Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Just now, Devonfox1884 said:

This is the issue, as is the fact that Duff is a very smart man.

What I mean by that is he supposedly had many offers from other clubs during his time with Cheltenham but turned them down as he wanted to take them as far as he could. As it turned out, with a lack of money to spend, that was mid table in league 1. I suspect that we’d have to really sell the club to him in order to convince him to leave his project at Barnsley after a season. If he stays there I would highly recommend a few ££ (if you’re that way inclined) on them to be promoted next season. Perhaps the salary we could offer him compared to Barnsley could play a part.

I think his first signing would be Jacob Greaves from Hull - he loved him when he was on loan at Cheltenham and talked him up as a future PL defender. He was brilliant on the left of a back 3.

I think the club would be an easy sell if he wanted a project.

Largely blank slate, especially in midfield, but with enough players of the right quality left to build a baseline. Big money coming in through the transfer market. The best training facilities outside of the Big Six. Owners who have a history of being patient to a fault. Surely a huge pay rise from what he's on at Oakwell. Big chance to not only manage in the Premier League, but to win promotion to it with a team he's built.

• Like 1

Just now, The Doctor said:

I'd sooner shove fire ants up my urethra than appoint Tesco value brand Brendan Rodgers 

Put you down as a maybe? 

Seriously though if Southampton appoint him, it makes me a bit more confident about our chances.

1 minute ago, Bilo said:

I think the club would be an easy sell if he wanted a project.

Largely blank slate, especially in midfield, but with enough players of the right quality left to build a baseline. Big money coming in through the transfer market. The best training facilities outside of the Big Six. Owners who have a history of being patient to a fault. Surely a huge pay rise from what he's on at Oakwell. Big chance to not only manage in the Premier League, but to win promotion to it with a team he's built.

You’d hope so! I like the idea of not having to sign wingers for his 3-5-2, we’ve really struggled to recruit in that department and Albrighton could stay for the season as a backup at RWB. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Well I don't see why our transfer situation will be that we can't bring any players in? I think you're painting a much worse picture than what will be, and that less players will leave than what most fans think, not including obvious ones like Maddison. We will still be able to attract decent players, sure we won't be spending 15/20m on the Daka's and Soumare's of the world, so we'll have to shop around in places like where Kristiansen came from and the EFL. 

As for a manager with the mess we're in, on the flip side its an opportunity for a manager to come in and make it his side more or less from day one, and not have to fanny about waiting years to get deadwood off the books. Unfashionable Burnley had a big turnover of players last season with a relatively untested manager taken from a club much bigger than they are, and walked it. That's the sort of thing I'd like us to do, instead of go for what a few years ago would have been seen as the boringly safe Mark Hughes/Alan Pardew/Sam Allardyce appointment. 

I really hope you are right. I hope that this relegation has been one massive wake up call to top and the board. Unfortunately  the circus behind the scenes doesn't fill me with much hope. Pray  that I'm  the one with egg on my face next may and it all goes well.

I doubt Phil Neville will get anywhere near a premier league or championship. His CV is terrible, best thing he did was quitting as England Ladies coach. Never should have got it and was never good enough. Perhaps end up managing Salford City a few months down the line.  

• Like 3

The thing that goes in our advantage I suppose, for all I've bemoaned the comments about how we'll piss the league (the same way I spent a year getting told we couldn't go down) is that our situation is perceived from outsiders to be better than it really is, which should widen the pool of managers we could actually go for.

I stand by they will piss around for a fortnight and end up just appointing Smith after the initial bout of failing to get anything done.

• Like 1

Big Sam ain't coming so near if we wanted to manage in the championship he would have stuck around with Leeds. He sees himself as quick fix manager, who goes in towards the end of the season to keep a club up and earn mega bonus from while picking up a huge wage, no doubt Leeds spent millions on him even for that short time. But now he's got a damaged reputation now... two relegations in his last two jobs..

Edited by Leicesterpool

19 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Fosse Hub on Twitter are saying Tanner has said whoever the manager will be will have the biggest budget in the league. 

Edit to say, not sure where he’s supposedly said it. 

In his season review article

“The next manager will probably have the largest budget in the Championship and, after the free-agent departures and player sales, there will be money to spend.”

• Thanks 1

Just now, moore_94 said:

In his season review article

“The next manager will probably have the largest budget in the Championship and, after the free-agent departures and player sales, there will be money to spend.”

We had the biggest budget in 2011, but still didn't get promoted until 2014. Means nothing unless you get the right players and the right manager.

• Like 4

51 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

If we're are going to fanny around this summer we will be ****ed.

I'd rather the club just admit we are in the shit and do what we need to do.

If needs be keep Smith and Co, give a 2 year deal with potential extension upon Premier League survival and associated pay increases. All pay deals need to be performance based. Just get shit done.

I can see the usual shitshow where Rudkin farts around until late July. Useless ****, get him out!

Keeping Smith would be extremely underwhelming. It would lack ambition and not bring any fans back on side. Fingers crossed the club are actually looking intensely and not just going with the easy, default option.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, Ginger_Filbert said:

Fosse Hub on Twitter are saying Tanner has said whoever the manager will be will have the biggest budget in the league. 

Edit to say, not sure where he’s supposedly said it. 

This is pretty much common sense. We have premier league payments and have incredibly rich owners by championship standards. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lionator said:

This is pretty much common sense. We have premier league payments and have incredibly rich owners by championship standards. 

And probably close to £100m to come in through transfer fees as well as a huge clear out of wages.

17 hours ago, Stinky said:

I'd be concerned if Smith was on our shortlist if he hadn't joined us for the end of the season. Now he's had a bit of time here I'd be even more concerned, didn't really have much of an impact did he

Think that is incredibly harsh on Smith. He picked up an utter basket case that had forgotten how to win and with some horrible fixtures to come.If he had been appointed in the international break before the Palace match I am convinced we would have stayed up.

• Like 3

Us having money to spend fills me with no more confidence than us with no money to spend.

I want Ange bad now, primarily because he loves attacking football, also imagine the rage from Celtic fans if we took their manager whilst in the second tier.