Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Still think people are quick to write off Smith, Shakey and Co.

They didn't have long enough to turn it round but they were, we went for over 1 hour with no goals conceded.

The damage was done with Rodgers.

Smith built solid foundations at Brenford, and Villa, look at both clubs now, of course their current managers are good but a lot of it are in the foundations, the ethos, the spirit of the club. To me Smith is a proven championship manager. 

Terry has to have some contacts for loan deals. 

SST staying on wouldn't be my preferred choice but I'd be willing to give them a shot. Whoever we appoint it should be as soon as possible.

My biggest concern is Smith continuing to be found wanting tactically. There's a question mark over whether Terry wants to stay on too - he said a few months back that he wasn't interested in managing long-term at the moment, I'm not sure if that counts being a first team coach/ assistant manager, but he's an absolute requirement for Smith staying IMO.

Just now, lfu said:

My biggest concern is Smith continuing to be found wanting tactically. There's a question mark over whether Terry wants to stay on too - he said a few months back that he wasn't interested in managing long-term at the moment, I'm not sure if that counts being a first team coach/ assistant manager, but he's an absolute requirement for Smith staying IMO.

Has he though?

He admitted mistakes on the first games but in fairness it takes time to get to know a squad, they know the squad now. They were trying to get results. The last 2 we set up really well and with a few more games I think we'd have stayed up easily. 

Agree I'd want all three, I think between them they add value we need

• Like 1

Just now, browniefox said:

Dean Smith didn't do enough to warrant getting the job full time in my Opinion. We need a refresh, big names to leave and start afresh in the Championship, I said it before and I will say it again. 

Bring Pearson back. 

He's had 8 games though? To me that's not nearly enough. It takes 2 or 3 at least to figure out the squad, who can do what etc. 

I think he could do a job here, the other realistic candidates don't do it for me.

I mean the Blackburn manager, who's attacking stats are appalling, has done nothing but midtable, the only reason people suggest him is because he schooled Rodgers in the cup. 

8 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

To be honest they were outside the playoff, was he given long enough?

Teams are too quick to sack managers these days, it needs time to build a proper set up and structure, that can included getting worse to get better! 

Maybe these days it shouldn't be the manager as they come and go, but clubs need to have a identity, a vision, its clear we don't have one and Rudkin has no clue, so we need someone string in there to drive the club.

Thats like people insulting us and suggesting Brendan wasn't backed.

If Norwich fans were unhappy then we can trust their judgement on that thinking.

9 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Big hint really is what we did after binning Rodgers, which was this weird fixation with the Red Bull model. Most if not all of the names on Sambiasso's list have been involved with them in the past. 

Red Bull Leicester?

15 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

To be honest they were outside the playoff, was he given long enough?

Teams are too quick to sack managers these days, it needs time to build a proper set up and structure, that can included getting worse to get better! 

Maybe these days it shouldn't be the manager as they come and go, but clubs need to have a identity, a vision, its clear we don't have one and Rudkin has no clue, so we need someone string in there to drive the club.

They were actually 5th when he was sacked at Norwich, although 12 points off automatics

They actually got worse after he left as well

Edited by moore_94

2 minutes ago, Blue ROI said:

Thats like people insulting us and suggesting Brendan wasn't backed.

If Norwich fans were unhappy then we can trust their judgement on that thinking.

But they are even more shit now? Either way I'm not sure 6 months is long enough to get results. 

If Norwich want the Watford model then that's up to them.

If a manager isn't given time how on earth can they build anything?

Also I don't think Shakey and JT were at Norwich.

Where Villa and Brenfird are now is no small mistake in my opinion. 

If there’s any chance of getting Jaissle then we must make him our number one target. 

I’ve banged on about the guy way too much over the past year, but watching him and his Salzburg team in action, he comes across as the real deal. 

21 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

He's had 8 games though? To me that's not nearly enough. It takes 2 or 3 at least to figure out the squad, who can do what etc. 

I think he could do a job here, the other realistic candidates don't do it for me.

I mean the Blackburn manager, who's attacking stats are appalling, has done nothing but midtable, the only reason people suggest him is because he schooled Rodgers in the cup. 

