Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
Happy Fox

Manager for the Championship rebuild - who do you want?

7 minutes ago, Jono1604 said:

Dan Ashworth and the Brighton way of working set all that up not Potter!

The ‘Brighton way’ was in place before Ashworth. Potter didn’t have the kind of influence that Rodgers had here but everything was built around his tactical philosophy.

1 hour ago, winteriscoming said:

Unpopular opinion but I don’t want Potter. Don’t think he’ll get us up. 

I read a couple of months ago West Ham were considering sacking Moyes and had ruled out Potter because they suspect the reason he done so well at Brighton was more to do with their recruitment rather than his managerial abilities, De Zerbi carrying Brighton were they left off and Potter's terrible time at Chelsea adds weight to this.

I think Potter would have some interest in coming here, I don't think we'd be his ideal choice but he has no chance of getting a top seven club  and the mid table clubs won't be sacking their managers. His next job is either someone like us or a struggling PL club who have sacked their manager.

Guest Kopfkino

Sounds like the internal review went well. 

Got into the mess in part hamstringing ourselves by throwing lots of money at stuff we then couldn’t shift when we no longer wanted/needed it.

Conclusion: throw lots of money at the new problem. His achievements in English football are no more than Claude Puel’s, I don’t see that he’d warrant the cost that is going to be associated.

The club that signed Riyad Mahrez for 400k just no longer seems to understand efficient resource allocation. 

Potter as an appointment in isolation would be fine, the likely cost associated with it isn’t fine. Putting all your eggs in one basket and giving yourself an expensive headache if it goes wrong just isn’t what we need rn imo. Clearly a good coach and should have us up there, albeit overrated cos of the lack of similar English coaches. His sole Championship season, his record was near identical to Swansea’s this year and yet plenty turn their nose up at Russell Martin.

Edited by Kopfkino

5 minutes ago, Finnegan said:

Was talking about this in another thread the other day. 

When you look at some of the strikers he's had playing for him, he's had a number (Maupay being the most obvious) that severely underperformed their xG per 90 minutes. Maupay alone comes in at something like -0.3 per 90 minutes below his expected goals. You're looking at the best part of 15 odd goals a season. 

I think his teams largely do create chances they just don't take them. 

5 minutes ago, Tommy Fresh said:

Ollie McBurnie getting 20+ though.....imagine him potentially with Kelechi or Daka in the Championship

Yeah, I can't help but think that if he had a striker like Iheanacho in the championship, we wouldn't struggle to score goals. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Kopfkino said:

Sounds like the internal review went well. 

Got into the mess in part hamstringing ourselves by throwing lots of money at stuff we then couldn’t shift when we no longer wanted/needed it.

Conclusion: throw lots of money at the new problem.

The club that signed Riyad Mahrez for 400k just no longer seems to understand efficient resource allocation. 

Potter as an appointment in isolation would be fine, the likely cost associated with it isn’t fine. Putting all your eggs in one basket and giving yourself an expensive headache if it goes wrong just isn’t what we need rn imo. Clearly a good coach and should have us up there, albeit overrated cos of the lack of similar English coaches. His sole Championship season, his record was near identical to Swansea’s this year and yet plenty turn their nose up at Russell Martin.

Tbf, just because there's money to spend, doesn't mean it'll be thrown around. 

Gets even better this Potter nonsense he didn't even get Brighton promoted they did that before he arrived. Finished 10th with Swansea and a cluster **** to sort out now here. He then takes Brighton to the mighty heights of 15th in 2020 after finishing 17th the season before, an this guy is gonna come in and have a 1 year impact.

15 minutes ago, Stinky said:

Exactly, it's hard to imagine that he coaches his players out of scoring goals lol

It's not that so much that I think the view of him is that his teams play the ball around a lot outside the box but fail to get in to it. 

Where as statistically, there is creation there, there's just lacking execution. 

