Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

2 minutes ago, GingerrrFox said:

I’ve not heard anything other than the club were looking for “younger managers with fresh ideas”

That sounds promising in itself let’s hope if that is the case then Managers such as McKenna, Schumacher, Wellens, Duff and JDT etc are being considered. 

• Like 1

Just now, Claudio Fannieri said:

That sounds promising in itself let’s hope if that is the case then Managers such as McKenna, Schumacher, Wellens, Duff and JDT etc are being considered. 

Probably rules out Knutsen as he's in his fifties.

Definitely rules in Jaissle though.

19 minutes ago, oz was my hero said:

You say that but we picked up 9 points from 8 games icluding Newcastle  and Liverpool with a team that was dead and buried. Still think if he came in before villa and Bournemouth  we would have stayed up. Think it's harsh on him to say he made no difference.  Really was a poisoned challis. 

He didn't though really. Don't get me wrong if he was appointed I wouldn't be horrified by it but I would be seriously underwhelmed. Also, if our training ground is meant to attract top players then the same could be said for managers. In no way am I saying Pep should want the job but again if Dean Smith is our first choice then it's so uninspiring. 

9 minutes ago, Stinky said:

He didn't though really. Don't get me wrong if he was appointed I wouldn't be horrified by it but I would be seriously underwhelmed. Also, if our training ground is meant to attract top players then the same could be said for managers. In no way am I saying Pep should want the job but again if Dean Smith is our first choice then it's so uninspiring. 

I struggle to see where we get a top manager with the mess we're in. Yes we have a nice training ground, but only half a squad to train there. Who knows what our transfer situation is ? I just have a feeling this season will be a hard slog where average players will need to fight for every point and be extremely  fit. That's one thing I think Smith would ensure.

18 minutes ago, Stinky said:

I think we need to get this idea of the training ground being this massive pull for players or managers.

Anything that set Leicester apart from the rest of the Championship still sets us apart now, regardless of the training ground. 

Where it will make a difference long term is youth players, but we've given Forest the chance to close the gap massively unless we go straight back up.

2 minutes ago, winteriscoming said:

Big Sam now available…….

I’d not considered Big Sam. Whilst I’d prefer a young manager playing fresh attacking football, Sam wouldn’t be a bad shout to achieve the objectives of the club - get promoted and stay there. 

1 minute ago, oz was my hero said:

I struggle to see where we get a top manager with the mess we're in. Yes we have a nice training ground, but only half a squad to train there. Who knows what our transfer situation is ? I just have a feeling this season will be a hard slog where average players will need to fight for every point and be extremely  fit. That's one thing I think Smith would ensure.

Well I don't see why our transfer situation will be that we can't bring any players in? I think you're painting a much worse picture than what will be, and that less players will leave than what most fans think, not including obvious ones like Maddison. We will still be able to attract decent players, sure we won't be spending 15/20m on the Daka's and Soumare's of the world, so we'll have to shop around in places like where Kristiansen came from and the EFL. 

As for a manager with the mess we're in, on the flip side its an opportunity for a manager to come in and make it his side more or less from day one, and not have to fanny about waiting years to get deadwood off the books. Unfashionable Burnley had a big turnover of players last season with a relatively untested manager taken from a club much bigger than they are, and walked it. That's the sort of thing I'd like us to do, instead of go for what a few years ago would have been seen as the boringly safe Mark Hughes/Alan Pardew/Sam Allardyce appointment. 

If we're are going to fanny around this summer we will be ****ed.

I'd rather the club just admit we are in the shit and do what we need to do.

If needs be keep Smith and Co, give a 2 year deal with potential extension upon Premier League survival and associated pay increases. All pay deals need to be performance based. Just get shit done.

I can see the usual shitshow where Rudkin farts around until late July. Useless ****, get him out!

1 minute ago, Gamble92 said:

I think we need to get this idea of the training ground being this massive pull for players or managers.

