Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

His style of play, having heard from Fulham/Bournemouth fans, is that it's exactly like Rodgers'. 

Dull, cautious, possession-based, low chance creation, negative and defensive. 

We don't want that. Especially enduring it with Rodgers. And look where that got us. 

Have to have someone that will want to defend from the front and attack  on the front foot. Not passive. 

And then eventually turn on the players and fans when things start to go wrong

You know the comments people are making regards Scott Parker....don't you think that perhaps he might have made a mistake and realises and will be different in his next job? Just because he called out the Bournemouth board, doesn't mean he's going to do the same with us. 

He's a young manager and will obviously be constantly learning, I just think it's a bit odd to categorise the guy based on past errors.

4 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

You genuinely think Rodgers gave his all last season? Tried everything possible to improve us? Bollocks. He threw his toys out the pram and made little to no effort to work with the players he had. He knew his career wouldn't be tarnished as he made it clear to anyone that would listen that it was everyone's fault but his. The board, the players, the fans, anyone was to blame but him and some idiots in the media who don't actually watch our games or take note of anything going on at the club actually believed him. Of course the board and players have some responsibility for our downfall but Rodgers actions last season were a disgrace! 

If Celtic finish 2nd next year he's finished, an given that they only won the league by 7 points this season and he has proved on 3 occasions he isn't a good manager for a Title race x1 and CL run in x2, as well as leaving so he didn't get a relegation on his cv in my opinion, I'd back Rangers if the league goes close next season.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, CosbehFox said:

I don't think we did win the league hitting it in the channels and to say that, actually does our team a great dis-service. 

We won the league getting the ball very successfully from one half of the pitch to the other. But that often involved using Kante's ball transfer skills, Mahrez's agility and Albrighton's accuracy in crossing. Very rarely did the ball go from one of the full backs be punted down the line. We'd more likely to slip a pass behind a high lined defence but this would be a cute reserve pass or a counter attack. 

Secondarily, we played that way because teams disastrously chose to play high lines on us - Vardy and Mahrez could exploit with their pace in behind. Man City don't have that luxury - every team sits deep on them. So they have to keep the ball and get the tempo high to get opposition out of position. 

So we did play it long into the channels, as I said, but you just explained it with slighlty more grace than I did.

1 minute ago, Beachyboy said:

If Celtic finish 2nd next year he's finished, an given that they only won the league by 7 points this season and he has proved on 3 occasions he isn't a good manager for a Title race x1 and CL run in x2, as well as leaving so he didn't get a relegation on his cv in my opinion, I'd back Rangers if the league goes close next season.

BR's and Postecoglu's teams couldn't be more different, either. How the players AP recruited at Sellik will react to Brendan-ball will be interesting, Rangers were absolute muck for the first half of the season also, so you'd expect them to improve!

1 minute ago, splinterdream said:

I don't think possession based football was the problem with Rodgers, I'd say it was fitness levels and a lack of organisation and team balance. We would have a high line, but not consistently press the opponents, with no thought to the forwards breaking at pace, our fullbacks would compact and leave lots of space for the opponents wide players. Possession is good, but there's a way to play it, and without it, you need to press, and that requires fitness.

Great post ....worthy of more than a thumbs up 👌

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, nathan. said:

I think the heat is sending people crazy.

Relax what will be will be.

We ArE wHeRe We ArE...

Edited by AjcW
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, splinterdream said:

I don't think possession based football was the problem with Rodgers, I'd say it was fitness levels and a lack of organisation and team balance. We would have a high line, but not consistently press the opponents, with no thought to the forwards breaking at pace, our fullbacks would compact and leave lots of space for the opponents wide players. Possession is good, but there's a way to play it, and without it, you need to press, and that requires fitness.

I agree. There was plenty wrong. But one of the things would be that we would tend to keep hold of the ball too long in certain areas, without trying to actually create anything. And on some occasions, it would get us into trouble. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I agree. There was plenty wrong. But one of the things would be that we would tend to keep hold of the ball too long in certain areas, without trying to actually create anything. And on some occasions, it would get us into trouble. 

Lack of balance and being too static, if you have the ball the player should have 2/3 options at all times, with us there'd only be 1. For me it broke down when we played Ndidi, Tielemens had no one to play off, and our attack broke down, that's why he bought soumare, but as we know that didn't work, and due to our centre backs pushing up our fullbacks wouldn't overlap, we had no right sided forward so it'd always go to Barnes, it was a mess