Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

1 minute ago, AjcW said:

He's a dresses smart and talks well fella, the sort that will get a job because he's interviewed well. The world is full of them, not just football. 

Of course, just my opinion, but the polar oposite to him (tracksuit and rough round the edges) took over at Bournemouth after Parker had claimed it was an impossible job.... didn't turn out too badly for him did it.

Yeah he did better than anyone could have imagined, and as mentioned above the near 60m spend in January helped him stop their slide in Feb/March. I also feel people weirdly assume that Parker was guaranteed to take them down because he gobbed off to the board 

3 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Yeah he did better than anyone could have imagined, and as mentioned above the near 60m spend in January helped him stop their slide in Feb/March. I also feel people weirdly assume that Parker was guaranteed to take them down because he gobbed off to the board 

It just all feels a bit too Brendan to me mate, he behaved in the way Brendan did, just didn't get away with it. 

I just want us to move away from that, something completely different, personality wise and personally style of play too.

1 hour ago, VintageFox73 said:

We will end up getting Nathen Jones..... spout his waffle about he is the best coach in Europe when it comes to fluent fast paced football, clean sheets, XG .....I can totally see Rudkin falling for it 

Whenever I read suggestions like this I think, "Why are people coming up these daft suggestions that everybody knows will never happen? Do they think it's funny?"

Then I remember that we apparently offered Jesse Marsch a three-year-deal and I think, "Ah.....".

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Whenever I read suggestions like this I think, "Why are people coming up these daft suggestions that everybody knows will never happen? Do they think it's funny?"

Then I remember that we apparently offered Jesse Marsch a three-year-deal and I think, "Ah.....".

I wouldn't want him not for one minute ..... but  we have Rudkin who is the master of making footballing decisions . He would probably give him a 6 year deal on £10m a year  lol

14 hours ago, Messi said:

I feel like Top and co will go with the easiest option available though. Hopefully not Smith, even though he was dealt a bad hand taking over when he did he’s not the answer long term.

..he wasn't dealt a bad hand, he asked for the opportunity!!!

I am not sure why he would want to go into a meeting to discuss the role on a long-term basis, he just needs to take the money and start looking elsewhere. 

We scoffed at the idea of him coming here previously, and then he became the only manager willing to take up our cause on such short notice (at least, according to the club) which left us with little choice, but to accept him at the helm.

The biggest worry is that people, as well as the club, have become so panicked, that we are considering that he would be the right candidate to take this club forward. 

It appears that a large part of our fanbase, has thrown up their arms, and have given up already. 

1 minute ago, Stinky said:

He might have kept them up, but he threw it all away. They'd been thumped 9-0, instead of protecting his players and club, he just looked out for himself and gave a bunch of excuses trying to shift blame. 

If he'd stayed, maybe he'd have been given the money in January. In which case it was even more daft to do what he did. He must have had talks with the owners about resources, Maybe they'd said they wanted to see if staying up was still realistic in January as sustainability was more important. 

I never watched enough of his teams to know if he was great tactically. But it's more the mentality of it that's a worry. You look at Klopp: has come out and said all Liverpool's problems are his fault. We all know that's not true; they've replaced their Sporting Director. But that's what a real leader does, takes responsibility publicly even when it's not entirely his fault. It's also why people will look to employ him in the future.

13 minutes ago, Lionator said:

We need to start hearing movement asap.

Rest assured - they've been so forward thinking and proactive with a plan, transfer targets and taking action with the manager this past year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sacreblueits442 said:

..he wasn't dealt a bad hand, he asked for the opportunity!!!

I am not sure why he would want to go into a meeting to discuss the role on a long-term basis, he just needs to take the money and start looking elsewhere. 

We scoffed at the idea of him coming here previously, and then he became the only manager willing to take up our cause on such short notice (at least, according to the club) which left us with little choice, but to accept him at the helm.

The biggest worry is that people, as well as the club, have become so panicked, that we are considering that he would be the right candidate to take this club forward. 

It appears that a large part of our fanbase, has thrown up their arms, and have given up already. 

Don’t appreciate that Smith / Shakey and Terry as a team is ‘giving up’ at all. He’s a proven builder and the team will work, but it has to be the whole team and strategically he should be aligned with the board. 

