Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daddylonglegs

When did you lose hope?

I might try and dig it out, but in pre-season I posted asking people if they thought we were in serious danger of going down and most people laughed at me. I’m curious how accurate my concerns at the time were. 

So in truth, other than when we were 2-0 up against brentford, i’m not sure I ever had hope for us. Maybe a bit of optimism after spurs… but that didn’t last long 

I remember thinking after the 1 0 defeat at home to Arsenal in Feb  with barely a shot on goal that the confidence had gone and we  were in defensive mode. So frustrating after the Spurs game just before and seeing Forest win yesterday 

A hard one to say but after the first 7 games, we looked deep in the mire! So not difficult to see what was coming. Brief flashes thereafter gave some hope, but for me the performance vs Southampton away said everything really.   Still, a tiny bit of hope remains…. But when that goes, it’ll be that Southampton game for me.

You could see we were in trouble with the way we started the season, but I didn’t think it was “likely” we would go down until it was more than half way through and we hadn’t sacked Rodgers yet. When the January window passed and failed to right the ship, Rodgers should have gone at that point, absolute latest. We left it too late. It was around Christmas I also realised I had underestimated the impact of the contract mess at the club. 

Failing to beat Leeds and Everton was when I first thought we were very likely to go down, now it is even more likely, but not technically over. We have done far less likely things before, but I wouldn’t trust this team to do anything. 

Edited by FoxesWalk

ALL of the results up to and including the thumping of Nottingham Forest in early October. That victory at home gave Rodgers a stay of execution, despite all of the previous warning signs that he was causing the club to be sinking fast. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Jaspa said:

Fulham away. Game before at home against Everton we battled but right at the final whistle most of our players collapsed to their haunches, it didnt look like tiredness or even frustration, they already looked defeated - and then we rolled out against Fulham with the same attitude, defeat. Our players summed it up.

This is also the image I have stuck in my mind. You’ve summed it up well, mentally defeated when that whistle went. 

I think the two end of season CL collapses, within those periods some absolutely shockers (Bournemouth away springs to mind)

told me we were psychologically “weak” and fragile, and since then it’s been Getting worse. I predicted we would be relegated this season. 

• Like 2

I am not giving up until its mathematically impossible. 

It's not always immediately obvious when things start to turn and hope starts to fade, but that 2-3 home defeat by Spurs where they score twice in injury time just shows how mentally fragile some of these players were back then, and its now showed itself this season. 

Edited by SK3Blue

The 2nd time we bottled CL qualification. The nature of it all and Brendan’s utter inability to scratch out the points we needed. For me, that was when my hope faded. I said at the time that this would see the collapse of the dream and end in relegation. 

That was when the board should have acted. It would have seemed brutal, but it would have been wise. I said that too. But, you know, FA Cup. 

Edited by ARM1968
  • Like 1

Over the past 3 seasons we started the season well and went backwards. 

At the end of last season I thought our performances would see us in trouble so barely had hope at the beginning of the season

When we started this season poorly I knew immediately we would be in trouble

After 1 point from 3 games (having led 2 of them), drew with Stockport 0-0 - I put money on us being relegated.

7 Games in I saw absolutely no hope, team playing with no confidence.

But then going into the World cup I thought we had solved the issue - I had hope, the team had hope

7 minutes into the 1st game after the World Cup... it was back to oh shit we are in trouble.

Again immediately our players heads dropped and we went to the awful shite that started the season.

Brighton should have beat us and then Villa gifted us 4 goals and 3 points and we were playing with confidence again.

Heads up and confidence up we looked a good side (well for 114 minutes)

Dominated Tottenham and Man United (for 24 minutes) 

The minute Rashford scored, you physically saw the players drop, give up and we have been shit ever since

The Sacking of Rodgers briefly gave hope, but the damage was done.

We should have beat Leeds and when we didn't

The performances dropped again

We were poor against Everton although could have won, if we had then maybe we would have seen some confidence.

I honestly don't know if the players didn't believe in themselves

Or believe that we were always going to be safe and didn't put the effort in

Or a mixture of both

But never have I seen such a mentally weak group of "professionals"

I don't think it's possible to pinpoint a moment as there have been too many, and the loss of hope has been cumulative through the season. I will pick out the Arsenal match as one where I was convinced our players had no capacity for a fight. One measly shot and we effectively gifted them the three points. 

Edited by Arkie Bennett