Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

8 minutes ago, lcfc80 said:

Did a decent job at Rangers (i know i know) but learnt through the ranks at Liverpool as well. Could be a decent fit here, as he's got to rebuild his managerial career whilst we need to rebuild the club. It would be a positive move for me, and would lift the place. Anyone like Smith would be like going back to the Bassett or Levein times

Ask any Villa fan - they love Smith and think Gerrard took them backwards. Why would you want us to take somebody who recently performed demonstrably worse than Smith at the same job? 

As it happens I don’t want Smith either, but I’d take him in an instant over Gerrard.

• Like 1

Just now, foxinsocks said:

smith leading the betting.  Surprised fat frank isn't in the list.  Ralph hassenhuttl would be my choice - he runs a tight ship and everything is consistent.

Which bookies have odds? There weren’t any yesterday…

24 minutes ago, lcfc80 said:

I'd be happy to take Steven Gerrard, could be the ideal time seeing as we need a full rebuild. Would probably take the job as well. Defo not Smith for me, the Newcastle game convinced me he's a big no-no

...Newcastle was the only time he prepared the team as a manager!!!

His take on the other games was very poor and as for Fulham, I  have no idea what transpired before the game because something must have to have resulted in that performance. 

Having Gerrard in because we need full rebuild, is also a poor take on our move to go forward.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Each appointment or signing should be judged on it's own merit but emulating Southampton hasn't worked very well for us up to now.

Puel, Vestergaard, Bertrand and Glover haven't been roaring successes. Totally take you point that he's probably better than his spell there but it's just so lazy, so uninspiring - it's got us written all over it.

But I think even his spell at Southampton on the whole was decent. He saves them from near certain relegation in his first season, they finished 11th in his second season despite their 9-0 drubbing and he comfortably kept them in the league for the following two seasons with what was a pretty average squad. Their fans felt like it was maybe time for a change at the end but what was very telling is that there wasn't any resentment towards him. They appreciated that to some extent at least, they found their identity again after the Puel/Pellegrino/Hughes horror show. 

I'm drawing parallels between him and Marco Silva, who had an Everton team that was better than anything Hassenhuttl had at Southampton (in my opinion at least) lingering around the bottom three at Christmas. He dropped down o the championship and got Fulham up with ease and has done very well since. I think Hassenhuttl could do that given the opportunity. 

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, Rigga said:

What Emery has done at villa with the same crop of players has shows what a fraud gerrard is as a manager 

Agree Gerrard isn't good but Emery is an elite manager who unfortunately has an accent people like to mock. Very underrated and potentially unfair as a comparison to managers we are linked with. Although agree we shouldn't go Gerrard

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

Hassenhuttl I think is being unfairly judged. His record across his entire managerial career is very respectable.

I agree with this, I also think it's the reason why we'll struggle to get any up and coming European manager.

They all know they only get one chance in England. Managers like Smith, Parker, Lampard and Gerrard will be offered jobs after failure. Whereas managers like Farke, Wagner, Marsch are all totally written off and have to go abroad to rebuild their reputation. Even Unai Emery was mocked and written off because of his accent and he couldn't get Arsenal in the Champions League. There are people who wouldn't have wanted him here, yet he's won Ligue 1 and the Europa League x4.

Hassenhuttl was at Southampton when there's constant unrest at board level. As soon as they sacked him they fell off a cliff. Whether he's the answer who knows, but I would like to see some energy and pressing in our team. 

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 3

35 minutes ago, lcfc80 said:

I'd be happy to take Steven Gerrard, could be the ideal time seeing as we need a full rebuild. Would probably take the job as well. Defo not Smith for me, the Newcastle game convinced me he's a big no-no

Don't want him anywhere near the club, are we completely forgetting that he had a Villa side that finished 7th this season in the midst of a relegation battle before the World Cup?

Guest lcfc80
1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Ask any Villa fan - they love Smith and think Gerrard took them backwards. Why would you want us to take somebody who recently performed demonstrably worse than Smith at the same job? 

As it happens I don’t want Smith either, but I’d take him in an instant over Gerrard.

That same thing can be said about many potential managers, Ralph,  done nothing with Southampton. Smith, took us and Norwich down, (his win ratio isn't much better than Gerrards at Villa and that includes in the championship with Jack Grealish in the team). Just to mention 2. Some others mentioned wouldn't even dream of coming. 

Guest lcfc80
9 minutes ago, studentofthegame said:

Don't want him anywhere near the club, are we completely forgetting that he had a Villa side that finished 7th this season in the midst of a relegation battle before the World Cup?

As someone else has mentioned, Emery is an elite level coach with 20 years of proven decent track level 

12 minutes ago, MattFox said:

It’ll be someone mediocre but with a relatively high profile at this level

KP don’t do outside the box managerial appointments 

You say that, but Ranieri & Puel were not exactly at the forefront of everyone's minds. Rodgers was a little different where it seemed the obvious ambitious choice.

What they do look for however is track record. I think they will look to Rafa or Parker, as much as I'd rather we went for someone a little more forward thinking.

24 minutes ago, ClaphamFox said:

Would you take Lampard? 

• Haha 1

Think Duff would be my choice at this point on the basis that he appears to be Pearson 2.0 - done a fantastic job at two clubs now, big into the psychology side of things which we need right now, and seems tactically astute.

However I would take Hassenhuttl as he's experienced and has improved every team he's managed. Won't take any nonsense from that Rudkin bumbaclaat either.

Not massively impressed by most of the other names mentioned here. I like Rafa but think we need a bloke who sees this as a serious opportunity to build something rather than someone towards the end of their career.

• Like 1

I doubt very much that we’ll get a manager who is on the up, such as McKenna. Too much chance of their reputation being tarnished if they don’t do that well. Which, let’s face it, seems more likely with Rudkin behind the scenes. 

If we don’t get Smith, I think we’ll end up with someone who has been round the block a bit, like Wilder or a systems guy. I would love for us to get Potter, with a 5 year contract and brief to sort the U23/academy out. No chance of that happening though. 

Used to rate Hassenhuttl, played some exciting stuff on the pitch but it was a bit weird when he dropped to the floor and cried after beating Klopp’s Liverpool, and he wears prostate gloves. 

After signing two of the players that we beat 9-0, knowing how that went, if we then go and get the manager it’s just too funny. 

Edited by Levi Port

Gerrard and Lampard??? FFS

We want an up and coming manager with something to prove, not ones who get managerial jobs off the back of their amazing   playing careers.

May as well go for Ruud Gullit!!