Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

41 minutes ago, LittlethorpeFox said:

Have been reading through the thread for a while and interesting hearing everybody's thoughts.  Have tried to categorise into the type of appointments we're looking at.  

IDEAL - Graham Potter on a long term project contract 

BEST OF THE REST (& gettable)- Duff, Hassenhutl

BEST OF THE REST (harder to get out of current contract?) - Carrick, McKenna, Robins, Thomason, Corberan, Postecoglou

EASIEST OPTION (FOR THE CLUB) - Smith

UNTRIED IN ENGLAND  - Hutter, Knutsen

MARMITE - Gerrard, Lampard, Benitez, Parker, Pearson

LEFTFIELD (unproven) - Cambiasso, van Nistlerooy, Terry

UNINSPIRING - Wilder, Vieira, OGS, Nathan Jones, Rowett, Marsch, Nuno, Farke, Lennon

Pretty much sums up my thoughts - Duff my preferred option atm.

Although would have Gerrard and Lampard in the uninspiring section 😬 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lcfcsnow said:

We’ve already signed two from the 9-0 can’t believe there are calls for the manager now to complete the hat trick

Now that we’ve seen the other pair play for us, it actually makes Hassenhuttl’s job at Southampton all the more commendable considering that’s the box of tools he had to work with. 

3 hours ago, majaco said:

Keeping Smith  Shakespeare and Terry has to be a possible.   

Are we convinced that Terry would actually stay here?

Didnt he leave Villa after they stayed up because he didn’t want to be involved with coaching full time and the demands of that?

It seems to me that Terry wanted to come here because it was a chance to coach in the Premier League again, 6 weeks of work for good pay & because he could play golf every day after training.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, lcfcben76 said:

Are we convinced that Terry would actually stay here?

Don't think even he knows what he wants. I think originally he left as he did want to be a manager. Then he realised how hated he is due to the Anton Ferdinand and Wayne Bridge incidents and that no fanbase wanted him.

Then he went to Chelsea to be a youth coach and started saying he didn't want to be involved in first team coaching anymore. Then when Chelsea needed an interim manager they overlooked him and appointed Fat Frank from outside. And he left at the first opportunity to go back to first team coaching.

Now he says he left Villa for family. But he said this at the time: https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/jul/26/john-terry-leaves-aston-villa-to-focus-on-becoming-a-manager

Edited by Guesty
  • Like 1

I don’t think Smith is the choice for us to be honest remembering some of the dire performances on the run in I.E Fulham , Liverpool , but having said that I don’t know who could do a proper job with what’s going to be left of the squad and what finances if any are going to be available. 

55 minutes ago, Jamie Vard-on said:

I don’t know, because I’m not even sure what the club is anymore.

Is it a plucky underdog looking scrap away?

Is it a delusional wannabe in decline?

Is it a future Top 6, in re-build?

Is it a Championship yo-yo back in the doldrums?

The board takes for granted we are a future Top 6 in re-build ... a view which does not fit any aspect of the reality of the last 18 months.  This is the biggest problem at the club, and why our current situation is so dangerous.

IMO you are dead on, answering this question is critical to hiring the right manager.  We are either

(a)  a club with the resources to target an immediate return to PL stability (which for all but seven clubs means midtable, not top 6), or

(b)  a club with structural and financial problems deep enough to require a tear-down and period of consolidation in the Championship.

I'm hoping we are (a), but like you, I'm not even sure anymore.  But I am sure we have to target one or the other, and align everything at the club around that one realistic vision.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Silebyfox_89 said:

Just been watching the league one playoff finals again and Duff has Barnsley playing some nice stuff.

So we’ve gone from wanting Potter, Benitez to a manager that couldn’t get Barnsley promoted from League One? Why the fffff do people want Duff. We need a manager that can get us consistent results. If you look at Barnsleys results lately it’s very inconsistent.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jamie Vard-on said:

I don’t know, because I’m not even sure what the club is anymore.

