Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

It’ll be Dean if there’s no noise about anyone else surely? Must be only reason it’s so quiet. Can’t imagine he’ll want a fortune and will most likely accept the players at his disposal given to him by Glover, so probably makes sense 

• Like 1

When Gerrard was at Rangers he was just fronting Beale's work same when Gerrard first arrived at Villa, they started off well. Soon as Beale departed Villa to head over to QPR, Villa went into a decline... Gerrard and Lampard are exactly the same, great players not good managers. Live off the back of what they won as a player. 

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, lcfc sheff said:

It’ll be Dean if there’s no noise about anyone else surely? Must be only reason it’s so quiet. Can’t imagine he’ll want a fortune and will most likely accept the players at his disposal given to him by Glover, so probably makes sense 

Please no.

• Like 1

May as well give it Smith though now, he knows who’s going and what we need,Shakespeare and Terry are a bonus, I think if he was given a few games longer he’d have kept us up, Letting that Sadler muppet in for 2 games was criminal, should have kept Rodgers till the replacement was ready to go.

Edited by elvisfmcfly
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, elvisfmcfly said:

May as well give it Smith though now, he knows who’s going and what we need,Shakespeare and Terry are a bonus, I think if he was given a few games longer he’d have kept us up, Letting that Sadler muppet in for 2 games was criminal, should have kept Rodgers till the replacement was ready to go.

Smith said he thought we would get a point at Fulham. He shouldn't get the job for that alone.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Outfox the Fox said:

I think completely the opposite. The longer the silence, the less likely Smith will be in - if Top wanted him, he'd be appointed straight away. The fact that there's no announcement, makes me think the club are seriously weighing up the options and considering other candidates.

This is the sensible take.

I like Smith, but ultimately he’s the man that couldn’t quite keep us up and who failed with Norwich in a similar situation. We are at a point where we need a refresh and the building blocks of new era. Smith doesn’t fit that bill.

He’s the easy option, but there are plenty more fish in the sea.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Ricey said:

I like Smith, but ultimately he’s the man that couldn’t quite keep us up and who failed with Norwich in a similar situation. We are at a point where we need a refresh and the building blocks of new era. Smith doesn’t fit that bill.

He’s the easy option, but there are plenty more fish in the sea.

Only, he does. It’s when he’s been his most successful (Villa and Brentford). 

Brian Priske. Just won Sparta Prague's first top division title for almost a decade in his first season at the club. Previously with Antwerp (4th) and Midtjylland (1st and 2nd). Not gonna pretend I know anything about him, I'm just aware of his latest achievement as I spent 30+ years managing Sparta on FM so naturally I look out for them. That's my Ric Flair suggestion

• Like 4

It cannot be Smith - bloody useless - the fact we won on Sunday makes no difference to that -he took us down - that’s just a minging start - our build up play and tactics have been horrendous under him - no game plans at all - if anyone is serious about smith we may as well go back to Pearson - he is a much better version of smith - there are probably 10 others I’d rather have than smith- couldn’t be anymore of a no from me 

• Like 1

Guest lcfc80
2 hours ago, shiv said:

The club have tightened on any media leaks in the last few months. To the point where even the team sheets hadn’t been successfully leaked until just before announcement. I wouldn’t get too disheartened just yet, but time is running out given we’re less than 3 months until the season starts. 

I wouldn't bank on that, I was still seeing those hours before I should, including Sunday's

1 hour ago, ClaphamFox said:

This is the sensible take.

I agree.

If they wanted Smith and he wanted to stay, the 'negotiations' would have been completed within 24 hours.

More of a concern is the fact that, unlike Southampton and Leeds, no announcement had been made to say he definitely won't be here which leaves everyone in limbo.

24 minutes ago, jv1 said:

It cannot be Smith - bloody useless - the fact we won on Sunday makes no difference to that -he took us down - that’s just a minging start - our build up play and tactics have been horrendous under him - no game plans at all - if anyone is serious about smith we may as well go back to Pearson - he is a much better version of smith - there are probably 10 others I’d rather have than smith- couldn’t be anymore of a no from me 

I mean - wow. 'Needed to do better' and 'bloody useless' are 2 very different things. For someone who took over a rock bottom team (filled with players running contracts down who couldn't wait to get out) who had scored 1 point in the previous 8 games (including horror performances against Southampton, Bournemouth and Palace), he actually got a tune out of them. He needed to get top 10 form out of them and very nearly did it. There is a reason why someone has never taken over a team so late and kept them in the PL. Its an almost impossible job.

And to be completely pedantic, Smith didn't take us down, Rodgers (and the board) did. Smith hit form that would have kept us unspectacular, but safe. 

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 2

Easiest way to facilitate a media blackout is to do nothing at all, which is what i'm a little concerned is happening right now.

I agree, if it was going to be Smith i think it would have been announced quickly. My only thinking is the coaching staff side might be an issue and Terry doesn't fancy it. If either Shakey or Terry aren't in, then i think Smith has to be a no as i don't think he will be good enough on his own, especially alongside Sadler and Stowell. 

2 hours ago, lcfc sheff said:

Not always the case. Potter is still bookies favourite, however unlikely it may seem to us the club might be speaking with him in an attempt to convince him to come. And any news would probably be a rehash of old news. I think it will come out of the blue. Percy is likely to post something about it in the coming week or so. 

Smith will be on the list I am sure if they can’t get their main target. So it probably explains the silence. Plus if you think about it, if they are looking at a slightly higher profile of manager, they won’t want it getting out incase someone else from the PL steps in to take them. 

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, ROB-THE-BLUE said:

Would we be able to convince Moyes if West Ham bin him off?

No.

If he does get binned, and I think winning the UECL would save him, he'd definitely get a Premier League job once someone like Forest/Wolves/Palace part company with their manager.

• Like 1