Anything that set Leicester apart from the rest of the Championship still sets us apart now, regardless of the training ground. 

Where it will make a difference long term is youth players, but we've given Forest the chance to close the gap massively unless we go straight back up.

I think it can be something of a pull to get players/managers on board but as we've seen with Fofana (and Tielemans/Maddison has this season gone normally) it's not a big enough pull for players to stay here when bigger clubs come calling. 

I do agree though, a new signing isn't going to choose us over a PL side because we have a nice training ground 

• Like 1

Just now, Devonfox1884 said:

I’m a broken record at this point but Duff is the man and no one can convince me otherwise. He’s a younger Pearson who I believe is a bit more tactically astute, he’s been successful at both clubs he’s managed so far and has had both sets of fans completely onside.

I spent 3 years at uni in Cheltenham and watched town a lot whilst he was in charge. He had next to no money and a fanbase who were used to yo-yoing between the NL and league 2. Within a season he completely changed their style of play to a fluid 3-5-2 and, according to a few fans I spoke to, had them playing the most “attacking and exciting” football they had ever seen at the club. He got them into the L2 playoffs in his first season, and promoted as champions the next. He consolidated them in the lower mid-table in L1 (the highest they’d been in their history) before moving on to Barnsley last summer. He was very unfortunate to lose the play off final with them last weekend.

It just makes so much sense and I would find it an exciting appointment. He will be a premier league manager eventually, let’s make it with us.

You've convinced me. 

Gerrrrrimin

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

I’m a broken record at this point but Duff is the man and no one can convince me otherwise. He’s a younger Pearson who I believe is a bit more tactically astute, he’s been successful at both clubs he’s managed so far and has had both sets of fans completely onside.

I spent 3 years at uni in Cheltenham and watched town a lot whilst he was in charge. He had next to no money and a fanbase who were used to yo-yoing between the NL and league 2. Within a season he completely changed their style of play to a fluid 3-5-2 and, according to a few fans I spoke to, had them playing the most “attacking and exciting” football they had ever seen at the club. He got them into the L2 playoffs in his first season, and promoted as champions the next. He consolidated them in the lower mid-table in L1 (the highest they’d been in their history) before moving on to Barnsley last summer. He was very unfortunate to lose the play off final with them last weekend.

It just makes so much sense and I would find it an exciting appointment. He will be a premier league manager eventually, let’s make it with us.

My word what a post. #Duffin.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Sounds fantastic.

Attacking 3-5-2 with the players we're likely to have left would utterly brutalise most teams in this league, but only if we get the midfield recruitment right.

Not sure our board go for him as they're likely to turn their nose up at someone whose CV reads Cheltenham and Barnsley. 

8 minutes ago, Devonfox1884 said:

Yeah but he lost to Port Vale in the Paint Pot trophy. We're looking for the perfect manager here, sorry #DuffOut

9 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Sounds fantastic.

Attacking 3-5-2 with the players we're likely to have left would utterly brutalise most teams in this league, but only if we get the midfield recruitment right.

Not sure our board go for him as they're likely to turn their nose up at someone whose CV reads Cheltenham and Barnsley. 

This is the issue, as is the fact that Duff is a very smart man.

What I mean by that is he supposedly had many offers from other clubs during his time with Cheltenham but turned them down as he wanted to take them as far as he could to raise his stock further. As it turned out, with a lack of money to spend, that was mid table in league 1. I suspect that we’d have to really sell the club to him in order to convince him to leave his project at Barnsley after a season. If he stays there I would highly recommend a few ££ (if you’re that way inclined) on them to be promoted next season. Perhaps the salary we could offer him compared to Barnsley could play a part.

I think his first signing would be Jacob Greaves from Hull - he loved him when he was on loan at Cheltenham and talked him up as a future PL defender. He was brilliant on the left of a back 3.

Edited by Devonfox1884
  • Like 3