Is it a plucky underdog looking scrap away?

Is it a delusional wannabe in decline?

Is it a future Top 6, in re-build?

Is it a Championship yo-yo back in the doldrums?

Before we get a manager, it needs to be clearly understood what kind of club we are, and what we’re trying to accomplish, realistically.

Leicester has a weird schizophrenic identity, caught in a painful transition. Not quite out of ‘little old Leicester’ - but no where near elite contender. 

I don’t want an amiable meat-head like Dean Smith (no offence). I don’t want an overhyped grifter like Sven Gorman Eriksen (some offence). 

Rodger’s was alright, but his ego always gets the better of him, and he self-destructs - but he had ambition and flair (at times). 

I can name anyone, but he has to have certain traits. He has to have common sense, and be willing to call out bullish!t. He needs to be a leader, and a mentor. He needs to be ambitious enough to play ‘real’ football, but dogged enough to win ugly. A man who isn’t spell-bound by big names or egos, and puts the reality of the job before his own pride. 

So send your CVs to [email protected] 😎

The club is what it’s always been, with possibly more money than we used to have. One team out of about 40+ who can have long spells in the Prem but also have spells outside it.

We aren’t much different to the Everton, Palace, Wolves of this world. We cannot be a future ‘top 6’ unless we consistently pay ‘top 6’ wages.

And the manager you are describing is Big Nige.

1 hour ago, Sk4 said:

I don’t think Smith is the choice for us to be honest remembering some of the dire performances on the run in I.E Fulham , Liverpool , but having said that I don’t know who could do a proper job with what’s going to be left of the squad and what finances if any are going to be available. 

During hopefully his short stay Smith did nothing to inspire me and the same is true from friends who support Norwich. So its a now from me.

Our aim should be to land Potter who transformed Brighton with a team of mostly unknowns into a great footballing team.  

1 minute ago, dylanlegend said:

So we’ve gone from wanting Potter, Benitez to a manager that couldn’t get Barnsley promoted from League One? Why the fffff do people want Duff. We need a manager that can get us consistent results. If you look at Barnsleys results lately it’s very inconsistent.

Presume cos he’s ‘young and hungry’.  Not even Championship experience, so I just don’t see it happening. 

With Hassenhutl, I would have actually been keen with the interim position but I’m not sure right now. My overriding memory was him looking knackered at Southampton and I couldn’t believe he was only in his mid 50s. I’m not sure he has this project in him. 

4 minutes ago, Fox1norfolk said:

During hopefully his short stay Smith did nothing to inspire me and the same is true from friends who support Norwich. So its a now from me.

Our aim should be to land Potter who transformed Brighton with a team of mostly unknowns into a great footballing team.  

The same Potter who played some pretty poor stuff last season and finished below Leicester. The same Potter that left for one of the richest clubs in the world and failed in the most spectacular of fashions, whilst his successor at Brighton showed what was really possible with that team. The same Potter that rejected us when we sacked off Brendan. The same Potter who’s last job was at a salary so ridiculously out of our reach you know full well we won’t match his demands, and if we did we would be straight back into Brendan territory. 

Absolutely crackers for thinking it’s even likely. And I tell you what, Potter showed such inflexibility at Chelsea I am convinced he wouldn’t have got more than 9 points in our last 8 games. 

19 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

Just a reputation thing. If some no mark did with Rangers/Villa what Gerrard did, some of us wouldn't feel so insulted that we have been linked with him. Because they were once a top player they're then judged harsher. 

Duff hasn't yet failed as a manager I suppose, which is bizarrely a key factor in some fans' mind as to who should get the job 

17 minutes ago, dylanlegend said:

exactly my thoughts, just doesnt strike me with any confidence. not many do tbh, i only said Benitez and Wilder coz theyve done it previous, could get you up then look again?? Ideally Potter or Hassenhutl would be nice

6 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

The same Potter who played some pretty poor stuff last season and finished below Leicester. The same Potter that left for one of the richest clubs in the world and failed in the most spectacular of fashions, whilst his successor at Brighton showed what was really possible with that team. The same Potter that rejected us when we sacked off Brendan. The same Potter who’s last job was at a salary so ridiculously out of our reach you know full well we won’t match his demands, and if we did we would be straight back into Brendan territory. 

