Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

35 minutes ago, Number 6 said:

Fair points. Didn't realise they were still in the playoffs at the time he left. 1.5ppg, on track for missing out on playoffs.

Would hope we can do better, but we need some imagination from those hiring.

It's because they went on an appalling run, so most probably thought they were bottom half. 

23 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

I didn't say that experience in other countries in general wasn't relevant - just Scotland. And Gerrard's only experience at managing in a quality league was brief and distinctly unimpressive, and ended up with him getting sacked. If he'd had proven success at managing other clubs at a decent level and had just had one average/poor spell at Villa, I'd probably regard him differently. But I don't think somebody who had one opportunity to manage in one of Europe's top five leagues and was was sacked after less than a year is qualified to manage us. And frankly I'm incredulous that anybody would even try to make a case for him.

Absurd honestly lol like I said we risk being a championship by the end of the week, at that level a guy who did average (and got sacked as you like to keep pointing out) in one of Europe's top five leagues suddenly becomes below our level. That's astounding. Snobbery. What did you think when we pinched Rodgers from Celtic? I assume you weren't keen when we were linked with Postecoglou when Rodgers left?

No.

after being trounced 9-0 by Liverpool he was sacked after complaining his. squad were “I’ll equipped”.

Sounds familiar,

Plus he was the dirty bast@rd that double footed Darren Eadie ending his career!  Saw that and I can’t forgive

2 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Villa were pretty awful under Gerrard. Emery came in a completely transformed them with pretty much an identical squad. Gerrard has done nothing that would qualify him to manage our club.

Top will like having his photo taken with him …..

• Like 1

Any one that clears out the current coaches.  We need a complete refresh and Kompany has proven that experience of the Championship is not a nailed on prerequisite (although obviously is no bad thing).  There must a young British Coach out there or someone doing well in Europe.  

Edited by mozartfox

1 minute ago, mozartfox said:

Any one that clears out the current coaches.  We need a complete refresh and Kompany has proven that experience of the Championship is not a nailed on prerequisite (although obviously is no bad thing).  There must a young British Coach out there or in Europe.  

Edward Still 

Joke suggestion before someone points out his terrible record at Eupen 

Edited by Tommy Fresh

1 hour ago, Stinky said:

Absurd honestly lol like I said we risk being a championship by the end of the week, at that level a guy who did average (and got sacked as you like to keep pointing out) in one of Europe's top five leagues suddenly becomes below our level. That's astounding. Snobbery. What did you think when we pinched Rodgers from Celtic? I assume you weren't keen when we were linked with Postecoglou when Rodgers left?

Rodgers had done well with Swansea and Liverpool before Celtic, so he had more of a track record to go on. I don't have a strong view on Postecoglou - he's a very experienced manager but has never managed in one of the top leagues. Winning the title in Japan was a solid achievement, but I do wonder why he's never managed at the highest level at the age of 57. 

But you seem to be suggesting that Gerrard's 11-month failed spell at Villa would be enough for us to consider him. I just don't agree. It isn't just the fact that he got sacked, it's the way Villa played under him. He showed no sign of being able to organise them into an effective team with a clear identity. He is not remembered fondly at all among Villa fans. So the only evidence we have of him managing at a decent level is deeply discouraging.

• Like 2

Reading many of the posts on here make me feel that there will be a lot of disappointed fans whoever is appointed. 

We are no longer the attractive proposition we would have been a season or two ago whether we get relegated or scrape survival.

You may think we deserve a supermodel but in reality we are now in the realms of landing a just above average girl next door..

20 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Rodgers had done well with Swansea and Liverpool before Celtic, so he had more of a track record to go on. I don't have a strong view on Postecoglou - he's a very experienced manager but has never managed in one of the top leagues. Winning the title in Japan was a solid achievement, but I do wonder why he's never managed at the highest level at the age of 57. 

But you seem to be suggesting that Gerrard's 11-month failed spell at Villa would be enough for us to consider him. I just don't agree. It isn't just the fact that he got sacked, it's the way Villa played under him. He showed no sign of being able to organise them into an effective team with a clear identity. He is not remembered fondly at all among Villa fans. So the only evidence we have of him managing at a decent level is deeply discouraging.

I am simply saying based on his achievements at Rangers (did he take them deep in to Europe once as well?) in his first managerial job, toppling Celtic... On that does he deserve no place in the discussion for a rebuild job in the championship? I think it's harsh to say no "just because it's the SPL"  Based off his time at Villa, sure okay it wasn't great bully if you're going to write people off because they had a forgetful stint at a club, our shortlist will consist of 0 names. Realistic names anyway. 

I don't particularly want Gerrard, though I wouldn't be as offended as you would seem to be if he did get the job. One thing that he'd have over a number of candidates though is the effect he had on getting Coutinho to Villa , who pretty much said Gerrard was the reason he joined. A lot of players would want to play under him. 

What scares me is we are a few days away from needing a new manager urgently for a massive challenge and I really don’t have a scooby doo who we should go for.

I go from thinking it would be great to go left field and get an up and coming manager then to looking at the mammoth

job on and thinking we need an experienced hand to stabilise us for a season and ensure we don’t have another calamitous season.

3 hours ago, Rusko187 said:

No doubt Parkers got a knack for getting sides back on track, I really needed to see how he got on with Bournemouth. It's if he gets us up, what happens then.. that's the question for me.

His team gets stuffed, then he says it’s not his fault his players are all shite and he wasn’t backed in the transfer market.

So quite similar to the guy we just got rid of.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Fazzer 7 said:

Noooo, he's on my list of failures. NO1 for me is Potter, though I doubt he'd come anywhere near and that's if we could afford him.

I doubt that Potter would be interested in a Championship gig.     I’m assuming that he got a massive payday from Chelsea so he can afford to be picky.

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Can't argue with 2 promotions but there is something about Scott Parker that I just can't get behind. 

Would be great news for YouTube merchants to cut up his post match interviews after the Rotherham game and mix it with The Irony Of It All.