Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

20 minutes ago, MonarchFox said:

Anyone else getting Paulo Sousa vibes?

The difference is Sousa inherited a squad of players that were only really capable of playing a more direct brand of football. Pearson overachieved getting that team into the play-offs in my opinion. Maresca will have players that will have played at a technically higher standard of football as well as several players that he will want to bring in.

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Lionator said:

No because the circumstances are completely different and Paulo Sousa has turned out to be a highly competent manager since indicating that we were the problem.

Eh, he was the problem, made a lot of mistakes in preseason that scuppered him. What that indicates is he learnt from his mistakes 

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

He's actually very sexy for a bald man, a better shaped head than Esteban.

In just fourteen words you anger all bald men (who probably make up about 95% of this forum) and insult Cambiasso's head. Way to win friends and influence people!!

1 minute ago, Aleksz said:

This has absolutely clinched it for me.  Style on and off the pitch.  Might improve the Fox and Crap range too.

6 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

The difference is Sousa inherited a squad of players that were only really capable of playing a more direct brand of football. Pearson overachieved getting that team into the play-offs in my opinion. Maresca will have players that will have played at a technically standard of football as well as several players that he will want to bring in.

That's sort of my point really.  Will he not have the players available for the way he wants to play and therefore struggle.

Just now, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

The smaller, more portly Pep MK2 has a very slim CV. I'm not saying 'no'. But it feels like a bit of a punt to me. He's apparently not where Arteta was when he headed south. 

We are not where Arsenal were.

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, MonarchFox said:

That's sort of my point really.  Will he not have the players available for the way he wants to play and therefore struggle.

I believe the opposite. I believe that we will be far more likely to have the players to play a more technical style of football this time around. 

Edited by BenTheFox

51 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'd hope that a player who had won 5 Serie A titles, 5x Coppa Italia, a La Liga title and a Champions League and 52 Argentina caps would feel like he could gain the respect of a group of players who had just been promoted from the championship. 

He was instrumental in us staying up that season 

3 minutes ago, Marshall Cockney Fox said:

The smaller, more portly Pep MK2 has a very slim CV. I'm not saying 'no'. But it feels like a bit of a punt to me. He's apparently not where Arteta was when he headed south. 

Arteta was nowhere when he went south. 

His first 18 months as Arsenal manager in the PL were a joke. He was lucky to still be in a job come summer 21. Arsenal stuck with him and he’s worked wonders since.  

1 hour ago, Patrick said:

Said that he behaved more like a member of the coaching staff than a teammate or something along those lines.

To be fair I know vardy didn't get along with him when he was a player because he felt like he was trying to take over as a coach but if he actually was a coach they might have a different relationship

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, One Arm Babba said:

It does smack of desperation from both parties. Let’s assume he goes back there and wins the Scottish treble again, he’s going to be looking for a move back to the premier league asap. 

Celtic are either incredibly naive, or are locking him in to a contract he can’t break. 

Or even just the league. It's the perfect "reputation repair patch" for brand Todgers and his ego.

Look how brilliant I am  - I'm still elite and I told everyone the shit show at Leicester wasn't my fault, and it was everyone else that was to blaim.

Chuck in a few BS interviews of how well he's been supported ( even if not)  to move the team forward and further highlight his biggest gripe/ excuse of lack of funds for his failure here and reinforce the it wasn't me narrative.

I still detest the odious little fraud even now.

• Like 2

Just now, lcfcbluearmy said:

To be fair I know vardy didn't get along with him when he was a player because he felt like he was trying to take over as a coach but if he actually was a coach they might have a different relationship

Also we are talking nearly 10 years ago when Vardy was still only in his 3rd season as a professional footballer in the higher leagues, I think we can all see how Vardy has matured on and off the pitch over that time, and I would actually say Vardy probably carries a similar aura and professionalism nowadays. Wouldn’t be shocked if Vardy’s attitude and view of how Cambiasso conducted himself will have changed over the years 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Muzzy_no7 said:

Arteta was nowhere when he went south. 

His first 18 months as Arsenal manager in the PL were a joke. He was lucky to still be in a job come summer 21. Arsenal stuck with him and he’s worked wonders since.  

That is actually the biggest worry for me. What if this fella takes a long time to successfully implement his way of playing? I'm hoping that it doesn't take as long as it did with Arteta. I'm hoping that the outcome is difference due to the difference in level that Maresca will be dropping down to. 

Guest glasgowfox
8 minutes ago, weller54 said:

Even dictating our future direction? 

Everyone is entitled to an opinion.  However, if I had written what you had then I would either give my head a shake or delete the post.  

Edited by glasgowfox
Predictive text

Just now, BenTheFox said:

That is actually the biggest worry for me. What if this fella takes a long time to successfully implement his way of playing? I'm hoping that it doesn't take as long as it did with Arteta. I'm hoping that the outcome is difference due to the difference in level that Maresca will be dropping down to. 

A big difference is Arteta had a lot of players he needed to ship out, and had to take time to bring his own players in which took a significant period of time. 

Maresca will be able to shape the squad far more quickly working with Glover, as seven players have already left the club. 

• Like 1

There's no one on our 'realistic targets' list who it either wont go very well or very badly with. That's why it's not worth worrying about it this stage.

Personally i'd rather someone with his background than some of the others on the list. Especially as I think it could see a real change in style of play which we so desperately need.

At the end of the day if he loses 6 out of 8 he'll be gone and we will move on, it's not ideal but this situation isn't ideal lol