Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
daddylonglegs

When did you lose hope?

Initially when we got pumped 5-2 away to Brighton, only to go on a pre World Cup mini run which gave me a glimmer of hope. However the Boxing Day mauling at home to Newcastle soon brought that crashing back down to earth and apart from a very minor little recovery in January against Villa and Spurs, we have been an absolute disgrace. 

• Like 1

The Crystal Palace game for me. Not only were we diabolical, but the club then sacked Rodgers after we'd just had a two week break. Getting rid of him straight after Brentford would have given us a clear fortnight to get the current management team in, let them settle in a little bit and probably win one of the next two games. Instead our final window of opportunity was badly wasted in yet another example of gross mismanagement.

• Like 2

So many moments, but I think I lost hope the most when at various points the club didn’t spend money to address some of the issues - be in signing players or sacking Rodgers earlier. It smacks of not engaging seriously or seeing what were clear problems. So arrogant, and lo and behold that’s what we see on the pitch - and the players have said as much until recently when the realisation has sunk in.

26 minutes ago, Corky said:

How?

Obviously by definition it’s not guaranteed.

But if they beat West Ham today, they’ve got to match everton’s result on the last day of the season. Something you’d imagine they’ll do, given they’re playing spurs at home.

Guest Col city fan

Brian Clough: ‘all good sides are built on a solid defence. You can’t go and score four goals down one end, when you’re conceding five at the other’.

He’s right and we’ve failed miserably to address this.

2 hours ago, Fox85 said:

New manager should of come in at the start of the season.

Been clear for almost 2 years we was on a downward spiral with Rodgers in charge.

Totally agree 

The team spirit and ability to fight for a result is as low as I can remember since that Holloway season. 

Unless there are some radical changes to the football hierarchy at the club we could be languishing in the Championship for a long time

9 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I’m an optimist. I don’t give up hope until I know it’s no longer possible. I hope the players have the same attitude over the next week. 

Yeh, a few comments like this & fair enough. Should’ve framed it as ‘if you’ve lost hope’.

Having said that, I’d like some of what you’re smoking if you’ve still got

hope 😃

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Phil Bowman said:

I always have hope.

I don't always have any expectation, but I always have hope. Even if only a little bit.

It ain't over till it's over. Yes, it'll almost certainly be over very soon, but it isn't over yet. We're almost certainly going down, but until we're actually down, it is only almost certainly.

But - you know, whatever. I'm past letting football define my mood, or damage my mental health. I'll be happy when they do well - but I won't depend on them doing well for my happiness - and I'll be disappointed when they don't, but I'm buggered if I'm going to let it spoil my summer. I'll enjoy there being no football for a couple of months. And come August I'll be ready for a new season, and I'll be thinking 'maybe this will be a good season.' And it probably won't be (most of them aren't), but it might (sometimes they are), and I've supported this club all my life, and I will for the rest of my life, whatever happens. And I'll do that in my way, and you'll all do that in your ways, and if we can just all let each other do that and not have a go at someone else because they want to boo the team, or applaud the team, or because they think an obviously brilliant player is crap, or an obviously rubbish player is a genius, then we'll all make our little corner of the world a slightly better place.

Up the City!

One of the more balanced and mature posts of the last few months.

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
13 minutes ago, Nick said:

I've still got hope - but that's all it is - hope.

Like you ‘hope’ to own a Suzuki Burgman 650 EXECUTIVE at some point Nick?

:cool:

53 minutes ago, Supergray22 said:

I’m an optimist. I don’t give up hope until I know it’s no longer possible. I hope the players have the same attitude over the next week. 

Hopefully they will wake up for the final 2 games knowing that we are 100% down if we don't win them... I think that must have been the thought this morning after Forest survive and now its between us, Everton and Leeds.

• Like 1

There used to be this action man type space man from outer space who had light up eyes. All my mates had one. All the way up to Xmas Eve I was like really good. I didn’t peak or anything to try to see the sleigh. 

Xmas morning, I unwrapped an orange, a bag of chocolate coins, and some diabolical flotsam no young boy would ever want or need. 

I knew from that moment that life would be an unrelenting journey into misery and substance abuse.

A rollercoaster where there’s nothing but down as they drilled into the earth.

Occasionally the carriage stops so that someone can show you a picture of another person laughing on a beach alongside a beautiful partner and a bag stuffed with money and cake or the like, then the plummet to the core at terminal velocity resumes. 

This was yesterdays picture:

IMG_2862.jpeg.2f532d35c3732a68a2e15dc82e660ccf.jpeg

Edited by Daggers
  • Haha 1

Last summer after the record PL transfer spend and we didn't sign any players I thought we would be in relegation battle.

Especially once Rodgers alienated some of his squad and started playing Amartey over Cags I thought we were definates for the drop.

3 hours ago, Thequickbrownfox said:

The Crystal Palace game for me. Not only were we diabolical, but the club then sacked Rodgers after we'd just had a two week break. Getting rid of him straight after Brentford would have given us a clear fortnight to get the current management team in, let them settle in a little bit and probably win one of the next two games. Instead our final window of opportunity was badly wasted in yet another example of gross mismanagement.

Me too . They had been utter dog crap most of the year , not scoring and leaking goals left right and centre . They replace their manager with a corpse and create chances at will and run us ragged . I knew we were done 

In what way were we on a downward spiral two years ago?????? Just won the FA Cup and finished 5th, unless 4th to 5th is considered a spiral? Pretty sure that summer we then signed Daka, Soumare and someone else who I think escapes me, all of which we were chuffed with at the time. Sure things started to go stale after that point but not in a "you'll be in the Skybet in 18 months" sort of way. 

7 minutes ago, Stinky said:

In what way were we on a downward spiral two years ago?????? Just won the FA Cup and finished 5th, unless 4th to 5th is considered a spiral? Pretty sure that summer we then signed Daka, Soumare and someone else who I think escapes me, all of which we were chuffed with at the time. Sure things started to go stale after that point but not in a "you'll be in the Skybet in 18 months" sort of way. 

Expect they are referencing throwing away the Champions League for the 2nd year (key losses to West Ham away, Newcastle at home, Spuds home) and then iffy following season where we were fortunate to finish 8th (could easily have been 14th).