Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

4 hours ago, themightyfin said:

No rumors,  no links,  nothing?

So quiet thought there would have been some sort of statement thanking Smith and Co for their efforts or something. 

Surely even our board know the importance of sorting this quickly. 

Makes me wonder whether this meeting has even happened yet. 

11 hours ago, lcfc80 said:

As someone else has mentioned, Emery is an elite level coach with 20 years of proven decent track level 

And Gerrard is a shit level coach with a handful years of experience, and that is why if we have any intention to return to the prem we shouldn't be anywhere near him

The only possible positive of hiring Gerrard would be that we would be odds on to win league 1 in 24/25

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, studentofthegame said:

And Gerrard is a shit level coach with a handful years of experience, and that is why if we have any intention to return to the prem we shouldn't be anywhere near him

The only possible positive of hiring Gerrard would be that we would be odds on to win league 1 in 24/25

Seriously, what is it that Gerrard did at Rangers and Villa that showed him up to be a shit level coach?

4 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Seriously, what is it that Gerrard did at Rangers and Villa that showed him up to be a shit level coach?

He literally had Villa in a relegation battle in the same season that they finished 7th

Emery 1.96 ppg, Gerrard 0.8ppg
Emery 1.6 goals per game, Gerrard 0.6(!!!) goals per game
Emery 1 goal conceded per game, Gerrard 1.5 goals conceded per game

If you want Gerrard so badly then just hire Michael Beale instead

Gerrard at Villa with Beale compared to without him is in insane drop off, 1.3 ppg down to 0.8, 1.41 goals per game down to 0.6, 1.26 conceded per game up to 1.5. That is after spending the best part of 70 million on new players too.

If you want to bring up his time at Rangers (that Beale was there for anyway) then since Beale went back to Rangers as manager they have a nearly 80% win rate, in Gerrards 3 full seasons there he only had more than that in one of them

He is incredibly overrated

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

Saints and Swansea still yet to agree compensation over Russell Martin….

Yeah, I imagine a team would want to be well-compensated for taking him off their hands.

4 minutes ago, studentofthegame said:

He literally had Villa in a relegation battle in the same season that they finished 7th

Emery 1.96 ppg, Gerrard 0.8ppg
Emery 1.6 goals per game, Gerrard 0.6(!!!) goals per game
Emery 1 goal conceded per game, Gerrard 1.5 goals conceded per game

If you want Gerrard so badly then just hire Michael Beale instead

Gerrard at Villa with Beale compared to without him is in insane drop off, 1.3 ppg down to 0.8, 1.41 goals per game down to 0.6, 1.26 conceded per game up to 1.5. That is after spending the best part of 70 million on new players too.

If you want to bring up his time at Rangers (that Beale was there for anyway) then since Beale went back to Rangers as manager they have a nearly 80% win rate, in Gerrards 3 full seasons there he only had more than that in one of them

He is incredibly overrated

Okay nice assumption that I want Gerrard so badly. Who actually rates him highly to be overrated? It's not like he gets strongly linked to huge jobs is it? Or any jobs really.

Another point, you're comparing Gerrard to one of the better managers in Europe, so you're doing Emery a disservice there. And without totally understanding your point on Rangers and win percentages, let's give Beale another 150+ games before we compare his win rate to Gerrard aye? He's played 29 FFS. His win percentage in nearly 200 games is 65%, pretty high for somebody so shit. 

(In b4 the "my nan could have a win percentage higher than Gerrard's in that pub league" comments)

21 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Okay nice assumption that I want Gerrard so badly. Who actually rates him highly to be overrated? It's not like he gets strongly linked to huge jobs is it? Or any jobs really.

Another point, you're comparing Gerrard to one of the better managers in Europe, so you're doing Emery a disservice there. And without totally understanding your point on Rangers and win percentages, let's give Beale another 150+ games before we compare his win rate to Gerrard aye? He's played 29 FFS. His win percentage in nearly 200 games is 65%, pretty high for somebody so shit. 

(In b4 the "my nan could have a win percentage higher than Gerrard's in that pub league" comments)

Anybody that considers him worth hiring is overrating him

You know Emery being very good and Gerrard being very bad aren't mutually exclusive right? 

