Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 hour ago, Bluearmyfox28 said:

Have Kieran Maguire’s recent tweets made it any clearer the financial position we will be in this year? Asking any finance guru’s lol 

Does he get a cut from Harry's sale?

Edited by HybridFox
  • Haha 1

It would upset a friend of mine who supports West Brom so I'm all for Corberan. My (very limited) understanding is they're even more of a financial bin fire than we might end up being and he did a very good job taking Huddersfield to the play-off final. Missed out by three points this season with West Brom who were 23rd when he took over.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, shiv said:

Personally I would push for Van Nistelrooy.

-Although he only had one season as PSV manager, he’s been a coach for 10 years now.

-PSV were outstanding this season, were top scorers in the league and still managed to finish 2nd despite losing Gakpo and Madueke in Jan.

-He’s been in and around the Netherlands coaching set up for many years.

-He’s managed PSV’s U17s, U19s so has brought youth through and contributed to Simons (20 years old) being top scorer in Eredivisie this season. Simons isn’t even a striker, he plays LW.

-He has pedigree in the game so would command respect.

-Needs to prove himself in England so would have the hunger to do well. 

It’s a gamble but just as much as a gamble as bringing in a journeyman who might well be past it and isn’t really going to be affected whether we go up or not. Let’s take Rafa as an example, if he doesn’t get us promoted he will still get thrown jobs left right and centre because he’s a big name and has done well in the past.

IMO this is type of appointment would be too short sighted, we have a huge rebuild to undertake and we need someone at the helm who can help oversee it. If we can assemble an exciting young squad, when we’re back in the PL we will have a stronger foundation to build from. 

I'm sold. 

I'd worry that he might need help in order to build a squad for the championship and that help being Rudkin though. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

If you given a choice of either of the following managers what would rather have them or stick with Smith.

Steve Bruce

Mick Mccarthy 

Chris Wilder

Steven Gerrard

Frank Lampard

Ralph hasstlulahl ×think that's how you spell it×

Bruno Lauge

Slaven Billic

Oscar Garcia

.... it is a bit of a Hobson's choice!!!

An absolutely gut-wrenching list that should not have seen the light of day. There is no acceptable answer to this.

• Haha 1

Corberan is realistic, gettable, knows the league well, and has performed decently in charge of mediocre teams with mediocre resources - just look at Hudds before and after he was there.

I watched his Terriers team a few times at the John Smith’s and without fail there were always some old geezers nearby moaning about the pretty football and not getting it launched asap - so should be business as usual if he comes here.

• Like 1

Just now, egg_fried_rice said:

Corberan is realistic, gettable, knows the league well, and has performed decently in charge of mediocre teams with mediocre resources - just look at Hudds before and after he was there.

I watched his Terriers team a few times at the John Smith’s and without fail there were always some old geezers nearby moaning about the pretty football and not getting it launched asap - so should be business as usual if he comes here.

He turned down Leeds to stay. Do we think he’d jump ship after just signing a new deal? I rate him but not sure he’d leave.  

• Like 1

The appointment of a manager is obviously important, but we also need a new Director of Football. Ideally it would be the DoF that would appoint a manager, and be the one to steady things, support the manager, get a sense of clear direction. The successful clubs across Europe understand this model.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, lfu said:

No offence sacreblue, but why is it that most of your sentences begin with ellipses and end with three exclamation marks? 😂

...I have had this question a few times, and explained it several times!!!

I started my very first post in that manner and thought I would continue to post all my posts this way. Just whimsy.

1 minute ago, shiv said:

He turned down Leeds to stay. Do we think he’d jump ship after just signing a new deal? I rate him but not sure he’d leave.  

IIRC that was around February - as Gracia found out he’d have been on a hiding to nothing to come in to a rancid Leeds team at that point.

And we’ve seen it all the time with players and managers - a bit of interest from elsewhere getting them a new contract with their current club. It’s not necessarily a reflection of their commitment.

For sure, it’s not a guarantee we’d get him, but we’d offer him more money and better facilities and perhaps even a chance to help shape the squad if we’ve got anything about us (and therein lies the likely issue).

He’d be high on my list.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...Smith, like you seem to have believed he had to go and throw everything at it, to win games!!!

He may have had little time to turn us around, but he failed to put a team and formation together apart from the Newcastle game where it seemed that he had finally put some thought and understanding into what he was doing.

Mendy's omission was idiotic, it made no sense, he was blinded by Tielemans and Soumare as a partnership. If you fail to see that, then that is your problem, unfortunately, Smith thought the same as you and here we are.

You have no idea if Mendy was training effectively or if he showed any commitment to the cause, but if the job interview is going to be 'would you have played Mendy in our last 8 games' then we are royally feked, because history seems to suggest he was bang out of favour with any management team that worked with him. As far as Soumare, pretty sure not a player Smith would have looked to acquire and was doggo a lot of the time, but did at least show glimpses of being progressive which is no doubt why he was there.  

14 minutes ago, pkonline said:

The appointment of a manager is obviously important, but we also need a new Director of Football. Ideally it would be the DoF that would appoint a manager, and be the one to steady things, support the manager, get a sense of clear direction. The successful clubs across Europe understand this model.

The outcome of said review is that the Director Of Football will stay in place. Because he is in charge of said review. 😂 

43 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

If you given a choice of either of the following managers what would rather have them or stick with Smith.

