Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

48 minutes ago, Fazzer 7 said:

So long as it's not Smith, Gerrard, Lampard and any other failures I'm not too fussed.

Can't be many candidates out there for us if an average spell at Villa being Gerrard's worst spell at a club makes him a failure. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Parker is who I expect the club will go for

Promotions from the Championship with Fulham and Bournemouth, whilst playing possession side to side football

Wouldn't overly mind him in the Championship especially compared to the thought of us getting someone like Lampard, only issue would then be his ability at Premier League level.

11 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Can't be many candidates out there for us if an average spell at Villa being Gerrard's worst spell at a club makes him a failure. 

Villa were pretty awful under Gerrard. Emery came in a completely transformed them with pretty much an identical squad. Gerrard has done nothing that would qualify him to manage our club.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Number 6 said:

Even if you hadn't seen enough of a scattergun approach to rule Smith out on his time with us, surely the way he took Norwich down and completely tanked with a team expecting to compete at the top would rule him out anyway?

They were 5th and have done worse without him. But yes, they should have been competing higher.

I think Smith getting the job he currently has says more about why he wouldn't be ruled out.

8 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Villa were pretty awful under Gerrard. Emery came in a completely transformed them with pretty much an identical squad. Gerrard has done nothing that would qualify him to manage our club.

I think you're doing Emery a disservice, to put it simply he's better than Gerrard. I'm not saying we can't do better than Gerrard but if we're a championship club in a weeks time and a guy that did average in less than a year at Villa in the PL and knocked Celtic off their perch in the SPL is below our level, then I think you're setting the bar too high. 

8 minutes ago, CrispinLA in Texas said:

Brighton wanted Kjetil Knutsen before they got Zerbi and their owner seems to be on the ball in recruiting staff and players, so I'm be ok with him plus he plays attack minded attractive football with them scoring loads of goals.

Would love this.

Kjetil Knutsen joining Lars Knudsen.

The knuts.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I think you're doing Emery a disservice, to put it simply he's better than Gerrard. I'm not saying we can't do better than Gerrard but if we're a championship club in a weeks time and a guy that did average in less than a year at Villa in the PL and knocked Celtic off their perch in the SPL is below our level, then I think you're setting the bar too high. 

I'm not sure that being average for less than a year at a Prem club before being sacked is a qualification for managing us. Managing one of the old firm clubs in Scotland doesn't tell us anything about a manager's ability to manage in England, which means Gerrard's sole relevant experience as a manager is a brief mediocre period at a Premier League club that vastly improved as soon as they sacked him. Ask any Villa fan - they were tactically confused and devoid of identity when Gerrard managed them. Even the players didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing. 

I'm not setting the bar too high. Gerrard has done nothing whatsoever to demonstrate he should be even considered for the job at Leicester. The only reason he's managed at two high-profile clubs is because of his reputation as a player - he would never have been considered for either otherwise.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stinky said:

...didn't Celtic bring back Neil Lennon at that time, a previous manager who was sacked by Bolton in the Championship!!!

2 hours ago, Tommy Fresh said:

I don't want him to stay on, but they were fifth, a fair bit off of automatic but he hardly had them bottom half.

50 minutes ago, RedSoxUK said:

They were 5th and have done worse without him. But yes, they should have been competing higher.

I think Smith getting the job he currently has says more about why he wouldn't be ruled out.

Fair points. Didn't realise they were still in the playoffs at the time he left. 1.5ppg, on track for missing out on playoffs.

Would hope we can do better, but we need some imagination from those hiring.

Edited by Number 6
Stupid numbers

26 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I'm not sure that being average for less than a year at a Prem club before being sacked is a qualification for managing us. Managing one of the old firm clubs in Scotland doesn't tell us anything about a manager's ability to manage in England, which means Gerrard's sole relevant experience as a manager is a brief mediocre period at a Premier League club that vastly improved as soon as they sacked him. Ask any Villa fan - they were tactically confused and devoid of identity when Gerrard managed them. Even the players didn't seem to know what they were supposed to be doing. 

