Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not saying it would be a good appointment, but if Gerrard is to be a half decent manager then I could well see his career being rebuilt on taking a club from the Championship and getting them competing in the top half of the Prem quite quickly.

Just so you know, I now read your posts in your voice from the BSLB podcast :ph34r:

• Haha 2

I really think it's going to come down to the appetite of the owners.

If they sell it as they are willing to invest in a rebuild, we are building a new stadium and you get your pick of staff then I would say we are a hugely attractive proposition even in the championship.

Problem is we won't be doing that. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not saying it would be a good appointment, but if Gerrard is to be a half decent manager then I could well see his career being rebuilt on taking a club from the Championship and getting them competing in the top half of the Prem quite quickly.

That's a big 'if', though. Would you want to take that risk? 

Villa fans seem to think they went backwards under Gerrard and that Smith was a much better manager for them. Why would we take Gerrard if Smith was available? I'm not saying I personally want Smith, but I'd take him in a heartbeat if the choice was between him and Gerrard.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Villa fans seem to think they went backwards under Gerrard and that Smith was a much better manager for them. Why would we take Gerrard if Smith was available? I'm not saying I personally want Smith, but I'd take him in a heartbeat if the choice was between him and Gerrard.

No, I wouldn't want to take that risk but there's plenty of managers I'd say that about that have gone on to do well. I certainly don't trust our owners to have a plan.

33 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Same goes for Lampard. Both ideally (especially Lampard) need a project to build and stay loyal to, and not jump ship at the first call from a PL side. 

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Same goes for Lampard. Both ideally (especially Lampard) need a project to build and stay loyal to, and not jump ship at the first call from a PL side. 

Gerrard and Lampard are both examples of managers who were fast-tracked to high-profile jobs because of their fame as players rather than because they'd earned it. If they'd been mediocre players who hadn't played for England, they'd have had to work they way up from the lower leagues. It might have been better for them both to have gone down that route, too.

Gerrard might get a Championship gig. I suspect Lampard might have to drop lower than that if he really wants to continue being a manager.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

No, I wouldn't want to take that risk but there's plenty of managers I'd say that about that have gone on to do well. I certainly don't trust our owners to have a plan.

if we don’t make Smith permanent / have a plan to appoint a manager relatively quickly do we fall back on Rudders, Stowell and Sadler to plan pre-season? Shudder at the thought.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

19 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Gerrard and Lampard are both examples of managers who were fast-tracked to high-profile jobs because of their fame as players rather than because they'd earned it. If they'd been mediocre players who hadn't played for England, they'd have had to work they way up from the lower leagues. It might have been better for them both to have gone down that route, too.

Gerrard might get a Championship gig. I suspect Lampard might have to drop lower than that if he really wants to continue being a manager.

You say this like it's news, uncommon or exclusive to this country. Kompany walked straight in to one of the biggest clubs in Belgium off the back of nothing. Yes their reputation works in their favour for higher profile roles, but it feels to me like you're using that against them and judging their more harshly for it. Of course you're not gonna see players or the ilk of Gerrard, Pep, Zidane starting out at Yeovil and the Spanish/French equivalents. 

Not a chance Lampard's next job comes in League One or below unless you get a big big club go down that far. Both could probably blag their way into another PL job, not that Lampard particularly deserves it. 

• Haha 1

Gerrard looked really promising at Rangers, especially how much he was able to motivate his players for big European games. His tactical knowledge wasn't their at all at Villa though. By far the better coach than Lampard though. Actually think SG ends up making a decent international manager in the future.

• Like 1

Wouldn't say no to Pearson if we do go down and if he'd be genuinely interested in returning.

But am not sure if Top would potentially invite this idea, especially considering that his Father sacked him.

Am I the only one who thinks that Scott Parker looks like a right tw*t wearing those hideous Thom Browne tops?!? Everytime I see him on the touchline wearing one I think it's as if he wears them because it makes him look like he's got a Captain's armband on and it's a symbolism of his authority over the players. All feels a bit desperate, like those middle aged blokes who insist on wearing full lycra for their Sunday morning bike rides despite age having got the better of them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

The question with Gerrard is was Aston Villa the aberration or Rangers? He'd got a decent rep coaching the Liverpool u23s, landed on his feet at Rangers then it all went badly wrong at Villa, especially the call to strip Mings of the captaincy. All managers have that one club where it doesn't work out for them. Look at Emery at Arsenal. Moyes at United. Nathan Jones anywhere but Luton 😁. He could come here and be very successful but if it went wrong he'd never get another invite from a top division club.

But whether it's him, Lampard, Mark Hughes, Solskjaer, by Paul Ince etc etc there's a long list of big name players who just can't cut it in the big chair.

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

Putting all their eggs in 1 basket ala Potter :thumbup:

The thing is the reports coming out are yes, Potter is the target. No clarity if that is PL only or either league. But alongside those reports there seems no indication of what Potter thinks. He is currently unemployed. And you do wonder if contact has been made to ascertain if he is interested and if he would still be interested in the champ. 

And it worries me. Because I don’t think they have. Which is madness. Ok it’s on par for the stupidity of Top and Rudkin but for anyone else it’s madness. 

5 minutes ago, Brizzle Fox said:

Lampard should probably be looking for a new career entirely tbqh

Needs to go spend a couple of years as a coach / assistant somewhere like Arteta

No clue how a club would dare take a punt on him now

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Mickyblueeyes said:

The thing is the reports coming out are yes, Potter is the target. No clarity if that is PL only or either league. But alongside those reports there seems no indication of what Potter thinks. He is currently unemployed. And you do wonder if contact has been made to ascertain if he is interested and if he would still be interested in the champ. 

And it worries me. Because I don’t think they have. Which is madness. Ok it’s on par for the stupidity of Top and Rudkin but for anyone else it’s madness. 

You’re guessing, you/we have no idea of what has been discussed. They’ve clearly come to the conclusion there was a very good chance of getting relegated hence BR being sacked, as Dmith has failed to spectacularly turn things around I’d doubt they are assuming we will be in the PL next season and basing their plans on that.