Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

3 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

So let’s get this straight….

We should get Cambiasso because he liked a post on instagram

Dean Smith would hit the ground running having just literally taken us down

Get MON on who hasn’t won a professional game of football as a manager for about 10 years

Graham Potter 

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Have I missed anyone before I throw myself out of a window never to return to this absolute hell?

I did recommend Pirlo because he has lovely hair 

• Thanks 1

59 minutes ago, Le Renard said:

I didn't say he'd come to our club, he'd be insane to do so!

...any ambitious up and coming manager should be looking at us and seeing it as a great opportunity to progress their careers!!!

A season in the second tier with a chance to build their own team, the chance to manage in the Premier League,  if they do not see the opportunity,  then why are they in football management?

23 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Anyone said Puel yet? :ph34r:

I put the feelers out there but I bottled it and edited the comment lol

I’d take him to replace Rudkin though 100% he’s a stable leader who had an identity which is something we’ve been missing for a long while, has a fantastic eye for a player. My only concern then would be finding the right manager with a philosophy that Puel could suit. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Costock_Fox said:

Get MON on who hasn’t won a professional game of football as a manager for about 10 years

Graham Potter 

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

Have I missed anyone before I throw myself out of a window never to return to this absolute hell?

• Rafa because hE's GoT a TrAcK rEcOrD
  • People who have been living under a rock unaware that Bielsa and Pochettino have already gotten jobs, let alone that they'd never entertain the idea of joining us
  • Delusion that Postecoglou, Thomas Frank or Kompany would downgrade
  • Gerrard or Lampard 🤢
  • Shouts for Nigel Pearson Round 3 as frequently as the segulls from Finding Nemo who keep crying "Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine? Mine?"

Many of these names could potentially work out wonderfully, be it Pearson, Corberan, Carrick... There's still some talent in the 'realistic' appointments category.

I just worry that, whoever it is, and however capable they are, this might not pan out well. High expectations, restricted budget, the likelihood of holding out for bigger fees (thus strangling our recruitment), a mess among playing and non-playing personnel alike... It's a recipe for trouble.

9 minutes ago, Costock_Fox said:

Graham Potter 

Ruud Van Nistelrooy

To be pedantic, Rodgers took us down not Deano.

Big Sam is available, and he thinks he's the best manager around right now. 

1 minute ago, inckley fox said:

Many of these names could potentially work out wonderfully, be it Pearson, Corberan, Carrick... There's still some talent in the 'realistic' appointments category.

I just worry that, whoever it is, and however capable they are, this might not pan out well. High expectations, restricted budget, the likelihood of holding out for bigger fees (thus strangling our recruitment), a mess among playing and non-playing personnel alike... It's a recipe for trouble.

Whoever it is we need to go back to basics. Hard work, the right personalities and ambition. We seem to have lost all of that

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

I put the feelers out there but I bottled it and edited the comment lol

I’d take him to replace Rudkin though 100% he’s a stable leader who had an identity which is something we’ve been missing for a long while, has a fantastic eye for a player. My only concern then would be finding the right manager with a philosophy that Puel could suit. 

We laugh but him as DOF would be a genuinely good shout IMO. 

• Like 1

As someone who lives in the Norwich area, I know the fans of Norwich loved Daniel Farke when he was at the club (and they hated Dean Smith), he also had a great Championship record - getting Norwich promoted twice.  Rumour has it he's about to leave his current post at Monchengladbach.  I'd be very happy to pick him up.

2 minutes ago, Soupy said:

As someone who lives in the Norwich area, I know the fans of Norwich loved Daniel Farke when he was at the club (and they hated Dean Smith), he also had a great Championship record - getting Norwich promoted twice.  Rumour has it he's about to leave his current post at Monchengladbach.  I'd be very happy to pick him up.

Falls out with players left right and centre and has an awful record in the Premier League if we were to go back up. Plays decent football though and also as someone living in Norfolk I hear good things from Norwich fans. Too risky for my liking

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...any ambitious up and coming manager should be looking at us and seeing it as a great opportunity to progress their careers!!!

A season in the second tier with a chance to build their own team, the chance to manage in the Premier League,  if they do not see the opportunity,  then why are they in football management?

I wish I had as much faith as you, but the glass is half-empty at the moment.

5 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

We also need a credible  team to play in the Championship?

We'll need to sign/promote around 9-11 players, yes. It's fraught with uncertainty, but I feel we have a lot of useful players that could stay and perform next season.

If interested, I tried to give my opinion on next season's squad here

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

None of us have witnessed what Mendy is like in training. He's fallen out of favour with every manager here he has worked under and there must be a reason for that. He's a tidy player, but the thinking he is some sort of match winner is foxes talk nonsense. If Mendy was training properly and dedicated then i agree he should have featured more, but i respect Deans decision not to as well. Its hardly like he was dropping Madders or Vardy?!?