The biggest worry, is that people have forgotten we’ve been relegated and still think Potter is coming, or that Van Nistelrooy might see this as the next step after his stint at PSV. 

3 hours ago, Dan LCFC said:

He's not my first choice but Scott Parker is who I see it being given he's out of a job, has recent experience of promotion (twice), just ticks their sort of boxes. To be honest if he got us up and he wasn't good enough in the PL then I think I could deal with that? Providing we didn't then keep him until 2nd April of course.

...we continually tie ourselves down to pointless caveats and we never seem to learn!!!

Must have previous experience of certain situations,  is not necessary,  it is that which has limited our choices and our horizons. Must have previous Premiership experience, must have knowledge of the Championship, let us look at a manager on merit, and stop putting obstacles in the way.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we continually tie ourselves down to pointless caveats and we never seem to learn!!!

Must have previous experience of certain situations,  is not necessary,  it is that which has limited our choices and our horizons. Must have previous Premiership experience, must have knowledge of the Championship, let us look at a manager on merit, and stop putting obstacles in the way.

I agree with this in fairness.

Plenty of managers who tick those boxes who I'd want nowhere near the club and plenty without who'd intrigue me.

• Like 1

For me the best man I think to get us out is Gary Rowett, other than his time at Stoke his record at this level pretty decent. Known in his career for working with teams with limited means. Would sort out our defence no problem, would he leave Millwall for us? hell yeah, bigger club, maybe more money, closer to home for him, better chance of promotion and ex player. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

The biggest worry, is that people have forgotten we’ve been relegated and still think Potter is coming, or that Van Nistelrooy might see this as the next step after his stint at PSV. 

...they may not come, but why limit our vision to journeymen and the man next door!!!

Try selling our club to these people, explain our plans and sell our vision.  You maybe right, they may see us as a basket case of a club, and wish to stay clear, but if you do not ask the question, you will never know the possibility of someone saying yes.

We need to see this as an opportunity to renew this club, use this adversity to restore the original vision we previously had and we are not going to do that with Smith, so long as he brings JT with him.

Keeping Smith  Shakespeare and Terry has to be a possible.   

Smith left Norwich in the play off positions; they didn't finish there.  His average points per game with us would have kept us up over the season.  He took Villa up and left solid foundations.   He put the foundations in place at Brentford.

Smith and team know the squad (what's left of it) and know the job required.  They basically k ow what the are doing which would be a bonus in amongst the current mess.

There may be better options but there are many worse ones. Many of the better options are in post elsewhere. Currently,  I see a relegation fight as a possibility next season;  I wouldn't see that with Smith in charge.   He is probably available now; we need a manager now.  I would rather take Smith now than get a new manager close to the start of the season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Loads of people with rose tinted spectacles on here!

I feel we should be looking at good upcoming young managers who have proven experience in the same or lower leagues. Someone who is hungry for success. Let's take that chance just as we did with Martin O Neill.

Just now, sacreblueits442 said:

...they may not come, but why limit our vision to journeymen and the man next door!!!

Try selling our club to these people, explain our plans and sell our vision.  You maybe right, they may see us as a basket case of a club, and wish to stay clear, but if you do not ask the question, you will never know the possibility of someone saying yes.

We need to see this as an opportunity to renew this club, use this adversity to restore the original vision we previously had and we are not going to do that with Smith, so long as he brings JT with him.

Yup. You still think Potter is coming don’t you😬. For that reason we will probably be starting our first game this season with Sadler in charge. 

Michael carrick would be nice. Love his style of football at middlesborough. The thought of the rebuild must be attractive but can we realistically get someone like him away from a top end championship club?

6 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

For me the best man I think to get us out is Gary Rowett, other than his time at Stoke his record at this level pretty decent. Known in his career for working with teams with limited means. Would sort out our defence no problem, would he leave Millwall for us? hell yeah, bigger club, maybe more money, closer to home for him, better chance of promotion and ex player. 

No he isn’t 

9 minutes ago, Leicesterpool said:

He's done an ok job but doesn't exactly have a pedigree for promotion