Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

I think this is much a much better appointment any willy pullers like Parker and Gerrard.

Parker is a quick fix, hoping he can wing a 3rd Championship promotion, odds say unlikely. 

Gerrard, well just no logic behind this one, offers nothing. Good Pro, shite manager. Needs to serve his time in the lower leagues to prove he has it.

I think this is more a long term plan, so we have to be patient. 

Hopefully we will see some less turgid football as watch some of the Rodgers ball was mind numbing. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Kopfkino said:

Still think if we wanted an experimental appointment and mate of De Zerbi, we should have gone for Farioli.

But good on the club for taking a chance amidst a sea of uninspiring names. Looking forward to seeing the players we sign now and the principals he introduces. Carrick showed at Boro what how tactically and technically good Championship sides can be.

Not sure how some of the least cultured football fans in the country will cope with the philosophy tho & i hope if things start slow the club don’t panic as our fans call for Big Sam to come in and have us lump it up to Souttar.

Laughing because I can see this happening lol

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Lillehamring said:

I know confidence in the board is low right now, but do you really think they'll hire him purely because 'he's worked with Pep' - he's had experience in various roles in various teams and is considered to have a very good all-round skill set and attitude.  Yes, there are managers available with more experience but by all accounts Maresca's ceiling is way above the other contenders.  There's no way this would be just a casual, novelty, random hire.

What experience has he had in various roles other than at Man City? Apart from failing at Parma I don’t see what else he’s done. He’s an assistant who we’re taking a risk on. If he was British we’d be saying what the fvck are we doing. But because he’s worked with Pep apparently  we can’t fail. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, winteriscoming said:

What experience has he had in various roles other than at Man City? Apart from failing at Parma I don’t see what else he’s done. He’s an assistant who we’re taking a risk on. If he was British we’d be saying what the fvck are we doing. But because he’s worked with Pep apparently  we can’t fail. 

It’s the equivalent of Alex Fergusons right hand man , admittedly that would mean McLaren but don’t look 👀 too deeply into that 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

Been saying for a while this would happen, it makes sense with the media blackout he was the number one target and they were waiting for the man city season to be over. 
personally very happy, bit of a gamble but excited at the same time. 

I’ve got a feeling we approached him earlier in the season but he wanted to finish out the season with Man City. Which I can respect.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Pep's assistant for just 1 season too... albeit he coached their U21's before his ill fated 14 games with Parma. 

It is a risk. Exciting risk? IMO yes, however, I feel like he would have been better suited to a midtable/play-off pushing Championship team, as opposed to the bookies favourites for promotion. Huge amount of pressure on him to get it right from the off. 

The more I read about him though, similar to Mckenna, the more I like. I am concerned he has no established coaching team around him, and so that will all need sorting over the summer too. I am also concerned we may not have the quality of players he needs to play a certain brand of football that he might push for. However, Kompany achieved this at Burnley, and so it is possible. Maybe I am just burned out from Rodgers-ball! 

A tiny bit of credit must go to Rudkin/Top, for thinking outside the box on this one, and not going for a Parker or Smith. It shows they have at least some imagination and forward thinking. It certainly isn't the "sensible" choice. 

In a weird way, although I concerned about all the unknowns he brings, that is also a reason to be excited. I just hope we get lucky and this is exactly the guy we need and it pays off! Enzoooooo 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

He's worked along side the best and hopefully picked up experience from Pep. Throughout his  career he's experience European football as a player. Where did NFP come from?  I'd rather take a chance on a fresh face than a serial perpetual average sacked every year loser.

11 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

it’s not just that he’s ‘ worked with pep’ though is it? It’s the style of play that we want, the pressing that got us so much success and it’s things like his reputation at Man City for nurturing the young lads which is definitely our thing. It’s also likely to be that Man City like loaning to the championship and we are likely going to get 2-3 loans in so we don’t have to spunk a load of cash on champ players and possibly save some money for our prem rebuild. I know I’ve already said this but the best 3-4 players in the championship last year were all Man City loanees  and if we can tap into all that, we’d we’d consider it a bonus. He’s first team coach at Man City. You don’t get that gig if you haven’t got a scoobie and we’ve already proven we like the whole football director role… going after a first team coach also indicates we know we burnt our own fingers in allowing a manager( Rodgers) so much influence.

• Like 2

A relegated team has the double whammy of losing all its best players who get offered a Premier League option and not being able to sign quality, up and coming, players for the same reason. I've thought for a while that we'll have to play the loan market really well. Even Lampard nearly succeeded at Derby with half a team of loanees. 

It actually sounds quite sensible to go for a bloke who has connections with the club who has the best squad in the Premier League. He needs to build a squad, at Leicester, that is capable of competing for an immediate return.

I'm thinking very short term. He might not be a good medium or long term appointment, but the best managers .... may well have a Premier League option after the first round of sackings. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Long Eaton Fox said:

He's worked along side the best and hopefully picked up experience from Pep. Throughout his  career he's experience European football as a player. Where did NFP come from?  I'd rather take a chance on a fresh face than a serial perpetual average sacked every year loser.

So long as people remember that when we are 13th in January!

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

He has worked for a number of clubs in Europe, also worked with Pellegrini at West Ham.

Yes it's risky hiring him but every appointment comes with some risk.

Every manager needs to start somewhere, hopefully we are the perfect match for him.

Screenshot_20230616-000112_Chrome.jpg

52 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

****s sake, I came up with the Copacabana chant days ago and it got flat out ignored. Wasted on you people. 

I think we're more Club Tropicana...

Players are free...

22 minutes ago, Alf Bentley said:

Not even through the door yet and he's already changing the players' dietary regime.....

Recetas de marisco para las mejores celebraciones caseras

Definately selling Harvey Barnes then. No way he'll give up his alphabetty spagetti on toast.

• Haha 2

41 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

It’s the equivalent of Alex Fergusons right hand man , admittedly that would mean McLaren but don’t look 👀 too deeply into that 

Or Brian Kidd
Or Carlos Queiros

Not just there though. Football is littered with assistant managers who didn't cut it in the hot seat. Steve Wigley, Sammy Lee, Alan Irvine, Chris Hutchings all had decent reps as coaches but got sacked in their first season. Rob Kelly & Shakespeare here were the same.

He'll have my backing but it smacks of Sousa to me.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, grth2004 said:

To be fair McLaren wasn’t all that bad, he got Boro to a UEFA cup final and won the league in Holland with Twente. In the jobs he had after working with Fergie - he did massively nose dive after that though.

Agreed with the concerns people are raising on this guy. I’m excited as I don’t know a thing about him, but why is he a better candidate than say a Gerrard? Is this all on the basis that he may have learned a thing or 2 from Pep? Let’s hope he has.

I am worried that if we are underperforming after a few months, he will be sacked off and we will all be scratching our heads as to where it’s gone wrong. Whilst Parker is a “boring/safe” appointment, he’s proven at this level.. Enzo could bomb and potentially fall through to League one.