Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

17 minutes ago, cityfanlee23 said:

I’m not saying this should happen at all, I’ve put forward a list of about 10 names I think we should seriously consider and this man isn’t anywhere near the top, 

but in hindsight, would anyone else genuinely consider Puel? 

I know I know the football was dreadful for a long while, but he was a stable pair of hands, he was also up against some very powerful players behind the scenes like Vardy and Kasper who I think we all knew didn’t like his plans, and over the years previous we had seen how much player power had an effect on club decisions. 

Puel did a fantastic job during the tragedy, and his rebuild was very very good, has a great eye for a player and we are in a league now which is obviously competitive but ultimately less talented. 

just have this feeling he’s the sort of manager who if given the reigns isn’t going to be a yes man and will drive forward with a plan, which is desperately what we need, take power away from the board. 

please don’t hurt me, just curious.

edit: Sod it, give me someone unstable and exciting who just wants to attack the ball 

Jaissle in  

I'd maybe take Puel if he was coming in to a DoF role - but never as manager.

He did a decent job at the squad management side of things - moved us on from the aging title winning side and brought in some good players via his connections (Ricardo, Tielemans), but the footballing side was abysmal.

Won't happen in a million years though, and I'm sure there's more suitable options for both roles anyway.

• Like 1

Not sure who it is, but whoever it is needs to be appointed this week! Give them the longest time possible to shape the squad etc before next season. Do they want to offer evans a contract as an example. No point the club doing it this has to be the new managers choice. They needed appointing quickly and I’d like to think we have someone lined up who was willing to join which ever division we are in!

6 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

I don’t think Smith was as bad as some fans made out - we had two fundamental issues of goalkeeper and fitness - that he couldn’t solve. Don’t get me wrong, Iversen was an improvement vs. Ward but we don’t lose 5-3 to Fulham with an experienced, quality keeper. Leno has been massive for Fulham, a big factor in their success.

And we performed well on expected goals - it was fine margins in the end. 

But agree he’s not the right person - we need a younger, more energetic manager who will reform the club top to bottom. A younger version of Pearson. Who that is, I don’t know. 

Rudkin, in among his many failings, appears to lack European knowledge so unlikely we get anyone imaginative. It’s one of the reasons why we stuck too long with BR, he was a one-trick pony. 

Given we have had a couple of seasons in the Europa League / conference you would like to think our Clubs eyes would be open to some of the potential options out there - but agreed I doubt they would even consider approaching one of these guys.

7 minutes ago, ronnup said:

They'll keep Smith,  you watch 

Knowing how poor the decision making is at our club at the moment,  this is a genuine fear for me. Comes across as a decent guy but clueless.

Although tbh even if it isn't him I have zero faith in them to make a decent appointment. 

It feels like fundamental change is needed at the club Top to bottom.

However the levels of complacency there which has led to us sleepwalking to relegation, would indicate their mindset will be that we were unlucky to go down and as such not much will need to change to get us back up again.

Edited by Brizzle Fox

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

They’re not keeping Smith, chill. 

As reported by the itk, they’ll sound out Potter, get rejected and go for Vieira. 

Approaching Potter would be a sign of their continued delusion. No way would he consider coming here. Harshly treated at Chelsea, and then to us in the Championship. And what has Vieira done?! 

9 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

I don’t think Smith was as bad as some fans made out - we had two fundamental issues of goalkeeper and fitness - that he couldn’t solve. Don’t get me wrong, Iversen was an improvement vs. Ward but we don’t lose 5-3 to Fulham with an experienced, quality keeper. Leno has been massive for Fulham, a big factor in their success.

And we performed well on expected goals - it was fine margins in the end. 

But agree he’s not the right person - we need a younger, more energetic manager who will reform the club top to bottom. A younger version of Pearson. Who that is, I don’t know. 

Rudkin, in among his many failings, appears to lack European knowledge so unlikely we get anyone imaginative. It’s one of the reasons why we stuck too long with BR, he was a one-trick pony. 