That Villa side is a mid table quality side, Emery had them playing like a legit top 4 contender, Gerrard had them playing like relegation fodder. 

What exactly do you see in him that makes you consider him a suitable solution to our problems?

• Like 1

Looks like Iraola is definitely leaving Rayo.  Strongly suspect he wanted to take the Leeds job in February and they blocked him, and that soured the milk.  Don’t know if he’d be up for a Championship job but if he is and doesn’t wind up at Leeds, he’d be a very solid choice for us.

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, studentofthegame said:

Anybody that considers him worth hiring is overrating him

You know Emery being very good and Gerrard being very bad aren't mutually exclusive right? 

That Villa side is a mid table quality side, Emery had them playing like a legit top 4 contender, Gerrard had them playing like relegation fodder. 

What exactly do you see in him that makes you consider him a suitable solution to our problems?

Please will you learn to read? Again, I'm not saying he's a solution to our problems. I'm simply pointing out that your rather blunt summary of him being a shit manager based on him not doing much at Villa but doing a very good job at Rangers is massively exaggerated, to say the least. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SK3Blue said:

I still reckon Smith will be given the job.

The longer the radio silence continues, the more likely it is.

We're a shambles.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tuna said:

We're a shambles.

Honestly don’t see Smith being appointed as shambolic. Would I prefer us to go a different direction? Yes. But he didn’t do a bad job here. 

Going into any work place and expecting an employee to have all the answers within 2 weeks of starting, as well as picking up the confidence of your employees, trying to put your own stamp on things for everyone to work towards and finally trying to get the most out of employees that do not want to be at the company anymore. On top of that, the amount of injuries we had to key players and lack of depth in specific areas.

It’s just not going to happen. You are setting yourself up to fail, if you expect all of that in such a short space of time. I massively respect the balls it took DS to take the job. He knew it was a huge job and was willing to have yet another relegation on his CV in an attempt to save us. Most importantly he was honest in assessment throughout, something we was all in desperate need for.

I do believe if we got DS 3/4 weeks earlier, we would of been safe. But that’s hindsight. Ultimately long story short, DS is not as bad of a choice as people make out. As hard of a pill it is to swallow, we are now a championship side and for me DS is a very good championship manager.

I feel DS has harshly become bit of a scapegoat for some. We’ve been informed also that regardless of who’s in charge, Glover is going to be the man overseeing the whole rebuild. 

Edited by Bluearmyfox28
  • Like 3

6 hours ago, Tuna said:

Please stop posting Warnock, it's just silly.

I don’t think we are in a position for snobbery, hes probably the best manager of that division and I’d definitely take him to get the job done by any means.

4 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

I don’t think we are in a position for snobbery, hes probably the best manager of that division and I’d definitely take him to get the job done by any means.

I’d take Warnock solely for the fact his name is an anagram of Colin willy puller. 

2 hours ago, elvisfmcfly said:

He was interviewed on the radio after he kept Huddersfield up and emphatically ruled out taking on another full-time managerial role, saying he’s too old and doesn’t have the stamina for it. So this is a pretty academic discussion. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Deeg67 said:

Smith doesn’t strike me as a Glover kind of manager.

What do you mean? As in he won't work in a set up where players are bought for him? That's exactly what was done at Brentford and Norwich.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Ric Flair said:

What do you mean? As in he won't work in a set up where players are bought for him? That's exactly what was done at Brentford and Norwich.

Glover just strikes me as a guy who’d want to build around a manager who was younger and more inventive.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

We're a shambles.

The club have tightened on any media leaks in the last few months. To the point where even the team sheets hadn’t been successfully leaked until just before announcement. I wouldn’t get too disheartened just yet, but time is running out given we’re less than 3 months until the season starts. 

1 minute ago, shiv said:

The club have tightened on any media leaks in the last few months. To the point where even the team sheets hadn’t been successfully leaked until just before announcement. I wouldn’t get too disheartened just yet, but time is running out given we’re less than 3 months until the season starts. 

Wasn’t Sundays team leaked on Saturday ? 

7 hours ago, Tuna said:

We're a shambles.

Don’t see it as a shambles at all, unless you think potter or ruud are coming here. Would take the full Dean team right now if it meant we could get straight to other matters and not mess around for weeks. This rebuild needs an experienced head and he has the track record.