month deal, see where we are come the international break in October... If not all's well then change it then, still time to turn the season round and maybe then there could be some better candidates available for example Sean Dyche?.. 

5 minutes ago, Verumex said:

I really am not buying the continued Potter links. It's either a yes or a no from him, and I see no reason why he wouldn't have given a clear answer weeks ago. 

The others we've been linked with all have reasons to wait.

I'm wondering if we're Maresca's second choice, but Celtic want Brendan over him.

I think that when Celtic announce their manager, no matter who it is, the dominoes will fall and we'll announce either Maresca or whoever our second choice is, hopefully Hutter.

I think people are forgetting that the season has only just ended and clubs hire and fire. It only just came out that Moyes was staying at West Ham - a club you could see Potter going to. So where does he go assuming he wants to stay in England. Crystal Palace?? They don't scream ambition. It's about paying him and assuring him that we, PL winners, winners of the FA Cup who finished top 6 twice in a row still have ambition to compete with the top and this is an unfortunate temporary blip. That's what I would be saying to Potter and if he's still not said no it's because he's waiting/waited for opportunities. I personally still see it being Potter because I can't see him going anywhere else in the PL, and I don't know if he at this stage wants to go abroad.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Koke said:

I was thinking of the PL clubs Potter could go, but realised that league is filled with small clubs that don't have a high enough ceiling.

This is why I think we are a good option for him. 

4 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

I'm starting to lean to idea of giving Smith a 18 month deal, see where we are come the international break in October... If not all's well then change it then, still time to turn the season round and maybe then there could be some better candidates available for example Sean Dyche?.. 

I'm leaning towards getting in my bath tub whilst holding my plugged in toaster

• Sad 1

One name that hasn't been mentioned that likely be linked is Michael Appleton, briefly managed us before shortly after Shakey services were no longer required. He's actually got a 100% management record with the foxes.. well won 2 out of 2. Not sure he'd been the man for us, but he might be on Rudkin's list. Plus Appleton may have applied. 

Also I believe he's last game in charge was 4-1 win for Blackpool against Forest... see he may already be popular :D

Edited by Leicesterpool