Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Just now, FoxesWalk said:

Any chance we are holding out for Potter to make his final decision? Wouldn’t be surprised. Still think it’ll be Enzo most likely. 

Trouble is tho it would be typical of this club to wait for Potter to make his mind up ( even tho he seems to have done so !) that we’d miss out on Maresca and end up with someone we don’t even really want !

It really depends on what support network he has around him. I envisage the club will be unusually quick when it comes to transfers this pre season, because we’re fishing in a smaller pond, and we’ve got the Gucci gear. 

If Maresca is given the tools, and has a good team around him. We could be on to a winner. 

It is a risk, but if it pays off we could be laughing. His connections to Man City will help, and you can’t ignore the fact he’s left a side that’s just won a treble. 

It’s intriguing that’s for sure, it’s one of those gambles that if it pays off then we will all be over the moon, it doesn’t and things can quickly go sour again.

But, a completely fresh face and different approach could benefit us. 

All shall be revealed….. possibly…… maybe before the first game? 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Hope I am wrong but this has a feel of disaster about it if it is Maresca.

Massive risk. At least you know what you are getting with Parker (I do not want him either). Patience will not be at the forefront of us all if we are sat 16th after 12 games.

I can understand what you're saying but we could be in that position with a more experienced manager too. 

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

You mean like Burnley last season? Or Fulham the season before? Or Norwich before that? All possession-based sides. 

Yep.

And if you get it right, you tend to go up. 

One thing Maresca should have is a similar ideology to Pep. So hopefully we will see some more strapping athletic players. It’s been a monumental annoyance to me that Brendan was obsessed with small “technical” players. 

You need to strike a good balance, and it could explain why we’ve had so many injuries, because we’ve just signed players that aren’t physically robust? 

Either way you need a balanced mix, but the sides you mentioned all had that….. a mix of physical presence and an ability to play. Which, you would expect Maresca will like! 

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, mozartfox said:

If EM does come in, I pray he brings his own coaches.   Lets start a fresh and give it a go.   All the backroom failures need to go otherwise it will be akin to getting a divorce and still going to the ex Mother-in-Law´s gaff for Sunday Lunch every week.

I think the choices made (by him or us) on his Coaching team, will be paramount on success - especially for a promotion battle, rather than a longish rebuilding scheme.

I say, 'by him or us', as I genuinely think we need input on his Assistants and not just rely on his picks (as is often the case with experienced incoming Managers). I would hope we also get one or two Coaches with a good knowledge of the Championsip. Perhaps even the likes of Shakey being kept on?!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, sharpylcfc said:

I can understand what you're saying but we could be in that position with a more experienced manager too. 

Yes we could but I also think that there would be a bigger belief that they could turn it around.

Could well tip what is already a toxic feeling to the club over the edge. 

43 minutes ago, Collymore said:

I see Big Sam's odds have shortened. Surely we haven't interviewed him? 

If the club have interviewed Maresca and Sam Allardyce then it would confirm what we already know in that the club have no clear strategy. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Pliskin said:

But isn’t that what Sousa tried? And it when Pete Tong….

But didn't Sousa try it at the expense of fitness?  Possibly that was the bigger factor in his failure than the type of football he tried.

I would also disagree about the quality needed to play in a Man City style.  All you need is players who can play a short, accurate quick pass.  That doesn't require huge quality, but it does depend on having teammates that give you options for a pass, and that depends on coaching and fitness.  

The other factor is that you can't say that the players we retain are incapable of such a simple approach (OK, maybe a few), specially as it also depends a lot on confidence, which has currently been drained out of the players.  We will be supplementing the squad with a number of incoming players, and possibly a few from our academy, most of which may be bright and capable youngsters.

I'd rather look forward to this as an exciting opportunity to rebuild, especially after the dross and flatness we've been witnessing over the last few seasons.

Final, more realistic proviso - yes, I know, it's the hope that kills you. :D :scarf:

Edited by deep blue
Grammar

My nervousness with Maresca, and it was the same with Hoefkens, is the small sample of games managed. It's a huge gamble and it could really backfire.

The points about the Man City loans are very true though, we could end up with some very talented youngsters to help us out.

2 minutes ago, ealingfox said:

Well, at least Maresca half-rhymes with Leicester. 

Will be pretty easy to get a shit chant for him. 

I'm warming to the gamble of Enzo, even if it's just for the potential links. Good loan signings are essential. 

2 hours ago, Matt said:

We are looking at someone who Celtic obviously didn't fancy, who are incidentally looking to appoint their/our old manager over him.

Let that just sink in for a moment.

Has it definitely been confirmed that Celtic didn't want him other than them choosing Rodgers?

For once I can actually see Seagrave being a positive influence in his decision making. It's widely publicised that our facilities are some of the best in Europe and will easily eclipse those of Celtic's, so from a coach's perspective I can see that being a huge draw as it'll be like being home from home having been used to Man City's training setup. 

Add in his association with Pep and their relationship in terms of further developing Man City's young players via possible loans which will enhance the chances of us bouncing back, the fact that the board have demonstrated high levels of loyalty to previous managers and he'll most likely get the time he needs to embed his playing style without too much pressure from the board, the future planned stadium development, and also the fact that if he gets us back up quickly he could be a PL manager within a year, there's a good number of reasons why we could be deemed more attractive than a move to Celtic. 

Also, whilst it's likely that some of the players with little time left on their contracts will want out, technically speaking their immediate future for the coming season is in the hands of the club so he and the club may gamble on keeping them to get promotion at the first attempt and see if we can convince them to stay once we're back in the PL.

Of course there's the risk that the appointment goes disastrously wrong and we flounder around mid-table but I just think with the right man in charge and irrespective of whether certain players leave or not we still have a sizeable amount of quality relative to the other teams in the league to be challenging. 

I think the other question worth considering is if you had the choice right now to choose between an unproven Enzo Maresca or Brendan Rodgers, which one would you choose? I absolutely know which one I'd take and it wouldn't be the David Brent. 

Edited by ian__marshall

21 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

You mean like Burnley last season? Or Fulham the season before? Or Norwich before that? All possession-based sides. 

Not to mention MC has evolved into a pretty physical side under Pep in recent years.  They’ve got more than their share of bullies and chippy players.

Considering where we are and what the likely alternatives are, I like the idea of giving Enzo a shot.  It’s a risk, but there’s a lot of upside if it works out.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Zaphod Beeblebrox said:

Yes we could but I also think that there would be a bigger belief that they could turn it around.

Could well tip what is already a toxic feeling to the club over the edge. 

With the toxic feeling towards the club I think regardless of who the manager is  fans could turn on them quick if we don't start well. I think the manager's job regardless of who takes it is a bit of a poisoned chalice because of the fans feeling towards the club. I think that fans will turn quicker than usual and probably vent their frustration more towards the board than the manager for getting it wrong. Arguably the biggest appointment since KP took over.

• Like 1

Would much rather Maresca than any of other names mentioned (bar Potter, but that's not happening).

It would feel much more a reset than the likes of Parker, Smith etc and hopefully give the place a lift.