Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, StanSP said:

I think it might be too soon by 2025 for Maresca to go there. 

I reckon it'll be Arteta, or perhaps even Kompany. 

Agree re Kompany. Big season for him. If he doesnt get it right and Burlney sack him then it will certainly set him back.

• Like 1

The loans are a massive bonus. 

3 or so free transfer

3 or so quality loans

1 or 2 youth players going through

... This cuts how many players we need to buy from like 13/14 to 5/6 (assuming that people we expect to leave actually do) which increases how much we can spend on each individual player. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nugent said:

Actually excited by this!

Harwood-Bellis, Tommy Doyle, Callum Doyle and McAtee all had good seasons in the Championship last year on loan from Man City - all getting promoted or making the play off final. They breed winners there, could do a lot worse than getting a couple of loans in.

Hopefully Cole Palmer! 

Edited by Pliskin

14 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I have no concerns with this at all. Celtic are in a very different position to us and will be looking to try and do better in the champions league next season. They may have concluded they needed more experience for that but that doesnt mean they may have considered him a bad candidate. I don't think we would have been appointing Enzo if we were in the PL. We've taken this type of route due to our circumstances.

Furthermore, the Rodgers appointment could still fall through. I can imagine he will be going in with all his control demands etc and the guy is a grade A pric*.

If they wanted someone with more experience for Europe, then surely you'd avoid Bodgers? His only experience to date with Liverpool, Celtic and Leicester in Europe is to make a right royal cock up of it!

4 minutes ago, Nugent said:

Actually excited by this!

Harwood-Bellis, Tommy Doyle, Callum Doyle and McAtee all had good seasons in the Championship last year on loan from Man City - all getting promoted or making the play off final. They breed winners there, could do a lot worse than getting a couple of loans in.

Have read Man City aren't keen on loaning out McAtee for this coming season as they see him ready for the first team squad which is a shame

Mad, isn't it? Most of us are far more excited by the prospect of having a manger who has spent most of his coaching career as an assistant and whose only job in management was a short-lived failure than we are by a manager who has been promoted twice from this division. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 4

Didn't Southampton buy all the good prospects they didn't want? Can't see McAtee having another Championship loan, nor Cole Palmer dropping down when he'll easily play for a bottom half Prem team. It's the Oscar Bobb types with no league experience we'll end up being offered.

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Mad, isn't it? Most of us are far more excited by the prospect of having a manger who as spent most of his coaching career as an assistant and whose only job in management was a short-lived failure than we are by a manager who has been promoted twice from this division. 

But he has a exotic name !!! So it's yes from me.

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Mad, isn't it? Most of us are far more excited by the prospect of having a manager who as spent most of his coaching career as an assistant and whose only job in management was a short-lived failure than we are by a manager who has been promoted twice from this division. 

Edited by Stopharage
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, lcfcsnow said:

Didn't Southampton buy all the good prospects they didn't want? Can't see McAtee having another Championship loan, nor Cole Palmer dropping down when he'll easily play for a bottom half Prem team. It's the Oscar Bobb types with no league experience we'll end up being offered.

True, the better ones will probably get a loan to Burnley.

1 minute ago, BenTheFox said:

Mad, isn't it? Most of us are far more excited by the prospect of having a manger who as spent most of his coaching career as an assistant and whose only job in management was a short-lived failure than we are by a manager who has been promoted twice from this division. 

I wish the bloke luck, he will need it, but in our situation a more prosaic coach would be safer. Forum posters always want a bit of excitement don't they and have been known to wet their pants over clueless " inverted" wingers.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, An Sionnach said:

I wish the bloke luck, he will need it, but in our situation a more prosaic coach would be safer. Forum posters always want a bit of excitement don't they and have been known to wet their pants over clueless " inverted" wingers.

I was relatively on board with Parker until I saw what Fulham and Bournemouth fans had to say about him. He left Fulham having just been relegated so I could somewhat understand them having a negative opinion of him, I was more concerned by what Bournemouth fans had to say. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Can we just clear up that Kompany didn't have a howler at Anderlecht? He finished 3rd and 4th. They aren't the force they once were. 2 seasons is decent experience as well.

bad example, i think some managers just fit hand in glove in some places, like Nathan Jones when he was at Luton, did shit at Southampton and Stoke

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Merchant_Banker said:

I read an article a few days ago about Man City and Maresca, I think it was a quote from Maresca saying their style of play was not about possession, it was about control. I think this is the difference, when we had the ball last season we usually didn't know what to do with it, no one was showing for it and the opposition knew they could press whenever they were ready and get the ball back.

Yep and that's the key difference. Man City and their acolytes use possession as a means to an end, with Rodgers, possession is the end. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

Pie in the sky thinking here.

You’ve got to think that if we get Enzo, it will be fully with Pep and Man City’s blessing. Pep is off in 2025 and Man City will be legacy planning. They’ll be hoping that Enzo will be able to demonstrate that he’s able to work towards replicating Pep’s style. Whether they’ll line him up to takeover from Pep will depend on how well his time at Leicester (or wherever) goes. 

As such, think we’ll get some decent loan offerings from Man City, Palmer maybe. I think it will also make us an appealing loan destination for other elite clubs. Here’s hoping. 

Bloke hasn't even took over here and you're giving him the Man City job in two years.

• Haha 1