Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, ParkerPen said:

whilst I agree with your point, Howe is being modest here I reckon

The journalist suggested 10% I think and he was offended by that figure of a coaches affect on performance. Logically it has to be less than 50% otherwise the underdog would win more than the favourites do, so I think he's about right. Our performance has deteriorated 50% from 8th to 18th, while Newcastle have improved 35% from 11th to 4th.

4 hours ago, Ric Flair said:

@Babylon @weller54

I found this stat quite interesting. I know both of you are baffled by the risky nature of this appointment, but let's hope Rudkin and Top have finally made a decent decision between them.

I'm not against this appointment, but it makes me laugh how people pick random dates just to back up their opinion. Why the last 6 seasons only? Because it suits his argument.

The last 6 seasons takes us back to 17/18. Jump back just two more season, 15/16 and 16/17, and out of the 6 that came up during this period (Burnley, Middlesbrough, Hull, Newcastle, Brighton, Huddersfield) 3 of them had managers that had done it before (and that's not even including ex top flight winand CL winner Rafa at Newcastle).

Honestly, I don't think it matters if he's never won promotion from the division before. Lots of managers have done but never managed to do it again, you only have to look at Roy Keane, Brian McDermott, Aidy Boothroyd and even Nigel Pearson.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Why are we so slow at doing everything? It’s painful. 

The legal boys have to make sure all the paperwork is in order. It takes time !

Plus I'm sure they actually enjoy stretching it out just to irritate the masses.

• Sad 1

7 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

I think the bloke has had a little bit on in the last 7 days! 

We can be all ready but if Enzo wasn't what are we suppose to do. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

My fear is that Maresca will be another Paulo Sousa where we simply weren’t capable of playing his style. I’m guessing it’s second grade Guardiola? and we will end up bombing out 

I think the players we will be left with and get, will be of a higher quality anyway. We need a rebuild so the team will be moulded to his style 

Edited by foxes_rule1978

3 hours ago, Lillehamring said:

The difference is that was not a risk they chose to take, that was simply the situation they were in.

Disagree. The situation was of their own doing. They knew the fair play rules and knew they had let players' contracts run down. They were not victims of circumstance just rank bad management. 

• Like 1

My fear is that Maresca will be another Paulo Sousa where we simply weren’t capable of playing his style. I’m guessing it’s second grade Guardiola? and we will end up bombing out 

Your optimism is inspiring 🙄

• Haha 1

That squad was totally unsuited to playing that way and Sousa wasn’t pragmatic about it at all.

We have a bit of blank slate wrt our squad as well so we can recruit with Maresca’s needs in mind. Even allowing for the obvious departures we’ll still have the basis for a squad much better than the rest of the division.

Relative to the other teams we should be the Man City of the division.

1 minute ago, Stadt said:

That squad was totally unsuited to playing that way and Sousa wasn’t pragmatic about it at all.

We have a bit of blank slate wrt our squad as well so we can recruit with Maresca’s needs in mind. Even allowing for the obvious departures we’ll still have the basis for a squad much better than the rest of the division.

Relative to the other teams we should be the Man City of the division.

Exactly this, rather than having to work with an existing squad, he can recruit the players that fit what he want's to achieve. It's a perfect receipe for a new manager, complete blank slate, decent budget, world class training facilities.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

There will be quite a few new players coming in & I'm sure the will be chosen based on fitting into a certain playing style.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, gurru991 said:

There will be quite a few new players coming in & I'm sure the will be chosen based on fitting into a certain playing style.

This.

You've got to think Enzo is coming in knowing he needs to bring in 10+ players and will have what we get from inevitable Maddison and Barnes sales to spend. 

As much as its a pain, it brings about a great opportunity for a manager to bring his type of player in rather than being told 'this is our squad, work with it or go somewhere else'

Edited by Nalis

7 minutes ago, oxtonfox said:

The key word there is guessing.  We are all guessing.  Success isn’t guaranteed and nor is failure.

But given that we’re guessing, why not be positive rather than assume the worst?  You may turn out to be right but why worry about something that hasn’t happened and may never happen?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, MPH said:

I understand what you’re saying, but I guess I mean that the risk/gamble last year would have been to get rid of Rodgers sooner or spend big in January…. We spent far too safely…

I agree but the real gamble was letting the player's contract run down all the same time and not getting players in to replace them at the start of the season. They gambled on having enough of the old guard to see them through the season and then re-group for this season. Keeping faith with Rodgers was the ultimate gamble and it just did not pay off. 

Lots of talk at the time about how much it was going to cost to get rid of Rodgers but now weigh that against lost revenue from not being in the prem and it seems a suicidal gamble.

It was all so easily avoidable if they had listened to the players and even us the fans who could have told them where this season was heading. But no they chose to listen to Rodgers who threw players under the bus and even told anyone who would listen that however the season would pan out it would not be his fault but the boards for not buying anyone in the close season. They gambled and lost heavily and it's why we are in this avoidable mess in the first place.

Having said all that I'd be very happy Enzo coming in at least he can start with a clean slate and build a team he wants and not have to put up with old players who think they run the club.

Edited by PAPA LAZAROU

Happy and excited about the appointment to be honest, its a risk yes but isn't any appointment!

Hoping he can install a winning mentally, never say die attitude and hungry players that play for the badge.

Good luck Enzo, ill be there supporting you and the boys!

• Like 4

After everything over the last two years being so predictable I'm all for this appointment to be honest. My enthusiasm for the game is at an all time low so maybe it feels like less of a gamble for me. Just want to be proud of my club again

A Gerrard like appointment would've finished me off I reckon

Edited by foxfanazer
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, LFEFox23 said:

Happy and excited about the appointment to be honest, its a risk yes but isn't any appointment!

Hoping he can install a winning mentally, never say die attitude and hungry players that play for the badge.

Good luck Enzo, ill be there supporting you and the boys!

It's a risk but with a real sense of intruige and excitement about what might be possible if it goes right

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Wasyls Pec Deck said:

Given there's been next to no communication since our relegation, they are probably going to make a deluxe version of the introduction video with him. The club have been very disrespectful to the fans over the last 12 months... I am probably being way too optimistic, but a good piece of comms could start to unravel the damage caused.

• Like 1