Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

10 minutes ago, LVFox said:

Apparently met with his board on Sunday, disagreed with how much they'd be investing in the summer so he quit on the spot.

He'd love Rudkin wouldn't he 🤣

Well I think the difference is that he's being asked to go and win the league, but with no money.  He can either ridiculously over achieve and do it, or he will be deemed a failure.   Our situation would be slightly different. 

Moot point though as our club seem to be obsessed with english managerial experience. A step outside the box would be most welcome though. 

• Like 2

We need a manager with a vision, sounds like a silly cliche but with the rebuild we need whichever manager arrives has to see themselves in it for the long haul. Rodgers talks a good game but he slowly brings too many of his acolytes. It always felt like he had an eye on a move anyway.

Hiring a "he'll get us up" and we might have to sack them soon after manager isn't any good.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Lambert09 said:

Well I think the difference is that he's being asked to go and win the league, but with no money.  He can either ridiculously over achieve and do it, or he will be deemed a failure.   Our situation would be slightly different. 

Moot point though as our club seem to be obsessed with english managerial experience. A step outside the box would be most welcome though. 

Not in the Championship imo with the amount of internal work needed at our club

We need someone that can get to grips with the division, recruitment and a complete refresh whilst the attritional nature of the Championship is tough plus we need an approach that can be a good basis for the prem again - so fixing the spine for example will be critical!

Personally I would rather us go for someone who can relate to today's modern over paid players with a clear plan but also has cut their teeth in England or Scotland - hopefully the ambition of the Chairman burns as strongly as it did with his father so he will find this whole situation unacceptable - learn from it but absolutely invest in the quality to get it right!

All facets of the board, footballing management and players have contributed to the perfect storm but we can go again if the next 8 weeks are managed proactively and getting the manager right is critical - no big outsider gambles for me and certainly not someone who is a punt!

56 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

Not in the Championship imo with the amount of internal work needed at our club

We need someone that can get to grips with the division, recruitment and a complete refresh whilst the attritional nature of the Championship is tough plus we need an approach that can be a good basis for the prem again - so fixing the spine for example will be critical!

Personally I would rather us go for someone who can relate to today's modern over paid players with a clear plan but also has cut their teeth in England or Scotland - hopefully the ambition of the Chairman burns as strongly as it did with his father so he will find this whole situation unacceptable - learn from it but absolutely invest in the quality to get it right!

All facets of the board, footballing management and players have contributed to the perfect storm but we can go again if the next 8 weeks are managed proactively and getting the manager right is critical - no big outsider gambles for me and certainly not someone who is a punt!

I do think that Kompany's success has probably shown that english managerial experience isnt needed. I very much doubt he had any prior knowledge of the championship but at least he was accustomed to the english dressing room ways.   

Our position is fairly similar to theirs in honesty, they had to start from scratch and somehow seemed to get every transfer decision bang on. 

I think there are 2 ways you can look at it, go for a safer bet but with the pure intention of getting back up... or you go for someone who's glass ceiling is unknown and has the chance to not only get us up but build something that could be really solid for future success. Im not sure which way we should go, im open to both but the one thing we need is someone with a vision and the ability to start from nothing. Just a few posts above, I state that id go for Rafa... thats largely because he tends to do very well in the transfer market and would be a safe pair of hands imo. 

I do think weve seen in the past where a manager who has a focus on a particular region, can be more successful.  Wolves with the poruguese, Watford with the italians, bunley with players form belgium, norwich with the germans.  Perhaps RVN would be the same sort of rebuild with his knowledge of talent from the Netherlands.. thats what would excite me the most about him

Edited by Lambert09
  • Like 3

andrea-pirlo-juventus_1tt5usjd0zdht1qhdw

Don't care if he's just been sacked by a non-descript Turkish team, after years of Rodgers & now the banality of Dean Smith & his £5 hair cut, I need to see these luscious locks on our touchline next year. 

Edited by EnderbyFox
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

I do think that Kompany's success has probably shown that english managerial experience isnt needed. I very much doubt he had any prior knowledge of the championship but at least he was accustomed to the english dressing room ways.   

Our position is fairly similar to theirs in honesty, they had to start from scratch and somehow seemed to get every transfer decision bang on. 