Absolutely crackers for thinking it’s even likely. And I tell you what, Potter showed such inflexibility at Chelsea I am convinced he wouldn’t have got more than 9 points in our last 8 games. 

Potter is actually a good manager when allowed time to ‘build’.

but you are right…. There’s no way he’s coming to the championship far too big a risk. He may even end up back at Brighton if De Zerbi leaves for spurs 

3 hours ago, LittlethorpeFox said:

Have been reading through the thread for a while and interesting hearing everybody's thoughts.  Have tried to categorise into the type of appointments we're looking at.  

IDEAL - Graham Potter on a long term project contract 

BEST OF THE REST (& gettable)- Duff, Hassenhutl

BEST OF THE REST (harder to get out of current contract?) - Carrick, McKenna, Robins, Thomason, Corberan, Postecoglou

EASIEST OPTION (FOR THE CLUB) - Smith

UNTRIED IN ENGLAND  - Hutter, Knutsen

MARMITE - Gerrard, Lampard, Benitez, Parker, Pearson

LEFTFIELD (unproven) - Cambiasso, van Nistlerooy, Terry

UNINSPIRING - Wilder, Vieira, OGS, Nathan Jones, Rowett, Marsch, Nuno, Farke, Lennon

Ideal is absolutely the perfect word for BOTH parties. We are a clean slate and he would have absolutely zero pressure coming here. World-class training facilities and a practically empty squad to build from scratch. Top and Suze should be fighting tooth and nail to sell the club to him.

• Like 1

Guest glasgowfox

Within reason I do not think who the manager will be is as important as how soon he will be in place.  I can see us chasing after a few managers most of the summer then taking whoever we can get a week before the start of the season.  We need a new management team (or Smith and co) given the job within the next week or 2 at the latest.  Get rid of the dead wood, set short deadlines to match our valuation for those that want to go otherwise they go nowhere.  We need to know ASAP as we potentially need to bring in 7 or 8 new players.  Full pre season together as a unit and then go for it.  Unfortunately can see us dithering and half the team not even remembering the other half's names come kick off and the same sort of farce where we ended up screwed like when fofana left at the last minute.  It needs sorted early as we have no idea what transfer/wage budget we have at present and the longer that continues the worse our situation gets imo.

5 hours ago, ClaphamFox said:

Why would you take Steven Gerrard? 

He is not the worst shout at all….he struggled at Villa but was a success at Rangers …..he has a point to prove, can relate to modern players, good coach in Gary Mac, won’t mess with ego, been there and done it as a player…….not saying he would be top,of my list just giving some balance ……

5 hours ago, Rigga said:

What Emery has done at villa with the same crop of players has shows what a fraud gerrard is as a manager 

I think that is very harsh ——Emery is probably one of the best managers in Europe 

22 minutes ago, Old Fox said:

He is not the worst shout at all….he struggled at Villa but was a success at Rangers …..he has a point to prove, can relate to modern players, good coach in Gary Mac, won’t mess with ego, been there and done it as a player…….not saying he would be top,of my list just giving some balance ……

Gerrard took Villa backwards after Smith. Emery immediately improved them after Gerrard left. We may as well keep Smith.

55 minutes ago, urban.spaceman said:

Ideal is absolutely the perfect word for BOTH parties. We are a clean slate and he would have absolutely zero pressure coming here. World-class training facilities and a practically empty squad to build from scratch. Top and Suze should be fighting tooth and nail to sell the club to him.

He's a progressive manager who would be walking around Seagrave nursing a semi.

But only if we were still a Premier League side.

Best we move on.