Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Just now, foxfanazer said:

The blokes not even signed for us yet but the media are already trying to move him on to a bigger club lol

People are bad enough on here with that sort of stuff.

5 minutes ago, HowardsBulletHeader said:

I really like it, I like the fact they haven't played safe. Yes it's an unknown and it's potentially dangerous but the club needs a new philosophy and a new way of thinking that I'm convinced wouldn't be brought in by bringing in Smith or Parker. Regardless of their experience at getting the job done in the Championship, they are sitting ducks come the time we get to the Premier League and inevitably get found out under their methods. You could say, that's what we brought them in for, but it's a short term philosophy.

I feel with Maresca, the club are aiming long term (same way Burnley did with Kompany, Boro with Carrick), it feels like there could be a chance it goes really well, we get promoted at the first time of asking AND he could stay long term as our manager, cutting the mustard in the Premier League. Of course there's the chance it fails spectacularly but it could fail under anyone because we need such an overhaul. It is a mammoth task, but by the same token an incredible opportunity for someone to stamp their mark throughout the club from top to bottom. 

Out of everyone linked (forget Hutter and Potter etc, never realistic), it feels like they've gone for the right man. I hope I'm not proved wrong and our football club can return at the first attempt, but come what may, we get behind Maresca and the lads as we always do.

Yes I agree. Going for the likes of Parker and Smith seems a bit mid table / stale finish. Someone like this IF it works out could get us promoted, with the right investment. 

No idea how this will go but good to be excited. He could make us very fashionable in style and players coming in. 

The Parma performance obviously sits in the background and is worrying but if he did do his learning there to hit the ground running here, good for us. 

Please be good Enzo. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Simoken said:

Loving all this news of excitement, but in a few months on a 2 game losing streak people will turn on the poor man :brendan_still:

Think we can cope with a 2 game losing streak, it was a 2 year losing streak that was the problem.

• Haha 3

A year with Pep will make you grow as a coach, he would have learnt a bloody lot and we have the right set up here and hopefully the players take it on board and we can make the step up.

I definitely feel like the players will be more than up for being managed under Maresca than Scott Parker / Dean Smith.

I'm just thrilled it isn't an obvious boring name. Someone with good coaching pedigree who's obviously keen on the job and has put the background work in to impress during interview with clear plans. 

It may work, it may not, that's football - but I'm glad we've shown an understanding that a change of thinking is needed at the club and the ambition to do it.

• Like 2

Roulette from the board, but I like it - an appointment with unlimited upside and limited downside, if he loses 10 from 14 like he did at Parma we sack and get Parker anyway! 

my feeling is he will sweep a much needed broom through Seagrave and results will

dramatically improve 

What treble can we win???

Unproven but well schooled, at least he'll have all our backing for a while, I'm sure we all hope its goes well.

This is the sort of decision you really want to work, its a long road back, we have juts gone back 3-4 years, lets hope he's still here at the end of that period and then we'll know it was a successful choice.

16 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

It's 1/3 of the book and without having the actual stats on all the managers during that period, it will be way more managers of the total that had Championship experience already.

Anyway, this is a risk, I'm not even sure I'd have gone with this choice from the off. I respect the bravery of the decision though and I think this is very surprising.

Agree with your second paragraph. And it reflects well on Top & Rudkin: shows planning, vision & boldness. None of those traits were evident from either of them during the last 18 months.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

Can you really judge some one over 14 games? He won 4 drew 5 lost 5. 

People were judging others over 4 premier league games, so yeah.

If you want to ignore that, then he's got ZERO experience. I'm just not getting excited about a manager with no experience, it's a massive risk. I'm not against risk, it could turn out to be a master stroke and the club will rightly be applauded for it. I just find the reactions to it off, same as I do people getting excited about some foreign player they've never seen play.

Too old to fall into that trap now, it will be the same people laying into Rudkin and Top heavily if it goes tits up that are applauding it now. 

Interested to see how it goes. 

11 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

A year with Pep will make you grow as a coach, he would have learnt a bloody lot and we have the right set up here and hopefully the players take it on board and we can make the step up.

I definitely feel like the players will be more than up for being managed under Maresca than Scott Parker / Dean Smith.

Only a year with Pep? I was hoping he was with Pep for the past Four years 😂 

11 hours ago, winteriscoming said:

What experience has he had in various roles other than at Man City? Apart from failing at Parma I don’t see what else he’s done. He’s an assistant who we’re taking a risk on. If he was British we’d be saying what the fvck are we doing. But because he’s worked with Pep apparently  we can’t fail. 

He worked with Pellegrini at West Ham, and has been an assistant at Seville and Ascoli.  Just because someone isn't experienced, doesn't mean they are bad - i don't know who he worked under at his first jobs but Pellegrini and Pep are pretty decent mentors - an alternative like Parker has more match day experience, but his only period of mentorship was a few games under ranieri at fulham - which is probably why he appears to have such a low ceiling...

I don't think anyone is saying 'it can't fail' - but just sense the mood already, suddenly the misery of last year is starting to slip away.

11 minutes ago, Simoken said:

His previous stint as a manager with Parma was a disaster, some people are better at being a coach than a manager. :ph34r:

He has a massive point to prove then. That’s a positive if anything ….. hopefully 🙏