Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

58 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

I mean - wow. 'Needed to do better' and 'bloody useless' are 2 very different things. For someone who took over a rock bottom team (filled with players running contracts down who couldn't wait to get out) who had scored 1 point in the previous 8 games (including horror performances against Southampton, Bournemouth and Palace), he actually got a tune out of them. He needed to get top 10 form out of them and very nearly did it. There is a reason why someone has never taken over a team so late and kept them in the PL. Its an almost impossible job.

And to be completely pedantic, Smith didn't take us down, Rodgers (and the board) did. Smith hit form that would have kept us unspectacular, but safe. 

Don’t disagree with some of that - I’m not blaming smith - it was all Rodger’s and these pathetic excuse for international players we have - add the board and senior execs in also and it’s a massive cluster **** - I just don’t buy smith at all - most of those games he took charge for were absolutely horrible - wolves gets a gloss because we nicked it - we didn’t ply well - Fulham was beyond belief - Newcastle was well I’m not even sure what it was - Leeds and Everton were the games and he persisted with blooming soumare and tielemans in midfield - I can’t have the bloke after that - I think plenty of other people would have kept us up with a lot better tactical nous than smith 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

On 30/05/2023 at 20:38, Bilo said:

I think we might be surprised by how much we can offer a manager.

Part of going down with the most expensively assembled squad ever is the fact that our transfer incomings should be enormous compared to everyone else, including Leeds and Southampton. Getting a lot of dead wages off the books too. 

If someone really wants to get into English football, we could be an intriguing project as we'll have financial muscle to terrify some other clubs.

Rotherham will be shaking in their boots I'm sure. 

33 minutes ago, jv1 said:

Don’t disagree with some of that - I’m not blaming smith - it was all Rodger’s and these pathetic excuse for international players we have - add the board and senior execs in also and it’s a massive cluster **** - I just don’t buy smith at all - most of those games he took charge for were absolutely horrible - wolves gets a gloss because we nicked it - we didn’t ply well - Fulham was beyond belief - Newcastle was well I’m not even sure what it was - Leeds and Everton were the games and he persisted with blooming soumare and tielemans in midfield - I can’t have the bloke after that - I think plenty of other people would have kept us up with a lot better tactical nous than smith 

I 100% agree that Smith doesn't have the best tactical brain in the game, although i would argue that Newcastle was actually the most interesting tactical setup he put out and it very nearly paid off. Im a firm believer that trying to match Newcastle at the time would have been a disaster. 

Might be wrong, but i don't think we need the best tactical brain to get out of the Championship.  I think we need to deal with this transition well, be organised, hang on the the best / appropriate assets we have, utilise and nurture the right academy players, attack the loan market well and condition everyone properly. 

Part of me thinks the worst thing we can do now is go for a Brendan Mk2 (aka Potter) and pay too big a salary and hand over too much power again.

Edited by Chelmofox
  • Like 3

7 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Patrick Viera was mentioned by @Sambiasso on the shortlist.

If we could get him or Rafa l think that’s our best options.

For some reason Viera is really unpopular. He had that stinky (but tough) spell at Palace but he is a proven builder and helped recruit really well.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I find the list of usual suspects really depressing, including Vieira, Lampard and Gerrard. I wouldn't be opposed to Smith and Co continuing if we can't find a better alternative. At least they know who's likely to stay, and they know the set up, so could hit the ground running. However, I think we should try something radical like Burnley did, and approach Van Nistelrooy. Obviously unlikely to take the job now that we're relegated, but if you don't ask, you'll never know. After all, he can only say no. 

It might be a gamble, and may not be popular with a certain player, but I'd like to see us make an approach to Cambiasso .

Guest lcfc80
1 hour ago, LaCiudad said:

Do we actually currently have a manager or not?

Don't matter does it? All the players are sat on beaches right now

47 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Will be making myself a refreshing glass of squash if we get Vieira in but instead of squash I'll use Toilet Duck

I think you are going to be very disappointed. But toilet fresh......

Edited by Chelmofox

Guest lcfc80
26 minutes ago, Happy Fox said:

Patrick Viera was mentioned by @Sambiasso on the shortlist.

If we could get him or Rafa l think that’s our best options.

Is that a poster worth listening to? got decent info? only asking as never really come on here 

12 hours ago, Stinky said:

Please will you learn to read? Again, I'm not saying he's a solution to our problems. I'm simply pointing out that your rather blunt summary of him being a shit manager based on him not doing much at Villa but doing a very good job at Rangers is massively exaggerated, to say the least. 

Sorry, can't respond to this due to my inability to read

• Haha 1

30 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah he's emerged as a legit ITK over the past season and doesn't post cryptic clues where you have to meet a goblin under a bridge and cross his palms with silver for some elaboration either.

I mean if people were meeting Rodgers under a bridge and paying him to get information that explains why we were so slow to act on anything this year

• Haha 1

34 minutes ago, Miquel The Work Geordie said:

Yeah he's emerged as a legit ITK over the past season and doesn't post cryptic clues where you have to meet a goblin under a bridge and cross his palms with silver for some elaboration either.

3 minutes ago, The Doctor said:

I mean if people were meeting Rodgers under a bridge and paying him to get information that explains why we were so slow to act on anything this year

?imw=5000&imh=5000&ima=fit&impolicy=Lett

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

I 100% agree that Smith doesn't have the best tactical brain in the game, although i would argue that Newcastle was actually the most interesting tactical setup he put out and it very nearly paid off. Im a firm believer that trying to match Newcastle at the time would have been a disaster. 

Might be wrong, but i don't think we need the best tactical brain to get out of the Championship.  I think we need to deal with this transition well, be organised, hang on the the best / appropriate assets we have, utilise and nurture the right academy players, attack the loan market well and condition everyone properly. 

Part of me thinks the worst thing we can do now is go for a Brendan Mk2 (aka Potter) and pay too big a salary and hand over too much power again.

Agree completely we would have been battered at Newcastle if we went for it - it was horrible to watch but probably only way we ever got a point - even though a point wasn’t enough 

your next bit is bang on btw of what we need to do next I just think we can do better than smith to do those things well - he had a disaster at norwich with no style of play - they became horrible to watch and didn’t get the results either 

We do need someone asap- this next 10 weeks is so important- we need someone doing things now 

1 hour ago, Chelmofox said:

For some reason Viera is really unpopular. He had that stinky (but tough) spell at Palace but he is a proven builder and helped recruit really well.

I think we could do a lot worse than viera- definitely knows a player and actually did ok at palace before it went a bit wrong- in the championship with the right resources he would do well im sure - out of a job as well - has to be on the list to speak to quickly - we need to realise where we now are - back at that level with loads of teams that are arguably as big if not bigger clubs than us - i think it’s still a great job for someone who wants the project that we now are with half the squad leaving 

Edited by jv1

Player fitness is going to be key, especially with us playing so many more games. I don't want to see our bunch blowing our of their asses after 60 minutes whilst everyone else seems to look 10 years younger.

55 minutes ago, Sambiasso said:

I just relay the stuff I'm told, don't post some bits I hear though. 

Can't be doing with the cryptic BS that some post, even people who know things get it wrong and football can change within hours when it comes to transfers/managers etc. 

I've no updates from my previous posts before anyone asks.

Think we could be interested in Coady now he's returned from Everton club had tracked him before. 

Getting Coady in would be a fantastic start to the window. Always really rated him and he'd be my shout for captain immediately. 

• Like 1