Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

10 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

I'd love Potter and It's not impossible that he'd join a Championship club.

But for me, and quite possibly some of the candidates for manager, it's more important that we get a good new Director of Football. 

...it would be essential if Mr Rudkin was, to still be on the board, that he has no influence, input or say in how the new process is administered!!!

Should a call be made to Mr Walsh in the USA, Rudkin cannot be the person who makes the call, and their paths do not cross in any eventually. Better still send Rudkin to OHL.

21 hours ago, Gazza3 said:

Not been impressed with Smith - his comments last week about changing our game plan based on other results was odd - suggests he was going for a draw tomorrow and hope results go our way. Does he realise we have no midfield and an error prone defence. How the hell can we hold out for a draw. Best policy is all out attack and win 5-4 . His team selections in the last 2 have been odd , giving us no chance . Good riddance

Yes there is absolutely no point sitting back because you are just postponing the inevitable with our defence. Best of all out attack as we need the win. (Not that this will happen as he would be afraid of getting thrashed). 

21 hours ago, Gazza3 said:

Not been impressed with Smith - his comments last week about changing our game plan based on other results was odd - suggests he was going for a draw tomorrow and hope results go our way. Does he realise we have no midfield and an error prone defence. How the hell can we hold out for a draw. Best policy is all out attack and win 5-4 . His team selections in the last 2 have been odd , giving us no chance . Good riddance

he's tried the basketball approach and seen us consistently underperform our xg. maybe he's running out of options !   he hasn't played a double pivot yet - S+s did against villa and tbh, without KDH red card, we'd probably have got something out of that game.  tonight will be an 'all hands on deck for the first twenty - maybe wilf and papy might start

40 minutes ago, LVFox said:

I could massively get behind us giving Carlos Corberan a lifeline out of the bonfire that is West Brom.

I think he will eventually go on to a very promising career. Don’t know much about what’s happening at west brom but would he really leave them for us? 

5 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

I think he will eventually go on to a very promising career. Don’t know much about what’s happening at west brom but would he really leave them for us? 

If what I'm reading is right, then West Brom are deep in the brown stuff and he left Huddersfield over management issues so he's got form.

Really good coach though, would get us fit, pressing and playing a direct counter attack style that would probably suit our fanbase.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LVFox said:

If what I'm reading is right, then West Brom are deep in the brown stuff and he left Huddersfield over management issues so he's got form.

Really good coach though, would get us fit, pressing and playing a direct counter attack style that would probably suit our fanbase.

Need to sell some of their best players as well don't they?

Get him to bring Swift and O'Shea with him :thumbup:

• Like 1

Guest Fox99

I would have Smith in the conversation and would also look at the likes of Benitez, Corberan, Viera and Hasenhuttl. Potter would clearly be a standout option if doable.

7 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

I would have Smith in the conversation and would also look at the likes of Benitez, Corberan, Viera and Hasenhuttl. Potter would clearly be a standout option if doable.

Smith has been dreadful. I.was warned by a Norwich supporting friend but he's worse than I.thought 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, AlexFT said:

7 minutes ago, don_danbury said:

are you mental?

by in the conversation, he means as part of the interview process we ask “you’re not anything like smith right?” 

• Haha 1

Don't care about the source, good enough for me that it wont be him next season!

https://www.footballinsider247.com/sources-major-update-on-dean-smiths-leicester-city-future/

Dean Smith has told friends he doesn’t expect to be at Leicester City next season, sources have told Football Insider.

The 52-year-old was appointed early in April on a short-term contract running until the end of the season.

But even if Smith oversees a remarkable escape from relegation, he is not expected to land the managerial post on a permanent basis.

The former Aston Villa manager has let it be known to those close to him that he anticipates he will be looking for another job for the 2023-24 campaign.

A well-placed Leicester source has told Football Insider that the Foxes have instead made ex-Chelsea boss Graham Potter their number-one target for the hot seat.

Edited by moore_94

On 21/05/2023 at 10:45, JimmyC74 said:

Agreed - wasn’t there reports that Spuds were taking the Brentford DofF - but that shouldn’t stop us sounding some of these guys out.

We need to be ambitious and get the best possible candidate - there is a massive job to do here.

Ambition and realism are uneasy bedfellows.

4 hours ago, st albans fox said:

he's tried the basketball approach and seen us consistently underperform our xg. maybe he's running out of options !   he hasn't played a double pivot yet - S+s did against villa and tbh, without KDH red card, we'd probably have got something out of that game.  tonight will be an 'all hands on deck for the first twenty - maybe wilf and papy might start

...I can see Meadowlark Smith, doing the same thing again!!!

9 hours ago, Dames said:

They got suckered in by Puel after he failed at Southampton... 

Puel did a fantastic job in hindsight. It just wasn’t pretty to watch and soured on the pitch towards the end. But unlike Rodgers he managed to completely turn the ship around and the rebuild he oversaw was very good. 

• Like 3

Watched Russell Martin present at a conference today. Wasn't keen on him when links were made with him coming here, but he came across quite well and not someone who I would be fully against as I was initially-although still not sold on the style of football.

Some interesting bits I took from his presentation. He's massive on man management and developing the player and individual. He wants players who are committed to how he wants teams to play and he's not afraid to ask experienced players to adapt their style if he feels it suits the needs of the team- see Dean Lewington at MK Dons. He described coming across 3 groups of players when he has come into his two roles at MK Dons and Swansea.

1. Those who don't buy in or don't want to play to his style- he'll be honest with them and tell them that they won't feature under him- been fortunate enough to move them on

2. Those who sit on the fence and don't want to commit to the real hands on coaching style he utilises, says that the majority after have brought into what he wants to do after being in the environment for a short period

3. Those who fully buy in and take a lead- referenced Lewington at MK Dons and Keogh and Jerome were keen to join and be involved, Naughton and Grimes at Swansea

It appears he likes to use his senior players as mentors to help put the messages across that him and his coaching staff want to the players to be familiar with. In developing players he does a lot of individual work in feedback from matches and training, they then address this as a unit- this is where your more senior players may take a lead, once units have been addressed then they come together and work on it as a team. He was keen to put across this approach ensures everyone has a chance to feedback, learn and develop in their own way. Some players want their individuals as a 1-2-1 with him, some want it with one of his coaches who is more familiar to their position, some will want analysts, some won't- others will ask for other players to be involved. 

He addressed his finishes in the league- not being ultimately successful was something he joked about and referenced quite often. He stated that he was given the Swansea job after his role in developing a number of young players at MK Dons and selling them on. Swansea have a number of players who they believe could be developed and bring in some real money for them to secure their future- he says that most, including fans will look at their finishes and say that he's failing, but states the reason he's still in a job at Swansea is because their aim isn't immediate promotion. Made me think this is probably why Southampton are after him with their young squad.

Finally he said he acknowledges he will get sacked a number of times, or won't even get considered for jobs because of his style of play, and the fact that he will continue to stick to his beliefs of how the game should be played and his teams should be coached. Overall I thought he came across really well, seemed like a good genuine guy who has the best interests of his players at heart, there were other bits that I won't delve into or put online as what he shared seemed a bit personal and was quite open and honest with the crowd. Just not sure I could watch another manager who openly states he wants his teams to 'dominate the ball', however that is a massively oversimplified statement to what he wants from his team.

• Thanks 2