Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Should be on the phone to Coventry this morning. Get Robins in.

No way do we keep Dean Smith. Not convinced he has much of a clue tactically.

We need a manager sharpish. Can't afford to wait until June.

Just now, adam said:

Knowing our Board they're probably off on their hols now!

I’m not saying this should happen at all, I’ve put forward a list of about 10 names I think we should seriously consider and this man isn’t anywhere near the top, 

but in hindsight, would anyone else genuinely consider Puel? 

I know I know the football was dreadful for a long while, but he was a stable pair of hands, he was also up against some very powerful players behind the scenes like Vardy and Kasper who I think we all knew didn’t like his plans, and over the years previous we had seen how much player power had an effect on club decisions. 

Puel did a fantastic job during the tragedy, and his rebuild was very very good, has a great eye for a player and we are in a league now which is obviously competitive but ultimately less talented. 

just have this feeling he’s the sort of manager who if given the reigns isn’t going to be a yes man and will drive forward with a plan, which is desperately what we need, take power away from the board. 

please don’t hurt me, just curious.

edit: Sod it, give me someone unstable and exciting who just wants to attack the ball 

Jaissle in  

Edited by cityfanlee23
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, roblcfc84 said:

We need someone with championship experience, that’s an absolute must. Ideally someone for the long-term, but we absolutely need a manager who understands the division. 

We don’t. Kompany zero championship experience. The year before, Marco Silva, zero championship experience!

5 minutes ago, adam said:

Do you know if robins is tactically astute ? 

Just now, st albans fox said:

Do you know if robins is tactically astute ? 

Going by the way he has performed with cov over the last few seasons he must have some idea.

Our issue is we don’t just need a good manager we need someone to help sort the club out from top to bottom and that is a big ask. Last time we were in this scenario was when we went down to league one and Nigel sorted us out. I haven’t got a clue who could be the right person this time. I would say I am slightly more intelligent than Rudkin and know more about football than him, so wtf will he do if he isn’t sacked.

I think our board want someone with both championship experience and premier league experience so that rules out the likes of Mark Robins.

They are probably hoping Graham Potter is interested.. but I doubt it.

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

I think our board want someone with both championship experience and premier league experience so that rules out the likes of Mark Robins.

I think it depends what offers potter has elsewhere - he may fancy the project as it’s quite a blank canvas 

the problem is that we need someone in NOW to help Rudkin/glover on who is being kept and who is going. Potter will be waiting to see what comes along. 

Edited by st albans fox

2 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Graham Potter won't drop down to the championship. No way.

• Like 1

If you want to be cheered up. On my way home from the football, I was listening to TalkSport and one Leeds fan wanted Rodgers and thought it was realistic for him to go there. The presenter just laughed and said "your club is a mess, he won't come!". I mean, he's good at creating mess. 

• Like 1

I don’t think Smith was as bad as some fans made out - we had two fundamental issues of goalkeeper and fitness - that he couldn’t solve. Don’t get me wrong, Iversen was an improvement vs. Ward but we don’t lose 5-3 to Fulham with an experienced, quality keeper. Leno has been massive for Fulham, a big factor in their success.

And we performed well on expected goals - it was fine margins in the end. 

But agree he’s not the right person - we need a younger, more energetic manager who will reform the club top to bottom. A younger version of Pearson. Who that is, I don’t know. 

Rudkin, in among his many failings, appears to lack European knowledge so unlikely we get anyone imaginative. It’s one of the reasons why we stuck too long with BR, he was a one-trick pony. 

• Like 1

Whoever it is he needs to be here within the next 2 weeks 

The amount of work to be done over pre season is going to be crazy 

You would hope the board have already agreed with someone over the last couple of weeks...🫠

I think I'd keep Smith tbh.  Level headed guy and was given no time to sort anything out.  I think I'd trust him with a full pre-season and a decent say in transfers. 

All this chat about Robins and Potter is bonkers.  Personally I think Robins would be too much of a gamble and Potter will bide his time for a prem job.

I'd go so far to say that Smith was appointed with one eye on the Championship.  If we stayed up, I'd expect we would have gone all out for Potter, but as we're down, I suspect Smith will be interviewed at length about what his ideas are for the squad, having gotten a feel for the club over the last couple of months.  I think the job will be his, if he wants it.