Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

3 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If Potter was willing to manage in the championship he would surely have took it originally and at least see if he could keep us up. 

Not necessarily. He was clearly shellshocked by his experience with Chelsea. He looked a broken man. Maybe he genuinely needed a break? 

• Like 2

The choice of manager if/when we go down will give an indication of how bad things might be financially. If we end up with say Potter or Rafa I’d feel more confident we are not heading for financial meltdown and actually are determined to rectify what has happened this season. 

28 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

If Potter was willing to manage in the championship he would surely have took it originally and at least see if he could keep us up. 

No probably better he’s on the outside of this collapse and can come in with lots of players gone + can shape the team how he wants. It’ll either go tits up or work wonderfully

• Like 2

I think Potter would consider us so long as the fire within the club can be contained. He's not likely to get a decent Premier league club so his only options would be Palace down and none of them have much money or any real ambition to be anything better than avoiding relegation. With our training ground and if we could get someone like Potter to steady us and rebuild us, we could be back where we were fighting in the top half of the prem in 2 years. We also need to ensure the scouting and medical department is sorted as these areas seem to have been really poor recently in terms of recruitment and injuries respectively.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, RowlattsFox said:

Imagine how much it would have tarnished his repuatation after the Chelsea debable had he taken us down though

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Imagine how much it would have tarnished his repuatation after the Chelsea debable had he taken us down though

Exactly this. He probably knew it would be near on impossible to keep us up. The fact we can still stay up going into the final game says more about the standard of the pl than it does about us 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, jayfox26 said:

I think Potter would consider us so long as the fire within the club can be contained. He's not likely to get a decent Premier league club so his only options would be Palace down and none of them have much money or any real ambition to be anything better than avoiding relegation. With our training ground and if we could get someone like Potter to steady us and rebuild us, we could be back where we were fighting in the top half of the prem in 2 years. We also need to ensure the scouting and medical department is sorted as these areas seem to have been really poor recently in terms of recruitment and injuries respectively.

I’m astonished by how many people seem absolutely convinced that Potter won’t come if we’re relegated. I’ve no doubt that his preference would be for a job this summer at a decent-sized PL club, but it doesn’t look like he’ll get offered one of those unless Spurs’ next four choices all reject them. I don’t think he’ll want to wait until somebody is sacked midway through next season as he’s not an emergency repair manager. After his experience at Chelsea, he’ll likely want to go back to doing what he does best: building a squad and creating a club culture. Yes, he’d probably prefer to do that in the PL, but if that isn’t available I think he might be tempted to do it in the Championship with a club he believes has the potential to be top half of the PL within a few years.

Edited by ClaphamFox

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

Nah he said he needed a break after the crap he got put through at Chelsea

1 hour ago, RowlattsFox said:

...it was never the right time to have committed himself to a club after what had transpired at Chelsea!!!

He would have been emotionally wrung out with the way things had panned out  and also the death threats against him, and his family.  Anyone in their right mind would have declined the offer.

I suspect there is an agreement that should we be looking at the end of the season he would give a serious consideration to the offer, but could not in all honesty take up the position with immediate effect, as it would neither be for the club or his best intrest to do so at the time.

• Like 1

Even if Potter is happy to manage us in the championship, he will have needed a break but also from a reputational aspect the last thing he needed after the Chelsea debacle was a relegation as well. 

However after a decent break of a couple of months to recharge and regroup, he may feel taking the job at Leicester is the perfect opportunity to get back in to the game and rebuild his reputation, regardless of the division we find ourselves in. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, RowlattsFox said:

Disagree. 

He had literally just been sacked. I doubt he wanted to walk in to a job the next day.

Whether he wants to manage in that league is a different question though 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

The question should be - with just two months until the start of the Championship season, and with the player turnover needed just to assemble a squad - who is going to want the job?

Watford continue to hire managers. There will be plenty of interest.

1 minute ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

There will be plenty of interest. But of the requisite quality?

Yeah sure. Certain types of managers would relish a situation like ours. I'm sure every manager looks at a job with a project but in some cases like Pearson (the return), you have to prepare somewhat for multiple years by clearing the squad of deadwood and bad eggs, and build from there. Here it's just a build from day one with the number of players out of contract and players that will probably want to move on

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

Thoughts on Matthias Jaissle? 

Could do with a new poll with Potter, Vieira, Hasenhuttle, Jaissle and Dean Smith as a shortlist :thumbup:

Interesting...

Edited by Tuna

1 hour ago, Sambiasso said:

Thoughts on Matthias Jaissle? 

Could do with a new poll with Potter, Vieira, Hasenhuttle, Jaissle and Dean Smith as a shortlist :thumbup:

Other than Smith, I would be happy with any of them.

• Like 2