Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

If EM does come in, I pray he brings his own coaches.   Lets start a fresh and give it a go.   All the backroom failures need to go otherwise it will be akin to getting a divorce and still going to the ex Mother-in-Law´s gaff for Sunday Lunch every week.

2 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Plus we can’t properly play tippy tappy. See last season’s goals conceded and our passing completion. Truly awful. 

This is my worry. Look at the players we are going to be left with. Thomas, hamza, wout, daka, kdh.

Not one of them can pass a football.  Will need a complete clear out. Even the keeper can't play with his feet.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, SK3Blue said:

Not convinced on Maresca, but then I'm not on Parker or Hoefkens either. If this is the best we can come up with, it's completely uninspiring.

Rudkin at his finest yet again, no doubt he dithered and circulated the opportunity  after relegation confirmed while most of them are on holiday instead of having preliminary talks 2 months ago. Useless tool.

I think that’s harsh tbf. i don’t think it’s uninspiring or underwhelming, we really have no expectation of how he’d be. If it is to be Maresca then he’s only just had the champions league final and all the celebrations and he’d need to get together a whole back room staff team to accompany him so it’s bound to take some time. This seems like an overreaction to me. 

Don’t get me wrong, if it is him and we take another 2 weeks then it will have been poorly managed.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

Plus we can’t properly play tippy tappy. See last season’s goals conceded and our passing completion. Truly awful. 

we can play it, but under rodgers the last 18months we overplayed it, when we went tippy tappy instead of cutting it with longer passes

12 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

I'm not trying to defend the club as they've made monumental mistakes over the past 18 months or so. But I don't they can win with this appointment as we're not going to be appointing someone like Pep and Klopp. If they go for someone like Parker some of us (including me) will complain that it is uninspiring, unambitious and short term, even if  he "knows the Championship". Whereas if they go for someone like Maresca, there will be others who claim it is a massive risk as he lacks experience as a number 1, etc, even though there have equally been lots of calls for the club to think outside the box.

Let's face it neither option is perfect but that's what where we are as a club at the moment. I suppose I'm in the place where I want to dream, as Claudio might say; Maresca promises something unknown and exciting,  and his potential seems so much greater than the likes of Parker, so I would rather gamble on him. Yes he doesn't know the Championship but neither did Kompany who won it at a canter last season. Plus Kompany didn't have an amazing prior track record - he finished 11th in the Belgian league with the largest club in the country, Anderlecht. And he was successful in undertaking a full squad rebuild after Burnley's relegation, so it can be done. I would rather try to emulate that, which is what Maresca offers the chance to do. It's not even as if Kompany was a one off last season - Carrick also showed the impact that an assistant from a big club can have in their first managerial role at Championship level. So it's Maresca for me. 

They could win with all of our sane fans by approaching Bristol City and making Nigel an offer he can’t refuse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, adam said:

This is my worry. Look at the players we are going to be left with. Thomas, hamza, wout, daka, kdh.

Not one of them can pass a football.  Will need a complete clear out. Even the keeper can't play with his feet.

Keeper being unable to play with his feet is a big one if either Maresca or McKenna get the job because it’s quite integral to the way they play. 

Really dislike people betting on odds like this..

No wonder there's problems with gambling in general.

(The incident where the Leicester man took his own life after gambling consumed his mind has genuinely put me off the 'betting game' a lot.)

• Like 1

I suppose it's about whether you want the club to play with an identity, and build something for the long term, or you just want to get out the championship at all costs, at the first time of asking. Maresca does seem like he would be a good longer term appointment, and might need some time, whereas someone like Parker might get us out of the league at the first attempt playing - apparently - pretty turgid football.

Maresca is a big gamble, but everything I've read about him points to a thoughtful, astute, intelligent and well-regarded coach - I'm not ready to write him off based at one stint at Parma. I actually think we have a huge opportunity this summer, to lay the groundwork for the next few years and reset things in a way the vast majority of football clubs never get the chance to. It will certainly be an interesting appointment, and whether he succeeds or not will hinge on whether the board pull their finger out and start giving a shit about the direction of this club again.

• Like 3

If we appoint EM it's an appointment that let's be honest no one expected. I'm willing to give him a chance. It's just nice not to be potentially appointing a manager from usual pool of suspects which people were complaining about earlier on in the thread. 

Edited by sharpylcfc
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mark_w said:

They could win with all of our sane fans by approaching Bristol City and making Nigel an offer he can’t refuse.

Fancy no such offer exists, anyway why would he come back here now? He steered this ship towards our recent successes, for that he cannot be praised highly enough, but let him be as he seems happy enough at BC

I'd be happy with Maresca.

The only concern I have is the players you assume we'll be left with come the start of the season (KDH, Hamza, Iversen) don't really fit the 'total football' criteria - thus making our rebuild even bigger potentially.

2 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

If we appoint EM it's an appointment that let's be honest no one expected. I'm willing to give him a chance. It's just nice not to be potentially appointing a manager from usual pool of suspects which people were complaining about earlier on in the thread. 

Hope I am wrong but this has a feel of disaster about it if it is Maresca.

Massive risk. At least you know what you are getting with Parker (I do not want him either). Patience will not be at the forefront of us all if we are sat 16th after 12 games.

As important as it is to get the right person, time is also passing and this really needs to be sorted out quickly. The transfer window is now open and opens fully on 1st July. You would like to think we'd have someone in place before then starting to formulate some kind of recruitment plan.

We seem to have a board with no forward planning ideas on the football side of things. The time for dithering is at an end.

1 hour ago, The Doctor said:

Only if you're a Charles Reep acolyte and make the asanine assumption that Rodgers style of play over the last 18 months is the only way to have possession. The city group teams have a lot of possession because they've got a far bigger budget and better squad than their competition, so teams set up in a low block against them and don't look to go toe to toe. But, the style on the ball is looking to use possession to break lines quickly and create chances, and to press with intensity on turnovers, forcing risky dribbles or low percentage passes from the opposing defenders. It's the polar opposite of what we played under Rodgers 

I read an article a few days ago about Man City and Maresca, I think it was a quote from Maresca saying their style of play was not about possession, it was about control. I think this is the difference, when we had the ball last season we usually didn't know what to do with it, no one was showing for it and the opposition knew they could press whenever they were ready and get the ball back.

• Like 1

One positive at least with Maresca… links / relationships with Man City’s u23’s etc. 

Cole Palmer for example who could be sent out on loan… opportunity to actually get some good youngsters in rather than the Ryan Bertrand’s of this world. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Fosse93 said:

I'd be happy with Maresca.

The only concern I have is the players you assume we'll be left with come the start of the season (KDH, Hamza, Iversen) don't really fit the 'total football' criteria - thus making our rebuild even bigger potentially.

Total football in The championship 😂😂... 

You need physicality, directness and effort to do well in this division!! 

• Like 1

It’s completely unknown and that at least makes it more exciting than Parker. Let’s be honest, the club can’t really win can they … no one knows how this will go. But at least they are trying something different. I’m fine with it