Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Just now, StinckleyFox said:

In fairness though, he was sacked in November because they weren’t in the promotion places yet. If you take the championship as an example, Middlesbrough, Coventry and Sunderland were all in the bottom 10 in November and all 3 made it in to the play offs. If he was given time he may have turned it around, it’s not really fair to judge someone on 1/3 of a season.

Boro sacked their manager and appointed Carrick 

Alex Neil moved to Stoke after a fairly poor start at Sunderland.

So yeah Robins was given time, probably due to what he has achieved prior.

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

There's much to be excited about here.

1. He turned down Southampton according to reports. Possibly Celtic too. Not only does this show that he's not someone to jump at the first offer, but it shows that he sees something in us that he doesn't see at a club in a very similar position. Given Southampton won't exactly have Rotherham's budget, I doubt it's just money. 

2. A winning mentality and associated expectations. Not only did the first team smash everyone and everything in Europe, the PL2 team over which he had direct influence won its league. Yes he had world class facilities at his disposal, but so do we. Arguably only bettered by...Manchester City. Most of us fans hope and believe we'll be the big dog in the division, here we have a manager who will not only expect success, but has a record of delivering it. Huge difference to our mentality - especially to a club who've just had a huge kick in the balls.

3. Making use of Seagrave. None of the other candidates, with the possible exception of Potter, have experience of working at anything like the facilities we have and the associated tasks and challenges. In the right hands, Seagrave will be like a cheat code. In the wrong hands... well, we've already seen that. He's the only candidate who I think would look at Seagrave as an area to develop the club long-term rather than the fairly standard short-term goals of get up and stay up with limited thought to the 'project' that Seagrave, used properly, could help us develop as a club.

4. Contacts. The most obvious is Manchester City loanees, as their own facilities bear the fruit we hope that Seagrave will one day emulate. Their loanees smashed the Championship last season and it looks like Maresca is leaving Man City on good terms and will therefore be able to do business with them. But he'll also have run his eye over players from other teams in PL2 who can't yet get into their squads. He may even be able to secure loans with options to buy or perms with buy backs. 

5. Player development. Everyone who works with him speaks highly from what I can see, especially in terms of making players better. We won't sell ALL of our PL players; I do think players like Iversen, Souttar, Kristiansen, Thomas, KDH and at least one of Daka or Nacho will be here in August. He may even inspire them to do so if he can demonstrate how we can offer more for their development than jumping ship to Sheffield United or Bournemouth to get spanked in the PL before being in the same boat in twelve months. These are players with great potential who've been stymied and ruined by Rodgers. If one manager can ruin them, one manager can make them. Maresca's reputation at Man City tells us he could be that man.

We could, repeat could, have got ourselves our own Graham Potter type coach we've been looking for. If he plays the kind of football that Arsenal and Burnley have produced under former Pep prodigies, all the better. Building for the future is good given what we have here. Parker could have got us up (though I think he's due a failure, and his Fulham and Bournemouth sailed very close to the wind in both promotion campaigns,) but we know he can't manage in the Premier League for the next step when it comes in a year or two. Potter was a pipe dream. Gerrard didn't bear thinking about. McKenna was fascinating, but has never worked at a big club or with facilities anything like we have here. Smith would have represented continuation from our worst season in 15 years, even if most of it wasn't his fault.

On balance, I'm very content with Maresca. His spell at Parma hasn't put me off because they weren't great before him and haven't improved since. 

I admire your optimism and motivation but i cant help point out the bold quotes, I dont think he sees anything atm but a holiday camp thats been playing it easy for the last two seasons, no grit and true aim but a weak minded/aimless culture of a club thats been flapping about that has no commercial value to grow a foundation on. We are a wannabe big club thats pushed too close to the sun thinking we bigger than we actually are, and the amount of time wasted not growing the club since winning the league is a joke.

The new facility means nothing, like my point previous, small club thinking its big mentality, the 'world class' facility didnt help but relegate the club so really, not providing anything but weakness, but eh at least they have a 9hole golf course to enjoy themselves after losing to Stoke City next season. Seagrave will be a cheatcode?? more like a graveyard, LCFC cant afford to maintain it so they are offering to schools and clubs to help fund it, what a joke. I never felt more ashamed of this club and what they have done, and we all blame BR for all of it lol. open your eyes the ownership and all that sit under him have fallen asleep at the wheel. My optimism and motivation is currently at 2/10 k thanks

Edited by Simoken

4 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Wonder if cambiasso is actually gonna be brought into the coaching set up… him and Vardy didn’t get along did they?

I don't think he will be, nothing to do with Vardy though.