Think that’s well summed up on him really. Genuinely think he was at a loss why Fulham happened. By the end, I think he sussed the squad a bit more but just not enough games for him to make the impact. Our defensive shape yesterday was so much better with Evans sweeping up. 

When we had those ‘basketball games’ I’m sure our fitness told. Throw in there is a good number of that starting XI carrying injuries I suspect 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

If we go for Smith we aren’t getting promoted he’s not good enough imo.

Norwich fans don't rate him at all.  

He's the obvious safe option though and completely uninspiring which is why I think he'll be near the top of the list. 

Those making the decisions will no doubt think it to be a good appointment.  I've got no trust in them to get this right.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Lionator said:

They’re not keeping Smith, chill. 

As reported by the itk, they’ll sound out Potter, get rejected and go for Vieira. 

No hope of getting Potter to come to the Championship, even if we offered him an open cheque book (he knows that that's no guarantee of success from bitter recent experience and I don't think Top has the cash anyway).

Viera is an interesting one. Can't decide if he's good or another Lampard/Gerrard. Did okayish at Nice and oversaw some excellent recruitment at Palace. But he seems a bit cautious - always felt that under him Palace played with the handbrake on despite having some excellent attacking players. I think on balance I'd give him a go tbh - a bit like Fulham gave Marco Silva a second chance. He's a name who will attract players and we might stand a good chance of getting some top Arsenal youngsters on loan with him in charge - getting PL youngsters on loan seems to be a key part of the blueprint for promotion from the Championship these days.

13 minutes ago, Xen said:

I'd maybe take Puel if he was coming in to a DoF role - but never as manager.

He did a decent job at the squad management side of things - moved us on from the aging title winning side and brought in some good players via his connections (Ricardo, Tielemans), but the footballing side was abysmal.

Won't happen in a million years though, and I'm sure there's more suitable options for both roles anyway.

DOF would be the perfect role tbh but I think we would need to give him a voice regarding which managers we go for since I think he’s obviously got a very strong idea over how football should be run, I’d hate to see a situation where the DOF has the complete opposite idea of the manager. 

Puel to replace Rudkin as DoF

Potter as coach 

That would be my ideal reshuffle, but neither will happen. 

I don’t believe potter would come, and I don’t believe we can afford him anyway. 

Edited by FoxesWalk
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

He's the obvious safe option though and completely uninspiring which is why I think he'll be near the top of the list. 

Those making the decisions will no doubt think it to be a good appointment.  I've got no trust in them to get this right.

Then went backwards themselves. Not that im

advocating the bloke to stay on. 

13 minutes ago, Brenfox said:

Puel? Jesus Christ what is this obsession with appointing former managers.

Wouldn’t want him as a coach, but he did a superb job of squad building. In my opinion, he is largely to thank for the initial success under Rodgers. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Frank Schmitt? He’s got FC Heidenheim promoted for the first time in their history.

He’s been there for their entire progression for the divisions. One club man. Very unlikely. He’s turned down decent sized clubs in Germany 

14 minutes ago, Legend_in_blue said:

Yup. Know quite a few Norwich lads and the concensus was that he was tactically naive with no plan. 

Tbf the next guy who came in didn't do any better but they're also a broken club at the moment, which goes back to my earlier point that if there isn't fundamental change of the way the club is run as a whole, then if probably won't make a lot of difference who is manager. 

• Like 3

I don’t want Smith, but I’ve said time and time again, he comes across as tactically inept at times since he arrived, however in our last 3 games the players were largely ignoring him. 

He’s been stood on the sideline for weeks screaming at players to get forward whilst they aimlessly default to Brendan ball. 

I’ve criticised smiths overall approach to the dire situation we were in where he seemed to timid to get us attacking and was setting us up to be hard to beat rather than to fight for the win, but with that said, whenever he turned on the switch to let the players get forward, they point blank ignored him. 

I don’t want Dean Smith, but I also don’t think he takes much responsibility for the games he was in charge of, he takes some obviously, but he was pissing into the wind with this group of players.