Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

Just now, Ian S said:

Think that is incredibly harsh on Smith. He picked up an utter basket case that had forgotten how to win and with some horrible fixtures to come.If he had been appointed in the international break before the Palace match I am convinced we would have stayed up.

Agree, it was very fine margins and I'm sure if he had a couple of games more, he'd have kept us up especially when you look at analysis like expected goals. My major disappointment was the abject defensive performance vs Fulham but he was dealt a bad hand as we simply didn't have a consistently strong goalkeeper.

Iversen will improve and become more consistent but if we'd had a player like Navas or Pickford in goal, would have been so different for us. 

2 minutes ago, lcfc_forever said:

Agree, it was very fine margins and I'm sure if he had a couple of games more, he'd have kept us up especially when you look at analysis like expected goals. My major disappointment was the abject defensive performance vs Fulham but he was dealt a bad hand as we simply didn't have a consistently strong goalkeeper.

Iversen will improve and become more consistent but if we'd had a player like Navas or Pickford in goal, would have been so different for us. 

Something went horribly wrong at the Fulham game. The whole team looked out of sorts and Smith called them up for training the next day. I would love to know what happened but have a horrible feeling some player power crept in. For an entire club out of sorts, with nasty cliques with the Belgian players and Madders crew, I'm not blaming Smith for this. I blame the players. Its clear to me that by Newcastle when he dropped Madders and Barnes, things looked more organised in the camp.

Little point blaming the lack of Navas on Smith!!!!!

I personally think Smith has a much bigger impact than many give him credit for. There seem to be many that still think we should have been performing as a top 8 side but we were a million miles from it. He actually got a reaction and towards the end didn't panic. His game plan for Newcastle was bang on, and you could see him screaming at the team to attack more towards the end. Newcastle did start to panic and backed right off.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Ian S said:

Think that is incredibly harsh on Smith. He picked up an utter basket case that had forgotten how to win and with some horrible fixtures to come.If he had been appointed in the international break before the Palace match I am convinced we would have stayed up.

Would you have wanted him to be offered the job permanently had he kept us up? It's not really as simple as giving him 3 hypothetical games extra and adding on 6/7pts to our final tally because other teams mindsets will have changed too, if they had fallen in to the relegation zone for example. We'd probably have lost at Newcastle having been able to play more free instead of playing for a draw at worst. 

Just feels to me we're entering an era in wider where new names (ex players) are coming in to coaching like Kompany, Tomasson and they're making a pretty good and instant impact, and we have more than enough potential and pull to be able to attract a manager like that. But I can't help but feel our boards vision is very limited in that it's looking much closer to home, where really there any many standout candidates. Someone with an identity to the way his teams play, Smith as I've said elsewhere is just underwhelming.

Edited by Stinky

35 minutes ago, KrefelderFox666 said:

Keeping Smith would be extremely underwhelming. It would lack ambition and not bring any fans back on side. Fingers crossed the club are actually looking intensely and not just going with the easy, default option.

Trouble is the majority of the other options come with unproven risks, some of the names we've been linked with aren't exactly inspiring.

My fear is the club piss around for 2 months snd then decide actually we can't afford or risk this and go for someone middle of tge road or past it like Rafa. 

If I genuinely thought they bring in a young inspiring manager capable of progressive attacking football, then great. I don't trust Rudkin, he acts like a man who has no clue, probably because he has no clue! Everything takes too long now at the club, you have to act decisively and quickly. 

10 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Alan Nixon has said we are going for Potter

Willing to throw big money at him

He is also in talks with Nice, as well as being linked with Palace but he isn’t their first choice if Hodgson does leave

What a coup if we could get him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

He is also in talks with Nice, as well as being linked with Palace but he isn’t their first choice if Hodgson does leave

Who's Alan Nixon?

3 hours ago, Stinky said:

Yeah I still don't understand why any of this means he's guaranteed to have done a worse job than O'Neil. He got sacked in the last week of August when the transfer window closes. Lost 9-0 at a side who is capable of inflicting that sort of result on most teams in this league, of course you'd look at that and think the squad needs investment sharpish. Did you think it was a good enough side to stay up at that point? Bournemouth did about as well as you'd expect in the first half of the season, lingering in and around the drop zone. Then after spending nearly x3 more in January than what Parker was given in the summer, they improve a fair bit. Funny that. 

And are you really using a drubbing at a much better side in Europe against him? lol

No I'm not. Possibly it's his whining all about me mentality like Rodgers. Plus he was piss poor in his last appointment also. Both Bournemouth and Brugge did significantly better after his departure. 

Whilst he did admittedly get Fulham promoted, he took them straight back down. 

So, looking at that record, what is it that you see there that is so inspiring or suggestive of being a good fit for Leicester City?

I can't believe in a million years that Potter would take the job - this time last year his stock as an English manager was as high as anybody, hence the approach from Chelsea. Hindsight tells us that he never stood a chance at Chelsea and his reputation has (unfairly) taken a blow.

His next step to restore that previous adulation is going to have to be a carefully taken decision, and taking over us with all of the outgoings, cutting of cloth, projected lack of funds to invest is going to make it a massively risky proposition to take on. Failure of any description with us, would throw him right down the football pyramid. 

I just can't see it, he'll have much more attractive and risk averse propositions. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Finnegan said:

A Sun hack who, last time we were told he genuinely is ITK, said that we were about to announce Noni Madueke. 

So we're better off listening to the old gammon down the pub?

Friend of mine who is good mates with a lot of non-league guys and very good mates with Leicester LEGENDS Peter Taylor and Steve Butler told me we have already re-approached Potter and been told to do one.

