Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

49 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

Something went horribly wrong at the Fulham game. The whole team looked out of sorts and Smith called them up for training the next day. I would love to know what happened but have a horrible feeling some player power crept in. For an entire club out of sorts, with nasty cliques with the Belgian players and Madders crew, I'm not blaming Smith for this. I blame the players. Its clear to me that by Newcastle when he dropped Madders and Barnes, things looked more organised in the camp.

Little point blaming the lack of Navas on Smith!!!!!

I personally think Smith has a much bigger impact than many give him credit for. There seem to be many that still think we should have been performing as a top 8 side but we were a million miles from it. He actually got a reaction and towards the end didn't panic. His game plan for Newcastle was bang on, and you could see him screaming at the team to attack more towards the end. Newcastle did start to panic and backed right off.

Exactly, think you read my point wrong slightly - I also meant he couldn't do anything about not having a consistent goalkeeper so he was dealt a flawed hand. Also, he commented on how unfit the players were but he couldn't do loads there within the time he had. 

But all that said, I think we need a refresh and would support a new manager coming in. 

• Like 1

Some say the options are limited, others say Potter is the answer. I don't believe either is true. I don't study other countries really and coaches, I'd never heard of De Zerbi before he was appointed, Thomas Frank always struck me as someone that would go places even when they were in the championship. Much like players I think we need a manager with a point to prove, an I feel Potter has already proved his point somewhat and his ceiling 7th-10th in premiership. Once you hit that ceiling you value yourself at that level. We need a young coach with a point to prove.

Edited by Beachyboy
  • Like 4

12 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

I dont think Potter is out of reach if the club go and pitch the right project. 

There's only Palace recruiting now, right? Whilst I think that would be a good job for him with their current players, they aren't a club that are likely to spend a great deal to hugely reinforce. There's a bit of a glass ceiling there. 

Any other Premier League club he's going to have to wait til the start of the season, see who gets sacked, walk in and inherit an unhappy squad he had no say in building. 

Taking over a Championship club who are the favourites to be promoted, with a lot of Premier League players here already and the promise of a substantial rebuild in your image? It's not the worst idea imaginable. Especially if we're offering decent wages and he doesn't think he's going to get another Big Six job in the short term. 

But do I believe Nixon has any inside knowledge? Narh, you're better off listening to Big Barry down the pub. 

Logically it could be a good move. Likely to have enormous funds for the rebuild by Championship standards, we'll have retained enough players who'll be too good for the division and you know full well he'll view Seagrave as the footballing equivalent of coming home from work to find Maya Jama spreadeagled on the king size.

It could be a hell of a risk if it goes belly up though. He'd be seen as the coach who failed despite enormous resources at not only two clubs, but across two divisions. That would destroy his rep for good imo. Not sure he would fail here though as he's tailor-made for what we purportedly want to build. It wouldn't hurt to table an offer though.

47 minutes ago, Foxin_Mad said:

Trouble is the majority of the other options come with unproven risks, some of the names we've been linked with aren't exactly inspiring.

My fear is the club piss around for 2 months snd then decide actually we can't afford or risk this and go for someone middle of tge road or past it like Rafa. 

If I genuinely thought they bring in a young inspiring manager capable of progressive attacking football, then great. I don't trust Rudkin, he acts like a man who has no clue, probably because he has no clue! Everything takes too long now at the club, you have to act decisively and quickly. 

Every manager is a risk, proven or unproven. It's about finding someone who wants the job and is willing to come build a project. Potter would be great. The least we can expect from the club is to put hours and hours into the next days/weeks to get the best possible. Not just sit around and default to giving Smith the job, which I think would be bad and end up with us lower half next season.

Agree about the time, we must find someone, ideally by mid-June, absolute latest ready to go end of June.

3 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Logically it could be a good move. Likely to have enormous funds for the rebuild by Championship standards, we'll have retained enough players who'll be too good for the division and you know full well he'll view Seagrave as the footballing equivalent of coming home from work to find Maya Jama spreadeagled on the king size.

It could be a hell of a risk if it goes belly up though. He'd be seen as the coach who failed despite enormous resources at not only two clubs, but across two divisions. That would destroy his rep for good imo. Not sure he would fail here though as he's tailor-made for what we purportedly want to build. It wouldn't hurt to table an offer though.

