Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

26 minutes ago, MattFox said:

It’ll be someone mediocre but with a relatively high profile at this level

KP don’t do outside the box managerial appointments 

This is the frustrating thing for me..we literally have dinosaurs running the club.

Let's just say we were relegated last season like Burnley was. Our board would never in a month of Sundays took on Vincent Kompany.

They would look at him and think he wouldn't have the championship experience.

Yet he took Burnley up at a canter.

Just shows how much of an overhaul is needed not just at playing level but the whole infrastructure of the club.

• Like 3

Just now, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It'll be him or a 'big name' like Gerrard/Lampard.

I reckon it will be Smith or they will try to bring Pearson back because he is who go us up last time. I love Nige, but I think that would be a mistake even if he would leave Bristol to come back to us. 

Two year contract with big bonuses for promotion and, hopefully, survival once promoted is the way forward. If the new manager does both, he'll be rewarded handsomely from a financial perspective in the short term and then have a contract extension if he's decent.

Most of the managers we are in a position  to go for have been sacked.

There are a lot of advocates for Pearson. He's been sacked a few times but we know what he's capable of.  Luton did okay with a sacked manager.  The nature of football is that managers are more likely to fail than succeed.

Rodgers was a success then he failed.

It will be really tough to make a good appointment.  Smith may be a good option.

When does everyone think we'll see an official announcement? 

Presumably there'll be a series of debriefs this week. 

Would be peak We'll Be Fine FC to have had the last 12 weeks to sort this out and not have a plan going into the summer.

1 minute ago, RoboFox said:

When does everyone think we'll see an official announcement? 

Presumably there'll be a series of debriefs this week. 

Would be peak We'll Be Fine FC to have had the last 12 weeks to sort this out and not have a plan going into the summer.

Top alluded to decisions in 'the coming days and weeks,' so expect a drip feed of news over the coming weeks. 

It’s extremely hard to judge the ‘lower’ managers nowadays, Rob Edwards went from Forest Green in May 2022 to getting sacked 10 games later, then getting Luton promoted. Nothing there makes sense. 

People like Carrick & Jon Del Tomasson both had great season, but both ultimately failed once they got themselves into a commanding position, Blackburn in particular failing to make the playoffs was a shocker, they were 4 points ahead of Coventry & 8 ahead of Sunderland with 8 games to go. 

Sadly, despite all that, I’m struggling with ideas myself, Gary Rowett had a good season, but so ex-players tend to be the best option? Our history shows a huge devotion to ‘British’ managers so I’d be shocked if we went abroad and found someone……. Potter would be ideal, but I can’t see it 

Just fearful it will end up being someone like Scott Parker, but whoever it is, it needs to be decided very quickly 

Edited by Onions

2 minutes ago, LittlethorpeFox said:

Have been reading through the thread for a while and interesting hearing everybody's thoughts.  Have tried to categorise into the type of appointments we're looking at.  

IDEAL - Graham Potter on a long term project contract 

BEST OF THE REST (& gettable)- Duff, Hassenhutl

BEST OF THE REST (harder to get out of current contract?) - Carrick, McKenna, Robins, Thomason, Corberan, Postecoglou

EASIEST OPTION (FOR THE CLUB) - Smith

UNTRIED IN ENGLAND  - Hutter, Knutsen

MARMITE - Gerrard, Lampard, Benitez, Parker, Pearson

LEFTFIELD (unproven) - Cambiasso, van Nistlerooy, Terry

UNINSPIRING - Wilder, Vieira, OGS, Nathan Jones, Rowett, Marsch, Nuno, Farke, Lennon

Nice summary. Potter (unrealistic, but let's ask the question), Duff or Hassenhuttl for me. Maybe JDT.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, LittlethorpeFox said:

Have been reading through the thread for a while and interesting hearing everybody's thoughts.  Have tried to categorise into the type of appointments we're looking at.  

IDEAL - Graham Potter on a long term project contract 

BEST OF THE REST (& gettable)- Duff, Hassenhutl

BEST OF THE REST (harder to get out of current contract?) - Carrick, McKenna, Robins, Thomason, Corberan, Postecoglou

EASIEST OPTION (FOR THE CLUB) - Smith

UNTRIED IN ENGLAND  - Hutter, Knutsen

MARMITE - Gerrard, Lampard, Benitez, Parker, Pearson

LEFTFIELD (unproven) - Cambiasso, van Nistlerooy, Terry

UNINSPIRING - Wilder, Vieira, OGS, Nathan Jones, Rowett, Marsch, Nuno, Farke, Lennon

Good summary, but Lampard as ‘marmite’? Does anybody actually want him? 

1 minute ago, ClaphamFox said:

Good summary, but Lampard as ‘marmite’? Does anybody actually want him? 

Yeah he could have easily gone in the uninspiring lot tbf. I think i just so closely associate his name with Gerrard that "Gerrard / Lampard" just rolled off the tongue lol 

Edited by LittlethorpeFox
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Stopharage said:

Surely now is the time for the reappearance of John Beck? Claridge assistant manager. Seeing as most of our midfield will leave and we need to manage the budget, just bypass that area of the pitch. Play 5 CB who can kick the ball long. 

Souttar up front 👍🏼