Yes and after the 2 or 3 he decided our best centre mid was Youri and Soumare, And stuck with them until the end. The results speak for themselves.

• Like 1

It needs to be someone that feels fresh and new. Someone people can get behind as a new era.

That isn’t Smith, as he’s looked a bit lost over the last few weeks and is now tarnished with relegation. It isn’t Hassenhutl or Vieria, as they’ve recently failed at similar/smaller clubs.

Potter is maybe an exception because of what he built at Brighton and it would be seen as a coup.

Jaissle is a risk but it might be exactly what we need right now. Take a gamble and hope he’s a breath of fresh air.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, browniefox said:

Yes and after the 2 or 3 he decided our best centre mid was Youri and Soumare, And stuck with them until the end. The results speak for themselves.

He got 9 points from his 8 games didn't he? Not brilliant, but more than 1 PPG will keep you up if you extrapolate it over a season. Smith is an average manager, yet he managed to get way more out of the squad than BR did.

• Like 1

Top ..... Whoever you decide upon ...  now is not the time to dither and wait around ..... pick you man and go for him ... and give him time and funds to begin to rebuild this club .... and give him the respect to choose his staff and director of football 

Top ..... Whoever you decide upon ...  now is not the time to dither and wait around ..... pick you man and go for him ... and give him time and funds to begin to rebuild this club .... and give him the respect to choose his staff and director of football 

44 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Still think people are quick to write off Smith, Shakey and Co.

They didn't have long enough to turn it round but they were, we went for over 1 hour with no goals conceded.

The damage was done with Rodgers.

Smith built solid foundations at Brentford, and Villa, look at both clubs now, of course their current managers are good but a lot of it are in the foundations, the ethos, the spirit of the club. To me Smith is a proven championship manager. 

Terry has to have some contacts for loan deals. 

Need a more inspirational manager Smith, Rodgers, Puel etc did not appear very emotional pitch side. Let’s have a ‘character’ for a change.

25 minutes ago, kingfox said:

If there’s any chance of getting Jaissle then we must make him our number one target. 

I’ve banged on about the guy way too much over the past year, but watching him and his Salzburg team in action, he comes across as the real deal. 

I like the idea of this. It’s a risk but I think I might be ok with the trio we got now to bring us back up! 

5 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

Need a more inspirational manager Smith, Rodgers, Puel etc did not appear very emotional pitch side. Let’s have a ‘character’ for a change.

Who is the character? Im willing to listen to names but feel we are looking fo someone who doesnt exist now. Smith seemed pretty animated yesterday.

I think we need to head back down the route of fitness, sports science, sports physcholgy, match analytics ala the Pearson days as for a smaller club that is what can give you the edge, that and really clever recruitment. I understand Smith is into the sports science etc. That's what won us the league. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad

2 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

I like the idea of this. It’s a risk but I think I might be ok with the trio we got now to bring us back up! 

Numerous Championship clubs have taken risks on young upcoming managers and had decent success. 

Kompany, Edwards, Carrick being the prime examples this season.

I could praise Jaissle in many ways, but most important of all, he has the likability factor.  

I’d take someone like him over Dean Smith any day. 

I haven’t seen it mentioned in here yet (i’m sure it  will be) but isn’t potter to nice all but done? Supposedly the only reason it’s not is because of the owners potential purchase of man U. 

Edited by Lambert09

23 minutes ago, Ricey said:

It needs to be someone that feels fresh and new. Someone people can get behind as a new era.

That isn’t Smith, as he’s looked a bit lost over the last few weeks and is now tarnished with relegation. It isn’t Hassenhutl or Vieria, as they’ve recently failed at similar/smaller clubs.

Potter is maybe an exception because of what he built at Brighton and it would be seen as a coup.

Jaissle is a risk but it might be exactly what we need right now. Take a gamble and hope he’s a breath of fresh air.

Absolutely (though I've no idea who Jaissle is!). We need a cultural re-set, and that is likely to require strong leadership - a Brian Little or Nigel Pearson type maybe?

I'd take Potter in a heartbeat, even though his strength isn't his most obvious characteristic

Edited by Steve Earle