Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

21 minutes ago, Chelmofox said:

De Zerbi has worked because lots of very good building blocks were already in place at Brighton - he was able to slot in and hit the ground running. Potter is a builder so they had good recruitment, culture etc up to that point. The question for De Zerbi is if he can sustain this when he gets the inevitable churn at Brighton. We saw a few very worrying results for them towards the end of the season. Definitely interesting times for them.

We need someone who is going to build the foundations for what the next phase of LCFC is going to become. Its unclear to me if a young upcoming sort has the skills to do this where we are right now. Someone with a track record of doing this (Potter / Smith) makes me feel happier due to the amount of work that needs doing.

What concerns me about Potter is i think to get him we are going to need to chuck too much money his way. I think we end up with a Brendan MK2 situation where we pay too much, they become to expensive to hold to account, and we end up giving too much power away. 

You won't have to chuck a lot if money at Smith, even if he doesn't get us promoted he will at least like you say build the foundations for someone more inspiring to come in. Rogers is the only manager that has come in during my life who I felt inspired at the time of them arriving. It usually doesn't work that way, an even if you are inspired by an appointment, if they were to lose the first 5 games, watch the mood quickly change anyway.

Potter is unlikely but not impossible. It's been common knowledge we've rated him for a long time. If we tell him he can have a big say in appointments and build the club, he might be interested. At the min Palace is the only other job available; Steve Parish seems like a good owner so I could see him going there.

I think his time at Chelsea was a big wake up call. As soon as he changed his image straight away it was a worry. Instead of wearing Saville Row suits and being exceptionally groomed, he should have said you either want me or not. But he allowed them to change who he was immediately. By the end he looked shell shocked. That press conference where he started using F**k was so out of character.

Most peoples strengths are also their weaknesses. He seems like a deep thinker who is maybe too nice and not great with confrontation. Needs the right squad with the right characters who won't take advantage of that; we would give him chance to build that.

Whilst I like him and he is builder. He was only the Head Coach at Brighton (which he himself has mentioned). Of course he had input. But a lot more people helped to build Brighton: their owner, directors, recruitment and analytical staff all had a big part. 

He might not want this job though. There will be pressure immediately. If we don't come straight back up his reputation will be even worse and the media will write him off.

• Like 1

Potter's sides are a bit of a one trick pony, probably good enough to get out of the championship but his Swansea side didn't;t pull up any trees, even if he there was a huge turnover of staff. At Brighton they never made good on their promise under him, De Zerbi showed what that squad was capable of.

Think I’ll have to jump on the Duff bandwagon too.

He’s turned Barnsley into an outfit that are capable of mixing it. A defence that actually enjoy defending, with Kitching being utilised as a forward thinking centre back who gets forward and joins attacks. In midfield they have technical players who are also capable of playing a pressing game. While Cole & Tedic in attack give them physicality with an option to go long. Duff has also set them up to be a threat from set pieces and long throw ins. 

He knows how to work through a refresh, Barnsley went through numerous changes last season, he went in there and has seemingly turned them into a team that are strong in all areas. 

Barnsley & Cheltenham fans love him.

GERRIMIN! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

You won't have to chuck a lot if money at Smith, even if he doesn't get us promoted he will at least like you say build the foundations for someone more inspiring to come in. Rogers is the only manager that has come in during my life who I felt inspired at the time of them arriving. It usually doesn't work that way, an even if you are inspired by an appointment, if they were to lose the first 5 games, watch the mood quickly change anyway.

His tenure at Norwich after they got relegated doesn't look good on his CV. Is there any evidence that he could build a foundation with us? 

6 minutes ago, Stadt said:

Potter's sides are a bit of a one trick pony, probably good enough to get out of the championship but his Swansea side didn't;t pull up any trees, even if he there was a huge turnover of staff. At Brighton they never made good on their promise under him, De Zerbi showed what that squad was capable of.

If he was to be appointed, get us promoted and provide us us with a good base with the the next manager to work with then that is more than good enough for me. 

8 minutes ago, Leicester_Loyal said:

Why would he come here?

If it happens I'll love it but no chance IMO.

I don't think he'll come come but a few reasons:

1. Owners have been shown to be patient and supportive (and in the case of BR, too supportive). They'll give him the space to rebuild his reputation

2. The potential ceiling for Leicester is higher than Palace, and many other PL clubs

3. The training ground is incredible and the club is investing in building the commercial side, so he'll likely have higher spend in the medium-term

4. He'd have the space at Leicester to develop the culture and his way of working seems to suit the way we'd typically gone about things - understated, thoughtful etc. 

5. Less immediate pressure from being exposed to the PL, gives him space over a longer season to develop a side

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

I don't think he'll come come but a few reasons:

1. Owners have been shown to be patient and supportive (and in the case of BR, too supportive). They'll give him the space to rebuild his reputation

2. The potential ceiling for Leicester is higher than Palace, and many other PL clubs

3. The training ground is incredible and the club is investing in building the commercial side, so he'll likely have higher spend in the medium-term

4. He'd have the space at Leicester to develop the culture and his way of working seems to suit the way we'd typically gone about things - understated, thoughtful etc. 

5. Less immediate pressure from being exposed to the PL, gives him space over a longer season to develop a side

Not happening in a million years - no chance he comes to us - won’t matter how much they throw at him - he gets the next top half prem job I reckon 

No chance Potter comes here. I'd absolutely love it but I just can't see it happening. 

I suspect the likely outcome is we stick with Dean Smith. Yes it's uninspiring but he's already been here for several weeks and it's the easiest appointment for the incompetent higher ups at the club.

They've absolutely ****ed multiple decisions all season, I don't expect them to magically change how they do things.

1 minute ago, themightyfin said:

There are people here who would not be happy wirh Potter? 

Really?

It would be a major appointment if we did pull it off .

Some people only live on twitter or the Sky Sports Fantasy land where only the big 6 matters.

Graham Potter would be the perfect appointment if we were a Premier League club, nevermind a Championship one.

If it were to happen we should start to get very excited.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, K789 said:

What a coup if we could get him

Sorry just don’t agree.Amazing what De Zerbi did with the same players.Brighton we’re easy on the eye with Potter but just could never score enough goals.

Genuinely not sure who I want but it’s not Potter.

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, themightyfin said:

On the back of losing his job with Ivory Coast. 

Potter lost his job with Chelsea.

Huge difference 

I know. But he was a huge name on serious coin.

I’m just pushing back on the ‘we can’t get Potter’ narrative. We might - I think it’s unlikely - with PL wages, a ‘project’ and a decent transfer kitty.