Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

26 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

UEFA did but it was time barred at the CAS hearing allowing Man City to get off on a technicallity. That resulted in their 2-year ban from euro competitions being over turned. This has got potential to run and run. 

You would think the PL have damning evidence to back up these charges. I suspect Man City will have their lawyers all over this. I think that a lot of this was dealt with previously at the CAS hearing, and it didn't stick then. 

If it's all down to Mancini being paid illegally in 2009 I can't see that meaning much.

Just now, Mickyblueeyes said:

Is he a nice guy ? I dont want a nice guy who the media likes. I want one who annoys the other manager on the touchline. Insults the media. Calls the ref a disgrace. 

After Mr. Everyone Friend, I can't be dealing with that. 

Well, given he has worked under Pep…. I’d imagine he can be a bit of a bastard if he wants to be. 

4 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

How was he perceived by Parma supportors?

Anyone know 

As a Parma fan for over 52 years he was absolutely idolised even more than Buffon. That’s how much he’s worshipped in Southern Italy 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, Wortho said:

You would think the PL have damning evidence to back up these charges. I suspect Man City will have their lawyers all over this. I think that a lot of this was dealt with previously at the CAS hearing, and it didn't stick then. 

If it's all down to Mancini being paid illegally in 2009 I can't see that meaning much.

Not for this thread but Man City were banged to rights under the uefa charges but there is a time limit on bringing   charges - uefa were outside of that the limit - hence they got off at CAS under a technicality.

there is no time limit on the PL bringing a case 

2 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

Is he a nice guy ? I dont want a nice guy who the media likes. I want one who annoys the other manager on the touchline. Insults the media. Calls the ref a disgrace. 

well if he is Italian, they are generally quite passionate ... unlike some others we could mention 

6 minutes ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

He is bald and smokes big fat cigars. How much more of a b@stard does he need to be?

5 minutes ago, Ryy said:

As a Parma fan for over 52 years he was absolutely idolised even more than Buffon. That’s how much he’s worshipped in Southern Italy 

Since when is Parma in southern Italy?It’s between Bologna and Milan.

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Babylon said:

A love Pearson and defended him to the hilt, but much of our success under was was set around recruitment and the brilliance of Walsh and the system he set up, which was before it's time. He never flawed me tactically. 

It's true, he was more of a cog in the machinery than many managers are. But three points spring to mind.

Firstly, which of our managers has really impressed you tactically? To some, tactics are a matter of having the right game to get the right result. To others, it's a magical world of reinvented terminology which I tend to think some managers hide behind.

Secondly, isn't any manager responsible for the backroom team they assemble? I mean, you might not fancy O'Neill without Robertson nor Clough without Taylor - and our post-Pearson success suggests that his team were possibly so effective that the exact manager wasn't the most critical factor - but his recent progress with Bristol City may indicate that, like most bosses, he's able to assemble more than one team. It's not like he as boss was slotted into a pre-existing set-up, as most are. And, in terms of his ability to be successful without his 'men', getting Pearson without the other two (and, of course, one of the other two hasn't necessarily left yet) is still a surer bet than having Maresca without Pep.

Thirdly, if we go for Maresca, it smacks to me of a board who had to look at themselves, and have come out of the process concluding that an overly-influential manager was the issue. Not them. They don't want to have to entice a Carrick, Robins, Pearson, McKenna or Corberan, because they've learnt that they shouldn't be bowing to managers' demands and whims. So... Let's get someone who's a whole lot cheaper and isn't a manager at all. They haven't considered that their success was built not on their nous, but on having to listen to better managers and their ideas. The issue with Rodgers is that they allowed him to also employ his deeply flawed recruitment and medical teams. In other words, the problem wasn't that they were listening to a highly influential manager, but rather the wrong one. Or, to be fair to Rodgers, one who needed to be better-informed in key areas. They've perhaps looked for a more economical option who they don't need to listen to so much (at a time when we badly need fresh ideas), who knows how to play the way that they have us playing in their fantasies (when our success wasn't built on that either), and who might be able to secure a few cheap loans a la Sven (when we really need to forge a longer term project). Either that or they've just thought 'well, Arteta worked out, we'll have the next one. Simples.'

Of course, all this could be wrong. Maresca could just as easily be a good boss as not. And we might not even be going for him. Either way, we could well all be feeling very pleased with Rudkin come next June. And I'm not saying Pearson should be the man either, just that on paper an appointment of one of those in-work managers I mentioned is likelier to reap dividends than some of the trees we're reportedly barking up right now.