Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Know a couple of Plymouth fans and they rave about their manager's, Steven Schumacher, different methods and focusing on players' fitness.

Of course, he'd be possibly too big an opportunity for him currently.

• Like 1

i'm going to get hammered for saying this and I don't care 😂 

Scott Parker

Promoted Fulham in 2020 through the playoffs

Promoted Bournemouth in 2022 automatically

We need a manager that knows the division and knows what it takes to get the team up

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Get Carter said:

Scott Parker

We need a manager that knows the division and knows what it takes to get the team up

It's not a truly horrendous shout. My biggest issue is that we would probably have to bin him off should we be promoted. 

• Like 2

I dont get why you write Parker off because he struggled in the PL. He was there with a promoted side, what do you expect? Fulham 2020 was the year their transfer policy was a mess wasn't it? Then Bournemouth he had like 3 games, he won one didn't he? Heckingbottom did sod all in his half a season or whatever at Sheff Utd, don't assume their board or fans want him sacked? 

45 minutes ago, Sankey93 said:

I know it’s early days but why aren’t we just making a a decision now and getting our man in or keeping smith ? Southampton already got Russell and there planning for arrivals yet we’re stuck behind as per usual! Leeds will appoint a manager before we do.

To be fair Southampton were relegated a fortnight ago so they've had a headstart in terms of being able to plan with certainty of which division they'll be in. It would be nice to have it sorted sooner rather than later but I don't think there's a major rush and I'd rather we take our time to get what is going to be a very important appointment right than give it to the first person who emails their CV in just for the sake of having someone in early.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Get Carter said:

Scott Parker

I would rather take Parker than the likes of Lampard and Gerrard because as you mention at least he has very recent experience of getting 2 different sides promoted out of the Championship

Just needs binning off once you are promoted haha

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, LeePhilpottsBaldSpot said:

Could Ruud van Nistelrooy be possible?

Tbh I just want somebody in soon - we can't drag our heels on anything this summer.

For that and a number of other reasons, Smith would be one of the better options as a continuity candidate.

it's not impossible but unlikely. He left PSV over a lack of ambition and budget to progress, so very much depends on whether we can turn round and offer that, and whether he's wanting into a job in England now.

Richie Wellens possible candidate. 

Like what I read here from good old wiki

"Wellens favours his teams to play attacking football, believing long ball and defensive minded football to not be suitable to long-term success.[57] He cites former Manchester United manager Alex Ferguson as a major influence on his approach.[57] Using a preferred formation of 4-2-3-1,[58] Wellens likes his teams to play out from the back and be patient,[59] Wellens likes his player to maintain a high level of intensity, even during training sessions"

Edited by Leicesterpool
  • Sad 1

32 minutes ago, Guest said:

To be fair Southampton were relegated a fortnight ago so they've had a headstart in terms of being able to plan with certainty of which division they'll be in. It would be nice to have it sorted sooner rather than later but I don't think there's a major rush and I'd rather we take our time to get what is going to be a very important appointment right than give it to the first person who emails their CV in just for the sake of having someone in early.

I get that I really do. But we’ve known for weeks and weeks it was a possibility of us going down so we could of planned for this! Unless we’re going to try and poach a manager from a diffrent club then we should of already started the ball rolling. We have a got a busy summer ahead so we can’t hang about.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

it's not impossible but unlikely. He left PSV over a lack of ambition and budget to progress, so very much depends on whether we can turn round and offer that, and whether he's wanting into a job in England now.

I think we might be surprised by how much we can offer a manager.

Part of going down with the most expensively assembled squad ever is the fact that our transfer incomings should be enormous compared to everyone else, including Leeds and Southampton. Getting a lot of dead wages off the books too. 

If someone really wants to get into English football, we could be an intriguing project as we'll have financial muscle to terrify some other clubs.

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

I think we might be surprised by how much we can offer a manager.

Part of going down with the most expensively assembled squad ever is the fact that our transfer incomings should be enormous compared to everyone else, including Leeds and Southampton. Getting a lot of dead wages off the books too. 

If someone really wants to get into English football, we could be an intriguing project as we'll have financial muscle to terrify some other clubs.

I think  our financial muscle will be moderate at best. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I dont get why you write Parker off because he struggled in the PL. He was there with a promoted side, what do you expect? Fulham 2020 was the year their transfer policy was a mess wasn't it? Then Bournemouth he had like 3 games, he won one didn't he? Heckingbottom did sod all in his half a season or whatever at Sheff Utd, don't assume their board or fans want him sacked? 

I’d write him off cos he just got binned again,  we should be looking for someone on the up. 
What damage will 2 sackings have done to his confidence in a season. 

Just now, themightyfin said:

I think  our financial muscle will be moderate at best. 

By the standards of the Championship?

Our financial model has been built on selling one big player a year, and it was our failure to do so coupled with ludicrous generosity in terms of contracts that limited our reach in the market last year.

We're now likely to sell at least big two assets for good money and get lots of dead wood off the wage bill. And that's taking into account the fact that our parachute payments will need to go into paying off loans. 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Whoever the manager is, they have to make us the fittest and most hardworking team in the league. I would like to think that we will have more quality than most teams in the league and if we outwork the opposition then our quality should show. 

Last time we were in the championship we didn't just have more quality than most teams in the league, we were a cut above anyone else in terms of fitness and athleticism. 

Well said 👏 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Duff is growing on me with what he’s done at Cheltenham and Barnsley. I don’t see us looking abroad like we should. In the end it will be either Hassenhutl or Vieira. 

Duff also has a decent personality. Been a leader throughout his career. Humble too. 

Matt Taylor at Rovrum a similar kettle of fish. 

I actually think we need this sort of apppintment because the first half of the season is about being humble, showing pride, getting fit and having 11 men on the field what can unite the fans for 90 minutes. 

We aim for a previous PL manager or promotion winner and I’m not sure they necessarily have the traits I list above. It’s a different job from that of say Fulham under Parker 

1 hour ago, BenTheFox said:

Whoever the manager is, they have to make us the fittest and most hardworking team in the league. I would like to think that we will have more quality than most teams in the league and if we outwork the opposition then our quality should show. 

Last time we were in the championship we didn't just have more quality than most teams in the league, we were a cut above anyone else in terms of fitness and athleticism. 

No excuse not to if the sports science is looked after.

All but Manchester City in the PL would love our facilities, never mind the Championship.