...when we needed a DM to close the gaping holes that teams were just walking through to our backline!!!

He is not a match winner,  in the sense that he is going to score or supply assists,  but at the other end of the pitch we were crying out for someone to steady the ship and stop us being over run.

Albrighton is a player that every new manager had ignored , but in the end had to come to rely on him. Even Pearson was not playing him until the great escape games.

Smith deserves to have the sack for failing to play Mendy. His  insistence of playing Tielemans and playing Soumare was as if Rodgers was feeding him instructions,  as he was as inept in player evaluation as he was.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vindaloo FOX said:

Ralph Hasenhüttl incoming 

He'd be a good appointment IMO. Did Southampton improve much after sacking him? He's got his faults but he was always hampered with a shoestring budget. He's also the "builder" type, where he would setup pathways from academy to first team and likes to promote from within. He's worked with Martyn Glover before too.

If I could pick anyone I'd go for Pearson because he built the club culture that took us to success, and that's what has been lost. But I'd be happy with Hasenhuttl too.

Even though we went down, I'm glad we dodged Jesse Marsch. I wouldn't feel confident at all if he rocked up.

Benitez would get us up IMO. The football would be kind of boring, but it hasn't exactly been thrilling for a long time now. Also *if* we get back up in the next 2-3 seasons I don't think we are going to able to be as cavalier in our approach. Tielemans / Maddison / Ndidi in their prime was the best midfield outside of the top 6. I can't see us recreating anything that good for a long time...

There are some other names being banded about too, but none too promising yet. 

• Like 2

Just now, urban.spaceman said:

We laugh but him as DOF would be a genuinely good shout IMO. 

He’s perfect for it, he’s a stubborn sod who doesn’t really come across as a yes man, has a very clear plan, loves bringing through young players and has a well documented track record of youth development of players like Eden Hazard etc. 

I think a role where he gets to oversee the development of an entire club would be more suited to him than day to day pitch management. 

Would love to see it!

re Rafa - As a DoF, sure, as a manager no. The biggest mistake we made was giving the egomaniacal leprechaun too much power rather than just being a head coach, Rafa is from the same mould and would demand a lot of power. that's fine in a DoF but leaves little continuity in a manager 

Edited by The Doctor
  • Like 1

It's not just getting back up it's about staying there too so that we don't go back to being a yo-yo club.

We are back to square one now regardless of what we've achieved in the past decade. I'd rather we invest in a manager for the long run even if it doesn't mean immediate promotion.

Than get a hitman to get us up without any plan of what happens next 

Edited by HybridFox

It's interesting that no bookmakers seem to be currently offering odds on our next manager. Yesterday somebody requested Leicester manager odds from Sky Bet via their twitter account, but Sky Bet refused, saying "we wouldn't look to offer this at the current stage". However they are offering odds on the next Leeds manager even though they're in a very similar situation to us (ie, in having appointed an interim manager until the end of the season).

I wonder why... 

2 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...when we needed a DM to close the gaping holes that teams were just walking through to our backline!!!

He is not a match winner,  in the sense that he is going to score or supply assists,  but at the other end of the pitch we were crying out for someone to steady the ship and stop us being over run.

Albrighton is a player that every new manager had ignored , but in the end had to come to rely on him. Even Pearson was not playing him until the great escape games.

Smith deserves to have the sack for failing to play Mendy. His  insistence of playing Tielemans and playing Soumare was as if Rodgers was feeding him instructions,  as he was as inept in player evaluation as he was.

He had to try and win games with a squad he had no hand in recruiting and a team he had no hand in conditioning. Suggesting a manager doesn't deserve the job because he didn't play Mendy is complete and utter idiocy. Remember, Smith had to get top 10 form out of a bunch that hadn't turned up to games for months. He very, very, nearly did it and would have done if the club hadn't been idiotic and waited so long.

Rather than making stupid assertions around not playing one of our DM players who we will never see back at the club anyway, i hope the club make their decisions based on the ability to rebuild the squad fast and effectively in the Championship.  If they think he can do that and has the connections and staff to do it properly (including JT who i think is key), then i really think he should be in for a large shout. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, foxfanazer said:

Falls out with players left right and centre and has an awful record in the Premier League if we were to go back up. Plays decent football though and also as someone living in Norfolk I hear good things from Norwich fans. Too risky for my liking

I think the general concensus among Norwich fans is he over achieved in getting them out the Championship (twice) but the board didn't/couldn't back him.  His brand of swashbuckling football got found out in the Premiership with basically mostly Championship players at his deposal.

• Like 1

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...why are there so many jobs being taken up by him, why is he not a long term manager!!!

No offence sacreblue, but why is it that most of your sentences begin with ellipses and end with three exclamation marks? 😂

• Haha 1