Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

10 minutes ago, alanf0x said:

Smith was a season ticket holder at Villa for years and openly admits he follows them when out and about in the midlands. I must be the only one receiving pictures of him laughing and joking in Leicester kit from jubilant Villa fans saying mission accomplished! 

Pretty sure Smith would rather have got his bonus and achieved his targets. Couldn't give a crap what your Villa mates think.

4 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Don't think we will hear much this week.

Half of the non playng/coaching club staff will be getting their P45 today, that'll be priority number one to trim some costs.

I imagine Smith and co's contract finishes on Wednesday. Might get some clarity there before the end of the week.

UK transfer window opens next Friday I believe.

Maybe towards the end of the week some rumours will be out. Smith was meeting with top today. 

I wouldn’t choose smith but wouldn’t surprise me if he got it. But it will only be if terry and shakey are there too.

10 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

So did Marc Albrighton, in fact Shakey is a Villa fan, still did a job here. Wes Morgan was a Forest fan but lifted the championship title, premier league and fa cup with us. Players and managers have a job to do no matter who they support, so I'm not sure what your getting at.

I’m not questioning who supports who, just highlighting that there are many smug villa fans who are piping up now after a half decent season. Look forward to Barnes joining them for the next round of smugness 

3 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Pretty sure Smith would rather have got his bonus and achieved his targets. Couldn't give a crap what your Villa mates think.

Cheer up! The championship…it’s going to be alright! 

35 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Anyone mentioned Farke?

He would probably get us up, his record with Norwich in the Championship is pretty good.  I just wouldn't want him in the prem for the following season, games would be exciting but we'd ship more goals than this season.

Just now, Le Renard said:

He would probably get us up, his record with Norwich in the Championship is pretty good.  I just wouldn't want him in the prem for the following season, games would be exciting but we'd ship more goals than this season.

He's at Borussia Moenchengladbach. They are a comfortable mid-table Bundesliga side. 

1 minute ago, alanf0x said:

I’m not questioning who supports who, just highlighting that there are many smug villa fans who are piping up now after a half decent season. Look forward to Barnes joining them for the next round of smugness 

That’s football supporter’s in a nutshell. I was pretty smug about Cov not getting promoted. It’s a horrible feeling losing in a play off final, but for a Leicester City supporter, great :giggle:

• Like 1

When Deano last had success in the championship Richard O'Kelly was part of his coach staff. In fact he followed Deano from Walsall to Brentford then onto Villa in 2021 he left Villa. That's when things may have turned sour, maybe O'Kelly is worth bringing in also if Deano was to stay. Believe he's coaching at Walsall atm.

13 hours ago, Bilo said:

I'd be pleased with any of those, and all are fairly realistic.

We have to look at it from the POV of a manager who wants to manage in the PL, doesn't see any immediate openings but does see the opportunity to completely rebuild a recently relegated side with a better recent track record of success than most of the PL top 10, one of the best training facilities in Europe and possibly a few quid to spend after transfer fees and wages have been jettisoned.

Knutsen is a name I've seen come up a lot here. 

I would vote for Knutsen

9 hours ago, STUHILL said:

Yup, was never coming to a Championship club. 

Genuinely think he would have joined us if we stayed up. Sliding doors eh. 

...still a possibility I would think!!!

You have to look at the opportunities out there and make a decision!!!

We most likely would be offering £4m per season and that would match what some Premier league teams would seek to pay.

Palace is the ideal destination for Rodgers, it is all set up for him to take them forward, and we all know how that will end.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

He's at a mid-table Bundesliga club. Unless he gets the boot, he won't be moving to the championship. 

Gladbach are terminating Farke's contract. He's an incredibly one-dimensional manager, easily found out, incredibly stubborn and sticks to the same tactic whether it works or not, and for a former Dortmund U23 coach he has a terrible record with playing youth. Don't rate him at all, I hope we steer well clear!

https://www.getfootballnewsgermany.com/2023/daniel-farke-expected-to-leave-borussia-monchengladbach-at-the-end-of-the-season/

Edited by lfu
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I've never met a Villa fan that gives even the slightest bit of a shit about us. 

Having lived in the city and still working in the city, correct. Bit of jealously when the best performing club in the midlands but everyone I spoke to in the last month wanted us to stay up. All of them wanted Everton and Leeds down. 

A lot wanted Smith to succeed and gain a bit of credit for his own career. 

Edited by CosbehFox
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

When Deano last had success in the championship Richard O'Kelly was part of his coach staff. In fact he followed Deano from Walsall to Brentford then onto Villa in 2021 he left Villa. That's when things may have turned sour, maybe O'Kelly is worth bringing in also if Deano was to stay. Believe he's coaching at Walsall atm.

Villa fans I know see Rokleaving as the beginning of the end for Deano there

Never the same without him

1 hour ago, st albans fox said:

You’re right that we won’t just sell everyone 

but if we receive a good offer for someone like faes and the new manager is happy that glover can get someone in then maybe we would move him on - that’s true for all of them I guess. 

but assuming that no one wants anyone apart from madders,  Barnes and Castagne , then I reckon we’re left with 

GK:iverson/ward/smithies. (Have to sell ward or more likely, move on smithies on a free)

Fb: ricky/JJ/VK/ Thomas/ - Thomas is final year of his contract so he could be sold. 

CB: faes/souttar/vestergaard - vestergaard likely to be sold or come to an arrangement 

M: Bouba/KDH/hamza/Albrighton /praet/wilf  - hamza and Marc in final year as is praet and wilf who will surely both leave

S: daka/kel/vards   - kel in final year so likely to be sold 

Depending on who they think can step up from the U23, we will likely need to bring in two CB, 2 midfielders, and 2 wide players

46 games is going to be a slog ! 

Yes you're right, it's going to be a long hard season!

Faes looked very good in his first few games but under Rodgers, he was always going to struggle. The defence in general wasn't helped by the midfield and the tippy tappy backwards and sideways nonsense which invited pressure onto ourselves. Given the right manager and coaching team plus a pre-season to work with them, I think there's the makings of a good Championship defence. Thomas and Kristiansen are decent prospects and with all those games and other competitions, have the opportunity to mature and step up. 

Of all our players, I do think Iheanacho could be key to us next season and in the future given the right manager. Whether he'd sign a new deal though is debatable. 

4 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Their fans think he's sh1t and want rid.

They have been mostly terrible this season to be fair. Being stuck on a boiling bus with their fans on the way back to the train station remains one of the most torturous experiences of my life.  

2 hours ago, st albans fox said:

It’s pretty obvious that if you’re usually  receiving £130m from PL income and now £30m from a parachute payment then that’s a £100m hole 

there will be nuances so it won’t be exactly100m (could be 80, could be 120) - but you get the gist 

...the parachute payment would be 55% of the Premier League payment for the first year!!!

If it was £30m, it would neither be here or there.

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

Fulham aside, Dean did the best he could. He got form out of a rock bottom team to a level with a few more games we would have been safe. I don’t buy into not picking the right team because he didn’t play Mendy. He had a short window and had to pick what was available to him based on what he saw in training. 

...in that scenario,  Mendy must have failed to turn up for every session!!!

Glaring holes in the middle of the park and basketball performances. 

The sooner we announce his departure the better.  The longer we do not announce the more worried I will be.

• Like 1