I think there are 2 ways you can look at it, go for a safer bet but with the pure intention of getting back up... or you go for someone who's glass ceiling is unknown and has the chance to not only get us up but build something that could be really solid for future success. Im not sure which way we should go, im open to both but the one thing we need is someone with a vision and the ability to start from nothing. Just a few posts above, I state that id go for Rafa... thats largely because he tends to do very well in the transfer market and would be a safe pair of hands imo. 

I do think weve seen in the past where a manager who has a focus on a particular region, can be more successful.  Wolves with the poruguese, Watford with the italians, bunley with players form belgium, norwich with the germans.  Perhaps RVN would be the same sort of rebuild with his knowledge of talent from the Netherlands.. thats what would excite me the most about him

He was not a bad player in England ….my point was more someone that has experienced the English game ….personally would take a Gerrard/Potter/Hassenhutl over an overseas newbie …..just my view 

5 hours ago, Stadt said:

We need a manager with a vision, sounds like a silly cliche but with the rebuild we need whichever manager arrives has to see themselves in it for the long haul. Rodgers talks a good game but he slowly brings too many of his acolytes. It always felt like he had an eye on a move anyway.

Hiring a "he'll get us up" and we might have to sack them soon after manager isn't any good.

That's what puts me off Parker really.

23 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

He was not a bad player in England ….my point was more someone that has experienced the English game ….personally would take a Gerrard/Potter/Hassenhutl over an overseas newbie …..just my view 

I’m the opposite. Rather have an overseas newbie. Don’t want Gerrard or Lampard. Potter won’t come to us if we’re in the championship. I keep changing my mind on Hassenhutl. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

I absolutely adore Ruud Van Nistelrooy being referred to as "not a bad player in England" 

Quite the understatement 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, LVFox said:

I absolutely adore Ruud Van Nistelrooy being referred to as "not a bad player in England" 

Quite the understatement 

I was referring to Kompany and it was sarcasm !

2 hours ago, Old Fox said:

Wouldn’t have taken the Brighton manager then? 

11 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Personally, I would still be going all out for Rafa. 

This. 

Whether we are in the championship or manage to stay up. The current regime alongside Rodgers have systematically destroyed everything that would make us any sort of functional club. Add to that the large influx of players we are likely to see, next season could potentially be far more disruptive that this. 

We need a manager who is experienced, respected and basically proven. Rafa has all of those and at Liverpool, Newcastle and Everton he has worked under volatile and desperately poor ownership like we have here. Only at Everton has it not worked for him. 

Having any sort of question mark over the manager will just add to the uncertainty. We could potentially bring 7/8 players who simply make up the starting 11 and that means we need at least 6 of those to be “hits” for it to be any sort of successful season. Success for me would be to simply stay up in the PL or to hit mid to late play off push in the championship. That’s a big ask. Rafa is a known figure who could offer that little bit of certainty that I think we will be desperately missing next season. 

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Stadt said:

:pearson:

11 hours ago, Lambert09 said:

Personally, I would still be going all out for Rafa. 

he’d want money to spend and I’m not sure we’ll have a lot of it.. 

besides, boring football.

• Like 1

I don’t mind Deano, if Terry sticks around, but only if Sadler goes. There is still too much Rodgerism in the existing coaching team.

I like the fact that he went for it in the earlier games. Brough Nacho back and dropped Ndidi, though disappointed he has reversed that and never thought of Mendy.  If only he has Albrighton at his disposal given that he seems to want to bring back some of the counter attacking game we used to have.

I think with a proper summer to prepare, he can do much better. 

Edited by Tom12345

2 hours ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Top you idiot child, show us you are serious and go all out for Rafa.

Please Don't 

Boring, negative football !!

His time has passed. Football has moved on !!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

There seems to be serious shouts for Potter, I’d love to see his style of play with iheanacho up top

wouldnt shock me if we went all out(in a sense for him)and would be a decent project for him here and him doing well would certainly bring his rep back after the chelsea shitshow

think whatever division we are in come august, it will be a massive job just for the player turn over

• Like 1

15 hours ago, EnderbyFox said:

andrea-pirlo-juventus_1tt5usjd0zdht1qhdw

Don't care if he's just been sacked by a non-descript Turkish team, after years of Rodgers & now the banality of Dean Smith & his £5 hair cut, I need to see these luscious locks on our touchline next year. 

That would be the season his hairline starts receding

• Haha 1