Steve Bruce

Mick Mccarthy 

Chris Wilder

Steven Gerrard

Frank Lampard

Bruno Lauge

Slaven Billic

Oscar Garcia

Hasenhüttl and at a very hard push Gerrard are the only names I'd consider over Smith, but lets face it is a very uninspring list and whoever does get it the likelihood is that the majority aren't going to be happy with the decision unless their last job was to manage a top 10 Premier League team or someone that managed us or played for us in the past looking at the names that keep popping up.

Edited by stu

46 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

Steve Bruce

Mick Mccarthy 

Chris Wilder

Steven Gerrard

Frank Lampard

Bruno Lauge

Slaven Billic

Oscar Garcia

I’d rather be be poisoned by ricin than anthrax but it doesn’t mean I want to be poisoned.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, shiv said:

Personally I would push for Van Nistelrooy.

-Although he only had one season as PSV manager, he’s been a coach for 10 years now.

-PSV were outstanding this season, were top scorers in the league and still managed to finish 2nd despite losing Gakpo and Madueke in Jan.

-He’s been in and around the Netherlands coaching set up for many years.

-He’s managed PSV’s U17s, U19s so has brought youth through and contributed to Simons (20 years old) being top scorer in Eredivisie this season. Simons isn’t even a striker, he plays LW.

-He has pedigree in the game so would command respect.

-Needs to prove himself in England so would have the hunger to do well. 

It’s a gamble but just as much as a gamble as bringing in a journeyman who might well be past it and isn’t really going to be affected whether we go up or not. Let’s take Rafa as an example, if he doesn’t get us promoted he will still get thrown jobs left right and centre because he’s a big name and has done well in the past.

IMO this is type of appointment would be too short sighted, we have a huge rebuild to undertake and we need someone at the helm who can help oversee it. If we can assemble an exciting young squad, when we’re back in the PL we will have a stronger foundation to build from. 

Didn't he resign for disagreeing with the board's view on the club's direction?

And to be honest, top 2 with PSV should be the remit for any PSV manager considering the size and reputation of the club and the league they compete in.

I doubt we can give him assurances that would make us an attractive proposition, especially given our financial circumstances and player contract situation.

He's just left a CL bound club and will look for a top level job with his reputation.

14 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

You have no idea if Mendy was training effectively or if he showed any commitment to the cause, but if the job interview is going to be 'would you have played Mendy in our last 8 games' then we are royally feked, because history seems to suggest he was bang out of favour with any management team that worked with him. As far as Soumare, pretty sure not a player Smith would have looked to acquire and was doggo a lot of the time, but did at least show glimpses of being progressive which is no doubt why he was there.  

Mendy had a good World Cup. Before which and whenever he'd played, arguably he was one of our best players, Albrighton too for that matter. The way he's always seemingly conducted himself, to suggest poor training is pure conjecture. 

Personally, I suspect he was overlooked because of his stature when it was felt we perhaps needed more strength and power in midfield. That would have been reasonably ok had we not continued to play the half hearted  powder puff lazy useless Tielemans instead. The only bonus is that we will now be rid of the parasite. Bloody good riddance. 

What Mendy would have given, evidenced from previous performances would have been accuracy in passing, retention of the ball, committed attempts in the tackle and most importantly, effort. Nothing flashy admitted. His lack of inclusion was criminal. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, shen said:

Didn't he resign for disagreeing with the board's view on the club's direction?

And to be honest, top 2 with PSV should be the remit for any PSV manager considering the size and reputation of the club and the league they compete in.

I doubt we can give him assurances that would make us an attractive proposition, especially given our financial circumstances and player contract situation.

He's just left a CL bound club and will look for a top level job with his reputation.

It was mainly because they sold Gakpo & Madueke in January instead of at the end of the season - they had a chance of winning the title had they kept them both.

Of course top 2 should be minimum but he achieved it along with silverware in his debut season. He’s earned his trade after being a coach / assistant for 9 years.

I think because it was his debut season he’s not guaranteed CL and if we can sell the vision / project whilst giving him a degree of control over assembling the squad we could convince him IMO. Let’s see though!

10 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

Mendy had a good World Cup. Before which and whenever he'd played, arguably he was one of our best players, Albrighton too for that matter. The way he's always seemingly conducted himself, to suggest poor training is pure conjecture. 

Personally, I suspect he was overlooked because of his stature when it was felt we perhaps needed more strength and power in midfield. That would have been reasonably ok had we not continued to play the half hearted  powder puff lazy useless Tielemans instead. The only bonus is that we will now be rid of the parasite. Bloody good riddance. 

What Mendy would have given, evidenced from previous performances would have been accuracy in passing, retention of the ball, committed attempts in the tackle and most importantly, effort. Nothing flashy admitted. His lack of inclusion was criminal. 

Totally agree!! 

Arguably Mendy had the finest game of any individual this season v Spurs... Didn't The poison dwarf drop him for the very next game 🤬🤬!! 

Then Smith refused to play him despite the absolute dross performances from Lardi Tielemans and Ndidi!!!.. 

Mendy will move on and hopefully find a club that rewards consistency and hard graft. Seemingly with us we only support lazy arsed, overpaid prima dona type midfielders!!! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1