Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Honestly I'm now less bothered about the manager and more interested in who we keep/ get player wise.

If (and it's a big if) we keep our defence who are on contracts, Mendy, Daka and Kelechi, then bolster it with 2 wingers and a CM who doesn't crumble at the slightest touch, then we should be looking to come back up.

The core of the team isn't radically changed, they know each other and they should have no reason not to come up. 

All the manager would need to do is keep them organised, motivated and say "you're going back up, no excuses"

In this scenario I see Barnes, Ndidi and Soumare going. Those are gaps to fill but the CM is less important than the wingers, for me. 

Edited by fox_up_north

12 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

In a way yes, but he doesn't seem to bring the PR machine with him like Rodgers which was a big thing for a lot of us.

That I definitely agree with, but I also think his lack of aggressiveness holds him back, same as Rodgers. Brighton fans seem to love RDZ, whereas they liked / respected Potter. RDZ already had to serve a touchline ban for telling the referees they were shit, whereas I just can't see Potter ever losing it.

Probably the biggest reason we are in such a state is that we've created a "nice" culture at the club. Great facilities, great wages, looked after. Don't worry, everything will be alright... until it's not. That's exactly what happened at Chelsea, and though that's not entirely on Potter, I don't see something like that happening with a more aggressive and tough talking manager. 

If we go down, Pearson is the person we should bring back. Literally built the winning club culture, and will kick these players up the arse, which they need. There would be reservations about if he could get us playing modern football, but if our current lot had the attitude the 13/14 team did, then even if we sell half our players we would smash the Championship. We won't go that way so I don't know who we will get, but we need someone who isn't just a coach, but a manager. Potter is clearly a top COACH. He can coach players and getting them playing good football. But can he man-manage? Is he the type to storm into Rudkin / Top's office and tell them to stop dicking around and buy / sell players otherwise he walks? Will he strangle an opposition player on the sidelines or call someone an Ostrich lol!? I rest my case.

• Like 3

Just now, BenTheFox said:

Hassenhuttl would be my choice if we went down. I thnk he would inject some real energy into the side and would give him a great chance to come back stronger like Marco Silva has done at Fulham. 

I don't think that's a bad shout at all. He is stubborn and only has a Plan A, but I don't think that's such an issue in the Championship. 

13 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Hassenhuttl would be my choice if we went down. I thnk he would inject some real energy into the side and would give him a great chance to come back stronger like Marco Silva has done at Fulham. 

Marco Silva has a far better record than Hassenhuttl. 

3 hours ago, murphy said:

I am having trouble coming to terms with how far our stock has fallen and adjusting expectations accordingly.

We all seem to be clinging to the hope of attracting a manager none of us wanted 5 minutes ago and was seen as Brendan lite.

Its sh*t being sh*t.

Potter is more of a steady version of Rodgers. Rodgers does well for a year or two but is terrible at building a team and with transfers so it unravels. His teams always finish the season terribly as well.

Potter plays a similar style and builds a team gradually, like he did at Brighton. His main weakness seems to be that his teams lack goals, which is obviously a huge flaw given the objective of football, but his teams XG is always high.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Lost 9-0 at home to a Brendan Rodgers team.

45 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Well we've bought half the defence we trounced 9 nil, we may as well go the whole hog and stick another nail in the coffin 🤣

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan LCFC said:

I know little about what he really did at Swansea, he was there a year and they finished 10th, I don't really know many of the details of it.

Brighton's a tough one to assess because their recruitment really isn't much on the manager at all. But then there is no doubt at all he left them in a good state and that's encouraging even if it is hard to know who it was really down to.

Year they went down he came in I believe, a lot of players in and out as well, so did reasonably well.

44 minutes ago, Lionator said:

Marco Silva has a far better record than Hassenhuttl. 

I'll challenge that. 

Marco Silva, despite a revival still got relegated with Hull. I don't think he should get much blame for this but it still happened. 

Silva also had an Everton team that was better than anything Hasenhuttl had at Southampton around the relegation places at Christmas, resulting in him getting sacked. 

Hasenhuttl took over a relegation threatened club in Ingolstadt in the second division in Germany and took them to 10th place and got them promoted the following season. He also got them to finish 11th in the Bundesliga before leaving the club at the end of the season. Bare in mind that Ingolstadt are a tiny club in Germany and he took them to the highest position in their history from being in the bottom two in the second division. 

He was appointed the manager of RB Leipzig. He got them to finish in the first ever season in the top flight and had them top going into the winter break! 

At Southampton he saved them from almost certain relegation under Mark Hughes and kept them up for four seasons with limited resources and got them to finish 11th in one of those seasons. 