Edited by Vindaloo FOX
  • Sad 1

39 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's a risk, it's a move away from the managerial decisions the club have taken under Vichai and Top. I think this is the first appointment of a manager that has no experience in the league in which we are in. That was always a bug bear of mine but it served us OK in the past didn't it.

This feels very much like the club attempting to change things, so credit where credit is due in that regard let's hope it is a successful decision. They are long overdue some.

It is a punt, but he will need backing from Top in terms of player budget and time from the board and fans to implement his plans.

Key now is to try and get players in / out for preseason and build an identity.

Edited by JimmyC74

12 minutes ago, StinckleyFox said:

In fairness though, he was sacked in November because they weren’t in the promotion places yet. If you take the championship as an example, Middlesbrough, Coventry and Sunderland were all in the bottom 10 in November and all 3 made it in to the play offs. If he was given time he may have turned it around, it’s not really fair to judge someone on 1/3 of a season.

I think this is a very relevant point. 

It's a big ask for someone to come in, change the majority of the squad, the style of play, the formation and the culture and hit the ground running. Generally these things take time to implement and 14 games, I don't feel is enough but that's not to say that they wouldn't have turned a corner and hit their stride. When sacked, he was only 4 points from playoff spots with most of the season still to play. 

The relevant part of this is that it's a similair situation that we are in and I hope we don't impose a similair time frame expectation that Parma did. It's a big job ahead of him and to change what needs changed, he should be afforded the time to do it. From the board AND the fans. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

This is quite significant for me.

We built this world class facility and then staffed it with, who exactly? It needs staff to meet it's calibre. To be fair, I don't just mean coaches, I mean everything from analysts to sports scientists and medical staff, but if he can be a part of driving that change then great.

Agree. Basically we're a massive club at this level and we should act accordingly. We didn't build all these great facilities to be on a level playing field with Ipswich and Sheffield Wednesdays.

Even I have done full circle with this gamble it’s not a gamble at all it’s a very shrewd appointment he wouldn’t be on the Celtic shortlist if he was shilo, he’s a very good coach and even Haaland has testified that.

We are winning the league at a canter.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Scotch said:

I think this is a very relevant point. 

It's a big ask for someone to come in, change the majority of the squad, the style of play, the formation and the culture and hit the ground running. Generally these things take time to implement and 14 games, I don't feel is enough but that's not to say that they wouldn't have turned a corner and hit their stride. When sacked, he was only 4 points from playoff spots with most of the season still to play. 

The relevant part of this is that it's a similair situation that we are in and I hope we don't impose a similair time frame expectation that Parma did. It's a big job ahead of him and to change what needs changed, he should be afforded the time to do it. From the board AND the fans. 

Yet it is imperative to get promoted as quick as possible, due to the dwindling parachute payments year on year, and the financial constraints that brings with it.

Edited by HankMarvin

8 minutes ago, Simoken said:

I admire your optimism and motivation but i cant help point out the bold quotes, I dont think he sees anything atm but a holiday camp thats been playing it easy for the last two seasons, no grit and true aim but a weak minded/aimless culture of a club thats been flapping about that has no commercial value to grow a foundation on.

I hope he does see it like that, because while I hate to admit it, there's a strong element of truth to all of that. 

But that's a mentality issue, and part of what is meant by needing someone who knows how to properly using Seagrave. 

There is no problem with a club mentality that you should be higher than they are, that's a way to breed confidence, but at the moment the sense is more like Seagrave is a holiday camp and that needs to change. 

This is an element that I hope Maresca can recognise and deal with asap.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Even I have done full circle with this gamble it’s not a gamble at all it’s a very shrewd appointment he wouldn’t be on the Celtic shortlist if he was shilo, he’s a very good coach and even Haaland has testified that.

We are winning the league at a canter.

It's quotes like that , that will make us look like dick wipes in August next year, We're in for a battle and make no mistake. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

Wonder if cambiasso is actually gonna be brought into the coaching set up

Probably not, but I kind of hope he is!

14 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

him and Vardy didn’t get along did they?

Apparently not, but Vardy's opinion of elderly players who have had glittering careers and have a lot to teach the young whippersnappers might have changed now he is one...

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HankMarvin said:

Yet it is imperative to get promoted as quick as possible, due to the dwindling parachute payments year on year, and the financial constraints that brings with it.

I 100% agree but no-one is promoted after 14 games. Sure, you can be out of the promotion race after 14 games but as long as you're still somewhere in the running, I think the benefit of the doubt should be given whilst asking so much and let's get it right, we WILL be asking a lot. Overhaul the squad, change the style of play, implement a whole new culture to the squad with their own identity AND get promoted. 

The pay off to achieving that though, won't just be promotion but also giving ourselves the best chance of staying up once we are there.