Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

There’s not no chance is there….. seriously. There’s always a chance. Potter isn’t Pep, and it’s perfectly reasonable for us to be speaking with him. Highly ambitious, but we are the very definition of the word.

He looks at the training ground, gets given assurance he has money, and gets told he is being looked at to lead a long term project….. it makes sense. Like I’ve said, considering Potters footballing philosophy of building a squad, this would be very much within his remit. It would come down to if he felt the clubs ambitions can be achieved with the budget they give him. 

Potter knows full well footballs a long term game.

• Like 3

Just now, Pliskin said:

There’s not no chance is there….. seriously. There’s always a chance. Potter isn’t Pep, and it’s perfectly reasonable for us to be speaking with him. Highly ambitious, but we are the very definition of the word.

He looks at the training ground, gets given assurance he has money, and gets told he is being looked at to lead a long term project….. it makes sense. Like I’ve said, considering Potters footballing philosophy of building a squad, this would be very much within his remit. It would come down to if he felt the clubs ambitions can be achieved with the budget they give him. 

Spot on, though I don't think it's likely.

If you think of football as that long term game, who's he going to see as having more potential? Us or Palace? We certainly have more potential than a good ten teams who stayed up for the reasons you've listed above. It's not beyond the realms that he rebuilds a side that storms the Championship, stays up comfortably and then kicks on.

5 minutes ago, Bilo said:

Doesn't he come with a pretty big entourage who'd want a fair amount of control over recruitment?

Dunno. Made some excellent signings at Brighton though. 

Caicedo, Mitoma, Estupinan the obvious PL ones that are getting credit now.

Guest Mee-9
17 minutes ago, Lionator said:

From where?

Few ITK journo’s on twitter.

Seen one from a reputable source. 

1 hour ago, Bilo said:

It's March 2024.

After Leicester's 2-1 defeat at Sunderland brought to an end their 14 game winning run and cut their lead at the top of the SkyBet Championship to 18 points, FoxesTalk members have called for Potter to be sacked and replaced with Neil Warnock, currently at 18th placed Huddersfield. 

.. we were never listened to before,  so I would be surprised if they started to now!!!

If they had, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Edited by sacreblueits442
Spelling error.

5 minutes ago, Pliskin said:

Absolutely.

1 hour ago, themightyfin said:

There are people here who would not be happy wirh Potter? 

Really?

It would be a major appointment if we did pull it off .

I'm not a fan of his, but at this level I can't pretend he wouldn't stand a chance of getting us promoted. Bloke can't get a team scoring goals if his life depended on it though.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, daddylonglegs said:

Dunno. Made some excellent signings at Brighton though. 

Caicedo, Mitoma, Estupinan the obvious PL ones that are getting credit now.

Dan Ashworth and the Brighton way of working set all that up not Potter!

Edited by Jono1604

So some don't want Parker because he isn't a long term solution as he'd likely get us up and probably need replacing, but Potter might be a longer term option with building a side and being more than capable in the Premier League and some don't want him. 

Guessing with Potter being at Brighton and their recruitment model not being reliant on who's in charge, it makes sense we would look at him with us also looking to go back in a similar direction.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

I'm not a fan of his, but at this level I can't pretend he wouldn't stand a chance of getting us promoted. Bloke can't get a team scoring goals if his life depended on it though.

Also depends on what he’s got. Kelch will score goals if coached well. And I still believe Daka would too. When I look at Brighton, I don’t see that prolific striker who’s going to get you 20+ every season. Mac Allister was their top scorer with 10, even under De Zerbi. 

5 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Bloke can't get a team scoring goals if his life depended on it though.

Was talking about this in another thread the other day. 

When you look at some of the strikers he's had playing for him, he's had a number (Maupay being the most obvious) that severely underperformed their xG per 90 minutes. Maupay alone comes in at something like -0.3 per 90 minutes below his expected goals. You're looking at the best part of 15 odd goals a season. 

I think his teams largely do create chances they just don't take them. 

Given our strikers are fairly consistent in meeting their xG, I think we'd be fairly well set in that regard as long as we aren't intending on selling any of them. 

Edited by Finnegan

6 minutes ago, Ric Flair said:

Ollie McBurnie getting 20+ though.....imagine him potentially with Kelechi or Daka in the Championship

Edited by Tommy Fresh
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, Spudulike said:

It would be but perhaps the owners want a safe pair of hands, especially with Shakey as part of the deal. 

If we can't get Potter then any other appointment will be a risk and King Power might not be ready for another one after what their business has gone through. 

Why is Potter not a risk but on 5 times the money probably? Him building a team at Brighton is exactly what Smith did with Brentford and Villa

5 minutes ago, KansasFox said:

For some reason, I think Everton will dump Dyche and go for Potter.

Dyche was only contracted to the end of the season.

If Potter went to Everton, it would be a massively stupid decision. The club is toxic and FFP punishment is hanging over them. 

If they get new owners, maybe but it could be even more of a mess than Chelsea for him to go into. 

Edited by lcfc_forever
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Was talking about this in another thread the other day. 

When you look at some of the strikers he's had playing for him, he's had a number (Maupay being the most obvious) that severely underperformed their xG per 90 minutes. Maupay alone comes in at something like -0.3 per 90 minutes below his expected goals. You're looking at the best part of 15 odd goals a season. 

I think his teams largely do create chances they just don't take them. 

Given our strikers are fairly consistent in meeting their xG, I think we'd be fairly well set in that regard as long as we aren't intending on selling any of them. 

Exactly, it's hard to imagine that he coaches his players out of scoring goals lol

6 minutes ago, KansasFox said:

For some reason, I think Everton will dump Dyche and go for Potter.

Dyche was only contracted to the end of the season.

He signed a 2 1/2 year contract in January so that's until June 2025

1 minute ago, lcfc_forever said:

If Potter went to Everton, it would be a massively stupid decision. The club is toxic and FFP punishment is hanging over them. 

If they get new owners, maybe but it could be even more of a mess than Chelsea for him to go into. 

I agree. Like I said, just a feeling. I don't think it would work for him there.

• Like 1