Granted, I deliberately excluded Marco Silva's achievements in management but I feel like Hasenhuttl is unfairly judged for losing 9-0 to us when we were on fire. The 9-0 is also a ridiculous thing to judge a manager for us potentially in the championship. I'm not ruling it out, but I highly doubt that anyone will beat us 9-0 in the championship. 

I personally think he could be exactly what we need should we be relegated. 

Edited by BenTheFox
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I'll challenge that. 

Marco Silva, despite a revival still got relegated with Hull. I don't think he should get much blame for this but it still happened. 

Silva also had an Everton team that was better than anything Hasenhuttl had at Southampton around the relegation places at Christmas, resulting in him getting sacked. 

Hasenhuttl took over a relegation threatened club in Ingolstadt in the second division in Germany and took them to 10th place and got them promoted the following season. He also got them to finish 11th in the Bundesliga before leaving the club at the end of the season. Bare in mind that Ingolstadt are a tiny club in Germany and he took them to the highest position in their history from being in the bottom two in the second division. 

He was appointed the manager of RB Leipzig. He got them to finish in the first ever season in the top flight and had them top going into the winter break! 

At Southampton he saved them from almost certain relegation under Mark Hughes and kept them up for four seasons with limited resources and got them to finish 11th in one of those seasons. 

Granted, I deliberately excluded Marco Silva's achievements in management but I feel like Hasenhuttl is unfairly judged for losing 9-0 to us when we were on fire. The 9-0 is also a ridiculous thing to judge a manager for us potentially in the championship. I'm not ruling it out, but I highly doubt that anyone will beat us 9-0 in the championship. 

I personally think he could be exactly what we need should we be relegated. 

This is what Hassenhutl has said about his preferred playing style: "Pressing. Hunting. Be hungry. When you have the ball, find a quick decision, quick transition to the front. It's about being emotional, being full of passion. Also, keep the tempo on a high level and don't slow down the game. That's what I think the people want to see."

He'd better not say that if he gets an interview with us. He'll be straight out of the door.

• Haha 1

Potter will have his choice of medium-sized premier league clubs if not in the summer then in October/November when sacking season is in full swing. I do think that even in the championship we could be a good opportunity to build something, but Potter will not put his reputation on the line to come to the championship when his stock is still high enough to land a premier league job. If we miraculously stay up then it's a different story. 

Potter would be nice but not realistic in financial and reality terms. :please:

Do admire the job Robins has done at Cov, but they could be promoted and he has recently signed a new deal.:nono:

McKenna from Ipswich ?

1 hour ago, gazzaa2 said:

Lost 9-0 at home to a Brendan Rodgers team.

A really good Brendan Rodgers team though. Easy to forget how very good we were - for a little while, until it all collapsed in on itself in a little soggy pile of failure.

31 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Potter will have his choice of medium-sized premier league clubs if not in the summer then in October/November when sacking season is in full swing. I do think that even in the championship we could be a good opportunity to build something, but Potter will not put his reputation on the line to come to the championship when his stock is still high enough to land a premier league job. If we miraculously stay up then it's a different story. 

If Potter is the great builder everyone says he is, then surely he would sooner be joining a club in the summer so he can work with recruitment, preseason training and the whole 'building' process. Joining a Top half team who are in turmoil and just sacked off their manager is what got him into trouble with Chelsea. I would think if he is going to take something it would be pretty soon. A great builder shouldn't mind a year in the championship as long as their was good alignment with the board and the finances are there. Don't see him going for us though, and im not massively fussed.

• Like 1

So I was told at work today that  Darren Bent thinks he has it on good authority that Potter will be the new boss 

I really hope he is right, when they smashed us down there place, I was so impressed with them 

There press and energy levels was outstanding 

• Like 1

On 25/05/2023 at 15:27, ClaphamFox said:

Rodgers had done well with Swansea and Liverpool before Celtic, so he had more of a track record to go on. I don't have a strong view on Postecoglou - he's a very experienced manager but has never managed in one of the top leagues. Winning the title in Japan was a solid achievement, but I do wonder why he's never managed at the highest level at the age of 57. 

But you seem to be suggesting that Gerrard's 11-month failed spell at Villa would be enough for us to consider him. I just don't agree. It isn't just the fact that he got sacked, it's the way Villa played under him. He showed no sign of being able to organise them into an effective team with a clear identity. He is not remembered fondly at all among Villa fans. So the only evidence we have of him managing at a decent level is deeply discouraging.

It feels a bit unfair to question Postecoglou on the basis of not having managed a top club. He never played outside of Australia and every appointment since his first appears to be upwards. I think that's just how long it takes to make it if you weren't an excellent player.