I'm not setting the bar too high. Gerrard has done nothing whatsoever to demonstrate he should be even considered for the job at Leicester. The only reason he's managed at two high-profile clubs is because of his reputation as a player - he would never have been considered for either otherwise.

Lol so give us some names then, remember to ensure they've managed in this country (else they may not be compatible) and they've never had an average or worse stint in charge of a club. 

9 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Lol so give us some names then, remember to ensure they've managed in this country (else they may not be compatible) and they've never had an average or worse stint in charge of a club. 

I didn't say that experience in other countries in general wasn't relevant - just Scotland. And Gerrard's only experience at managing in a quality league was brief and distinctly unimpressive, and ended up with him getting sacked. If he'd had proven success at managing other clubs at a decent level and had just had one average/poor spell at Villa, I'd probably regard him differently. But I don't think somebody who had one opportunity to manage in one of Europe's top five leagues and was was sacked after less than a year is qualified to manage us. And frankly I'm incredulous that anybody would even try to make a case for him.

Edited by ClaphamFox
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

It'd be great to stay up and get Potter in my view. 

He plays good football and did a great job at Brighton building the foundations for their Europa League qualification. 

I think he'd be very good here - steady the ship and improve the squad significantly 

3 minutes ago, Stinky said:

....isn't this our problem right there, we are not prepared to look or think outside the box!!!

All we are going to end up with are the Dean Smiths of this world, plodding around the Championship and getting nowhere. We cannot restrict ourselves to these managers, who are out of work because their last club, felt to keep them would have meant certain relegation, and are willing to take a chance on someone else.

1 minute ago, CrazyKopCorner said:

It'd be great to stay up and get Potter in my view. 

He plays good football and did a great job at Brighton building the foundations for their Europa League qualification. 

I think he'd be very good here - steady the ship and improve the squad significantly 

If we stay up, it may well be Potter. If we go down, it wouldn't surprise me if it does indeed turn out to be Parker. Both seem like exactly the kind of candidates our board would go for. 

5 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

If we stay up, it may well be Potter. If we go down, it wouldn't surprise me if it does indeed turn out to be Parker. Both seem like exactly the kind of candidates our board would go for. 

No doubt Parkers got a knack for getting sides back on track, I really needed to see how he got on with Bournemouth. It's if he gets us up, what happens then.. that's the question for me.

I would not be happy with Scott Parker. He scraped promotion with two sides who were way too good for the Championship, and then he got found out in the PL. He strikes me as a manager who tries to mask his blatant incompetence by blaming other people. 

We need a long-term manager. Take a gamble on somebody abroad. Under Parker, the best case scenario is that we would bounce back straightaway. That would be great *obviously* but we would be sat 20th by Christmas. 

Edited by Matt_Lcfc
  • Like 1

Whatever happens on Sunday I hope that the Club shows a bit of ambition in terms of who they appoint as the next manager, whether that is Knutsen, Hutter or Potter or similar.

I worry though, especially given how much work is due this Summer, the Board will go with one of the usual suspects and make a lazy decision just for speed’s sake.

Whatever league we are in, based on the turnover of players and honking performances / results,  we need someone to instill a new identity in the team.

Edited by JimmyC74

2 minutes ago, Rusko187 said:

No doubt Parkers got a knack for getting sides back on track, I really needed to see how he got on with Bournemouth. It's if he gets us up, what happens then.. that's the question for me.

It's a good question.

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

It's a good question.

People look at Parker as though he could be an abysmal appointment, but he's had 1 crack at PL with Fulham. He has to get another opportunity from somewhere, if we just give people 1 chance there's probably a lot of managers/players who we may never have seen again.

Like Vardy, he first came in and didn't do much... the rest is history! There are other managers I'd prefer, but I wouldn't be wholly against Parker.