Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

Be interesting to see if Cooper remains as Forest boss wouldn't put it across them if they sack him next week. Despite keeping them in the division. Would be great for us.

No chance he gets sacked, is the view from up this end. He's a hero. Owners would come in for some proper flack.

14 hours ago, Sambiasso said:

Putting all their eggs in 1 basket ala Potter :thumbup:

Just seems quite blinkered to me given I highly doubt he'd drop here in the Championship, unless we made him a fantastic offer.

I actually can't speak too much for how well I think he'd do at a rebuild because has he ever really had to do it? My gut tells me he'd have things in some decent order, particularly given he was at Brighton but Brighton are a well-oiled machine from the very top.

Just now, Countesthorpe Fox 1884 12 said:

indeed.

I dont think Potter would drop down.

As I said not an expert on the continent, could be someone out there whos perfect!

...Potter said no to taking us on now and he probably have said no to any other club after he was released at Chelsea!!!

I suspect he was not closing the book on coming here, irrespective of which league we were in. Despite the Rodgers fiasco, he probably saw a club akin to Brighton and he would feel comfortable here.

With all the names being thrown about, I would definitely be looking at the continent to bring someone in.

This club needs a shot in the arm, and we are not going to get that with the previous Premier experience nonsense. 

29 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

Just seems quite blinkered to me given I highly doubt he'd drop here in the Championship, unless we made him a fantastic offer.

I actually can't speak too much for how well I think he'd do at a rebuild because has he ever really had to do it? My gut tells me he'd have things in some decent order, particularly given he was at Brighton but Brighton are a well-oiled machine from the very top.

Swansea?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I mean, he rebuilt Ostersunds, Swansea and Brighton. 

I think his whole career is based on him being a ‘builder’ type manager rather than results getter, which is why it doesn’t make sense that Chelsea sacked him so soon. They must have been ill-advised about what sort of manager that they were getting if they expected results straight away. 

47 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Swansea?

25 minutes ago, Pete52 said:

I mean, he rebuilt Ostersunds, Swansea and Brighton. 

I think his whole career is based on him being a ‘builder’ type manager rather than results getter, which is why it doesn’t make sense that Chelsea sacked him so soon. They must have been ill-advised about what sort of manager that they were getting if they expected results straight away. 

I know little about what he really did at Swansea, he was there a year and they finished 10th, I don't really know many of the details of it.

Brighton's a tough one to assess because their recruitment really isn't much on the manager at all. But then there is no doubt at all he left them in a good state and that's encouraging even if it is hard to know who it was really down to.

Edited by Dan LCFC

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I know little about what he really did at Swansea, he was there a year and they finished 8th, I don't really know many of the details of it.

Brighton's a tough one to assess because their recruitment really isn't much on the manager at all. But then there is no doubt at all he left them in a good state and that's encouraging even if it is hard to know who it was really down to.

To be fair he was a big part of Brighton's rebuilding process. He completely transformed them stylistically from how they were under Chris Hughton. Under Hughton they were in the top half for highest net spends in the division in the two seasons they were there and they were playing a brand of football that wasn't particularly desirable. 

He won't come to us if we are in the championship, but I can see him being appointed as soon as next week if we miraculously survive. He's clearly the man that they want and I think he'll come if we are still in the premier league. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

To be fair he was a big part of Brighton's rebuilding process. He completely transformed them stylistically from how they were under Chris Hughton. Under Hughton they were in the top half for highest net spends in the division in the two seasons they were there and they were playing a brand of football that wasn't particularly desirable. 

He won't come to us if we are in the championship, but I can see him being appointed as soon as next week if we miraculously survive. He's clearly the man that they want and I think he'll come if we are still in the premier league. 

I'm not even particularly anti-Potter. I'm more in the camp that I was a fan of his but now I've more cooled because I think certain trends do seem to follow him. Brighton were never particularly potent under him but they are now. Chelsea couldn't score either.

He would actually get us fairly well organised defensively I think, that's the underrated part of him.

We need a manager in I think within a week of now regardless of division. I bet we don't though.

• Like 1

If we are somehow still in the premier league next season and we appoint Potter I would be content with the appointment. In that scenario the objective next season will be to stay up but obviously more comfortably. If he could do that and make us a half decent watch again then I will be happy. This is obviously all hypothetical. 

1 minute ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm not even particularly anti-Potter. I'm more in the camp that I was a fan of his but now I've more cooled because I think certain trends do seem to follow him. Brighton were never particularly potent under him but they are now. Chelsea couldn't score either.

He would actually get us fairly well organised defensively I think, that's the underrated part of him.

We need a manager in I think within a week of now regardless of division. I bet we don't though.

Yeah, I wouldn't class myself as a huge fan of his either to be honest. I feel like he is somewhat overrated but I would be content with his appointment if it was to happen. 

I'm under no illusions, I've been spooked by the last year especially, if he could do here what he did at Brighton I'd be content. I think that's a far better outcome than what will actually pan out.

Whatever happens I don't want Dean Smith to be our manager next season. Decent guy and I've got nothing against him, but we need a clean break. His seven games here and how it went at Norwich have convinced me that he isn't the man to take us forward. 

Our fans would get annoyed with Potter quickly. Tons of possession and XG without scoring. Di Zerbi has said that Potter said the players up amazingly for when he took over, but it's notable how much more potent up front they became after he took over.

I'll back whoever is in charge and get behind them, but I think Potter will just end up being Rodgers 2.0.

I expect us to be in the Championship so it will be largely irrelevant anyway. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Dan LCFC said:

I'm under no illusions, I've been spooked by the last year especially, if he could do here what he did at Brighton I'd be content. I think that's a far better outcome than what will actually pan out.

I can fully see us going down, sticking with Smith and becoming a mid-table championship side who have a shot at the play-offs. A depressing outcome (although it could get worse!) given where we've been in the past few years. 

1 minute ago, StriderHiryu said:

Our fans would get annoyed with Potter quickly. Tons of possession and XG without scoring. Di Zerbi has said that Potter said the players up amazingly for when he took over, but it's notable how much more potent up front they became after he took over.

I'll back whoever is in charge and get behind them, but I think Potter will just end up being Rodgers 2.0.

I expect us to be in the Championship so it will be largely irrelevant anyway. 

In a way yes, but he doesn't seem to bring the PR machine with him like Rodgers which was a big thing for a lot of us.

• Like 1