How PT would know anything about that is well beyond me, but whatever.

I mean this guy did tell me that Maidstone would get rid of old manager and put George Elokobi in charge if Maidstone continued to be terrible, and then they did, but I'm less inclined to believe this one. 

Thought I'd pass it on as its silly season.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

Put you down as a maybe? 

Seriously though if Southampton appoint him, it makes me a bit more confident about our chances.

100%, the fire ants is just a fun evening out. Which is probably why I'm not in the running for the job after Pearson and Hopper.

being serious though, his team's are defensively dogshit, would just be a continuation of the last season but with a championship manager and squad 

4 hours ago, Stopharage said:

I think Richie Wellens should get it. His Leyton Orient team were not only champions, but more importantly, had the lowest goals against per game in the football league. 

Has links with the club, was a decent grafting midfielder and should be a relatively easy get. Sign Kasper or get Michael Cooper from Plymouth. Coady from Wolves. Chair from QPR so we can continue making puns about his name until the heat-death of the universe. Stick Vardy in his cryo-chamber for the whole of pre-season. League wrapped up by February. 

I mean at least if he did get the job then we could actually blame Wellens.

Smith, with Shakespeare and Terry, has to be the most sensible choice. Results after he took over were a mixed bag, but represented a significant improvement in terms of where we were at with Rodgers. More importantly we have to get started sorting out the team and we don't have time to fvck around. 

He was fine. We aren't going to get Potter, who will be managing in the PL again by September, and who isn't that great anyway. If we go for someone else, it'll be Lampard or Gerard - I'd rather drink my own piss, frankly. 

13 minutes ago, Bilo said:

So we're better off listening to the old gammon down the pub?

I dont think Potter is out of reach if the club go and pitch the right project. 

There's only Palace recruiting now, right? Whilst I think that would be a good job for him with their current players, they aren't a club that are likely to spend a great deal to hugely reinforce. There's a bit of a glass ceiling there. 

Any other Premier League club he's going to have to wait til the start of the season, see who gets sacked, walk in and inherit an unhappy squad he had no say in building. 

Taking over a Championship club who are the favourites to be promoted, with a lot of Premier League players here already and the promise of a substantial rebuild in your image? It's not the worst idea imaginable. Especially if we're offering decent wages and he doesn't think he's going to get another Big Six job in the short term. 

But do I believe Nixon has any inside knowledge? Narh, you're better off listening to Big Barry down the pub. 

Edited by Finnegan
  • Like 3

40 minutes ago, moore_94 said:

Throw absolutely ****ing everything at him. Everything. All of the things.

28 minutes ago, volpeazzurro said:

No I'm not. Possibly it's his whining all about me mentality like Rodgers. Plus he was piss poor in his last appointment also. Both Bournemouth and Brugge did significantly better after his departure. 

Whilst he did admittedly get Fulham promoted, he took them straight back down. 

So, looking at that record, what is it that you see there that is so inspiring or suggestive of being a good fit for Leicester City?

How can you possibly say Bournemouth did significally better after his departure? lol Again you're just assuming they'd be rooted to the bottom of the table had he stayed. Guy took them up and then took 3pts from games against Villa, Man City, Arsenal and Liverpool. Brugge I can't comment on, I've no idea why they were hiring a manager anyway having won the Belgian title most seasons in recent years. Dunno if they'd started slowly and sacked their manager or if they had him pinched. 

As for Fulham, he couldn't keep a promoted side up. Hardly unheard of is it? Bloody crucify him. Whether he was involved in this I don't know but they had a major turnover in players that season, it wasnt a surprise they went back down. 

And as for your last paragraph, again you're assuming I'm putting him forward to be our new manager. I'm not. We could do a lot worse and could also do better. Irony is I'm seeing a lot of people say they don't want Parker and other managers who have a relegation from the PL to their name (unless we sack him after promotion, good one), but I see some heads are starting to turn in favour towards the guy that has been relegated in the last 2 seasons, even though he had very little to do with ours admittedly. 

Edited by Stinky

For Potter to go from Chelsea to a championship would make no sense for him. He’s going to be on the list of candidates of most PL jobs that become available next year. If we are going “all out” for him, you’d hope we have got some indication that he is willing to come. The thing is, with the other potential jobs available, Leicester seem like an easy touch to get the salary/offer from the better clubs.

I’m also not sure he is the right choice anyway. Potter is a good choice. He benefitted from having Ashworth at Brighton. We’d benefit more from the “manager type” to guide Top and Rudkin. 

24 minutes ago, Jabbaranks said:

I can't believe in a million years that Potter would take the job - this time last year his stock as an English manager was as high as anybody, hence the approach from Chelsea. Hindsight tells us that he never stood a chance at Chelsea and his reputation has (unfairly) taken a blow.

His next step to restore that previous adulation is going to have to be a carefully taken decision, and taking over us with all of the outgoings, cutting of cloth, projected lack of funds to invest is going to make it a massively risky proposition to take on. Failure of any description with us, would throw him right down the football pyramid. 

I just can't see it, he'll have much more attractive and risk averse propositions. 

I don’t think so….. prior to Brighton what did he actually achieve? 

Chelsea was a car crash, so really does his CV mean he can command a top job again? Nice would be a decent choice, however, if he came here he would have a change to completely rebuild his reputation….he/we get it right next season and he gets us up, he will be lauded much more than anywhere else.

People for a moment have got to just pit the relegation to one side for a moment…. We’re still a big club, and actually financially relegation could enable us to clean the slate and get going again. We’re a much better proposition to Leeds who are erratic. I think Potter would be wise to chosen us. In my opinion we’re the biggest club that’s ever been in this league now, so that counts for something.