I mean, it was reported that he was recieving death threats to him and his kids while at Chelsea, I can see him wanting to go for something a bit less high profile. can argue either way whether us in the championship is less high profile than taking Palace or waiting for a Bournemouth/Fulham type job to come up

Potter would be a the perfect appointment, the way he built and transformed Brighton was remarkable. Given time to implement his style, this season could be very exciting… people forget he had Swansea playing some of the best football the Championship has seen in recent times, on a tiny budget. Doubt it will happen, but here is hoping…

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Jabbaranks said:

I can't believe in a million years that Potter would take the job - this time last year his stock as an English manager was as high as anybody, hence the approach from Chelsea. Hindsight tells us that he never stood a chance at Chelsea and his reputation has (unfairly) taken a blow.

His next step to restore that previous adulation is going to have to be a carefully taken decision, and taking over us with all of the outgoings, cutting of cloth, projected lack of funds to invest is going to make it a massively risky proposition to take on. Failure of any description with us, would throw him right down the football pyramid. 

I just can't see it, he'll have much more attractive and risk averse propositions. 

Sven joined a Championship Leicester...

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

I don’t think so….. prior to Brighton what did he actually achieve? 

Chelsea was a car crash, so really does his CV mean he can command a top job again? Nice would be a decent choice, however, if he came here he would have a change to completely rebuild his reputation….he/we get it right next season and he gets us up, he will be lauded much more than anywhere else.

People for a moment have got to just pit the relegation to one side for a moment…. We’re still a big club, and actually financially relegation could enable us to clean the slate and get going again. We’re a much better proposition to Leeds who are erratic. I think Potter would be wise to chosen us. In my opinion we’re the biggest club that’s ever been in this league now, so that counts for something. 

You were doing well to this statement. Maybe you forgot that Utd were in the Championship in the 80s I think it was.

But I agree with essence of the rest of what you say.  Rightly or wrongly he failed at Chelsea.

Here he'd have a clean slate to start afresh. A Big club, Great facilities and probably the best budget in the league.

What's not to like.,  We could lift his profile sky high again.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steve Earle said:

Sven joined a Championship Leicester...

Sven's reputation was a bit more of a has-been than Potters is, they're not comparable. I think Potter is attainable but it would be a difficult sell and depend on other clubs as well 

17 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Some say the options are limited, others say Potter is the answer. I don't believe either is true. I don't study other countries really and coaches, I'd never heard of De Zerbi before he was appointed, Thomas Frank always struck me as someone that would go places even when they were in the championship. Much like players I think we need a manager with a point to prove, an I feel Potter has already proved his point somewhat and tracked his ceiling 7th-10th in premiership. Once you hit that ceiling you value yourself at that level. We need a young coach with a point to prove.

De Zerbi has worked because lots of very good building blocks were already in place at Brighton - he was able to slot in and hit the ground running. Potter is a builder so they had good recruitment, culture etc up to that point. The question for De Zerbi is if he can sustain this when he gets the inevitable churn at Brighton. We saw a few very worrying results for them towards the end of the season. Definitely interesting times for them.

We need someone who is going to build the foundations for what the next phase of LCFC is going to become. Its unclear to me if a young upcoming sort has the skills to do this where we are right now. Someone with a track record of doing this (Potter / Smith) makes me feel happier due to the amount of work that needs doing.

What concerns me about Potter is i think to get him we are going to need to chuck too much money his way. I think we end up with a Brendan MK2 situation where we pay too much, they become to expensive to hold to account, and we end up giving too much power away. 

Edited by Chelmofox

7 minutes ago, Clever Fox said:

You were doing well to this statement. Maybe you forgot that Utd were in the Championship in the 80s I think it was.

But I agree with essence of the rest of what you say.  Rightly or wrongly he failed at Chelsea.

Here he'd have a clean slate to start afresh. A Big club, Great facilities and probably the best budget in the league.

What's not to like.,  We could lift his profile sky high again.

Completely different era. On the context of modern football now football clubs are basically sporting empires we probably are. 

But Potter I think would actually be a solid choice. Personally I rate him, and I think this is the ideal job for him after the Chelsea disaster. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Leicesterpool said:

We had the biggest budget in 2011, but still didn't get promoted until 2014. Means nothing unless you get the right players and the right manager.

But the remaining nucleus of the squad is premier league standard as opposed to the years you mentioned trying to formulate a premier league squad 

3 hours ago, westernpark said:

There’s no way he chooses us over Spurs!

...Daniel Levy is the reason I would imagine managers would think twice to going there!!!

Pretty hands on, and will be looking over your shoulder, whereas LCFC would be viewed as a free rein to develop a team.

Postecoglou was my suggestion a few seasons ago, like his style of play and is very much a front foot type of manager.

I am not sure we were expecting Rodgers when he came to us, we just need that type of a forward thinking approach to the next appointment. 

• Like 1