You just know the interview with Potter will go something like this:

Potter: So John, after Chelsea I need to make sure I get the next move right as my reputation is at stake, tell me your thoughts on what went wrong last season? 

Rudkin: Well Graham I can assure that the board are fully committed to whoever becomes the new manager, and whilst things didn't go to plan last season, Susan and I following review have come to the conclusion that fundamentally the main issue was that we'd put the club in a perilous position with the length and size of contract we'd offered to the manager meaning we had to stick with him for as long as possible in the hope that we'd eventually turn a corner. 

Potter: OK, that's reassuring. 

Rudkin: Anyway let's stop with the small talk and get down to business. How does a 6 year contract on £10m a year sound? 

• Haha 1

15 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

Daniel Farke has been sacked at Gladbach. Won the Championship twice with Norwich.

Makes way more sense than Potter then, surely we want somebody that has either 1) achieved Championship promotion or 2) achieved a promotion.

My caution with Potter is that he had a very similar role at Swansea to do - they finished 10th and they went to join Brighton. There are similarities here - and I'm not sure such a finish would necessarily be acceptable considering the outlay. 

I think some on here are underestimating the part Potter played in where Brighton are now. Under Chris Hughton they played a pretty uninspiring brand of football and had a high net spend and an aging squad (36 year-old Glenn Murray was their top scorer). Also, if you look at Hughton's last ten games under Hughton, they looked as they would have gone down the following season.  Even if they were well run as a club, you still need a manager to carry out a vision and he made them a far more attractive proposition. They were able to sell players for god money in part because of how he reshaped them. 

• Like 1

I think Farke is a good manager, and as someone who's managed in England someone on the board will likely have heard of him.  I would imagine he'd be in the mix for us (and Leeds too).

Just now, CosbehFox said:

My caution with Potter is that he had a very similar role at Swansea to do - they finished 10th and they went to join Brighton. There are similarities here - and I'm not sure such a finish would necessarily be acceptable considering the outlay. 

Nothing but winning the league would be acceptable if it were to be Potter not 2nd or a play off final victory. Biggest budget in the championship and highest paid coach. I don't believe he can do that.

I'd take Farke over some other names mentioned but definitely a few better options out there for me.

I can see Van Nistelrooy heading to Gladbach now, had heard that link before Farke had even gone.

Guest foxestalkisfullofidiots

Phil Neville has been sacked by Miami, 10 defeats in 13

He will defiantly be in the running

2 minutes ago, Beachyboy said:

Makes way more sense than Potter then, surely we want somebody that has either 1) achieved Championship promotion or 2) achieved a promotion.

Does taking Ostersunds from 3 divisions below to the european spots of the Swedish Premier League not count? I know standards are different but it's still an achievement!

1 minute ago, sylofox said:

Are we even looking yet. Or have they all fvcked off on holiday before we start looking?

Most probably the latter knowing our lot. Will be an extended break too to allow them to recharge the batteries after relegation. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BenTheFox said:

I think some on here are underestimating the part Potter played in where Brighton are now. Under Chris Hughton they played a pretty uninspiring brand of football and had a high net spend and an aging squad (36 year-old Glenn Murray was their top scorer). Also, if you look at Hughton's last ten games under Hughton, they looked as they would have gone down the following season.  Even if they were well run as a club, you still need a manager to carry out a vision and he made them a far more attractive proposition. They were able to sell players for god money in part because of how he reshaped them. 

I don't buy the hype, if he were to come to us he should be grateful for joining a patient club who are willing to allow him to rebuild his reputation. Instead the perception would be how grateful we should be to have him as our manager, feels to much like De Ja Vu from the last 2 years that.

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

Does taking Ostersunds from 3 divisions below to the european spots of the Swedish Premier League not count? I know standards are different but it's still an achievement!

Also beat Arsenal at the Emirates in the EL, albeit lost on aggregate. 

2 minutes ago, AjcW said:

I'd rather have somebody like Robins that has done it in the English league, an would cost less.

• Like 1