Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 0-0 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

Don't understand why we didn't have a crack 10 minutes sooner. They were under pressure too. We should have done more to make them nervous. We actually did, for the grand total of about 5 minutes 

• Like 1

Guest Col city fan
Just now, hejammy said:

No you're missing the point. We are not good enough to beat Newcastle away. Why go gung ho when we know defensively we're crap. Maybe even ruin our better goal difference. Doesn't make sense! Yes it was in our hands but realistically would it have been the right choice?! Think about it. Newcastle have only lost twice at home this season. We've been abysmal the whole season. Take a step back, breathe and then think. 

👍

Just now, cityfanlee23 said:

What a job from Eddie Howe though, I wanted him before Rodgers came. I've no doubt we will be in a much better position now if we had gone for him. 
Great to see Newcastle in the top 4. 

He has done a great job. As for for it being great to see Newcastle in the top 4 I'm gonna have to strongly disagree there. They're owned by a country who torture and kill people for speaking out. I'd still rather be going down with our owners than getting in the champions league with theirs 

Guest Col city fan
1 minute ago, South Shire Fox said:

Or open up and inevitably lose so Everton only need a point? Atleast a point puts pressure on Everton to have to go out and win now

I think this was EXACTLY the plan. It puts just that little bit more pressure on Everton 

2 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

This. Clearly seems like we were trying to soak up the pressure - with emphasis on not conceding - and to hit them on the break when possible. They were just relentless. Feels like a v good point to me, and hopefully builds confidence going into the last game. 

I think going all guns blazing and losing 5-0 would have done us no favours at all. 

I am sorry but we have no choice but to win this, as hard as it may be. Fine to try to defend and soak up pressure in the first 60. But wasn’t the game plan in the end to win? We said it before. 2 games 2 wins. Simple.

18 minutes ago, Foxxed said:

Makes our final day a little easier.

Everton can't stay up with a draw.

Yeah and that is massive, so much as we all wanted them to win, winning at Newcastle, however set up was always a massive challenge.  That was the best we could have hoped for,   It wasn't what we needed BUT it was probably the best we could have hoped for, and though not favourites, we have a chance to stay up, we can't ask for anymore than that.

That team or squad and managerial brain trust stand or fall now on what they do Sunday AND that still might not be good enough.

But IF we don't win Sunday we are down, so down to you LCFC.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, indierich06 said:

People keep saying there's no way that Bournemouth beat Everton - all we need from them is a draw. 

Providing we win. Which isn't guaranteed.

People banging on about Everton.

I'm more concerned about us beating WHam (I think we'll draw btw in which case it's all academic)

3 minutes ago, Tielemans63 said:

Don't understand why we didn't have a crack 10 minutes sooner. They were under pressure too. We should have done more to make them nervous. We actually did, for the grand total of about 5 minutes 

Was annoying because for those 5 min we did attack they looked really shaky, was a shame we couldn’t have done it for more

• Like 1

The real positive is that if we win now on Sunday, Everton have to as well. A defeat would have allowed them a draw in the event we win.

I think we did actually show some real heart too for much of it despite the negative play for over 80 plus minutes. Souttar was excellent, Soumare did OK and despite some awful and comic moments so did Thomas. 

We have a chance but not in our hands of course. We've not had much luck on final days. Maybe this is the time. 

• Like 3

Just now, MancFox24 said:

He has done a great job. As for for it being great to see Newcastle in the top 4 I'm gonna have to strongly disagree there. They're owned by a country who torture and kill people for speaking out. I'd still rather be going down with our owners than getting in the champions league with theirs 

Why? Do you really think ours are squeeky clean? 

• Like 1

Just now, Col city fan said:

I think this was EXACTLY the plan. It puts just that little bit more pressure on Everton 

And they're playing a team who have an excellent record against them with absolutely no pressure whatsoever. 

Newcastle are a quality side but Eddie Howe is the absolute master of shithousery. Behind that smiling, polite facade is a Lord of the Dark Arts. The level of heavy, tactical fouls in that game by Newcastle was outstanding. Pretty much every break was shut down by an early foul at the point of the break. The referee was weak and that’s key to its success. Playing on the break is a legitimate tactic of teams under the cosh against a team dominating possession. Tactical fouling has become a disease of the teams that dominate with attacking possession- the big 6 (7 now I guess) and PGMOL let them get away with it. 

• Like 3

From a footballing perspective we looked like a league one team in the cup holding out for a replay at home. But that was clearly the plan (nick a goal) and for the first time since forever we’ve kept a clean sheet and looked like we gave a sht. But we Smith should have been making us hard to beat from the get go. It’s too late and really 3 points was what we needed, Everton not winning and is winning just isn’t something I believe will happen - we’ve been crp all year and deserve what’s coming. 

1 minute ago, StanSP said:

You've seen us this season though so I'll save the passive aggressive nature of a reply lol 

Surely you can see how leaky we've been when we're so open though? We needed a performance, and it was nowhere near pretty today, but an attacking performance today against a side like Newcastle, would have just lead to a loss. That's more likely than going forward and actually winning the game. When did we last to that - attack a game, get a lead (?!), hold on to it? 

We might not have made an attacking attempt to win the game, but we were actually inches away from winning tonight in stoppage time with the game at 0-0?

I have and again I think you’d have a more valid point if it was a few games ago. We didnt need to be open and attacking but we needed to show more intent and have more energy than we did. It was ugly, we rode our luck and it really was backs to the wall. 

We needed more tonight and we didn’t get it. We didnt press the ball, we didn’t get in their faces we just stood off them. Lets also not forget Newcastle were also inches away on several occassions which would have unravelled this gameplan very quickly. 

Maybe I was fortunate in not being able to watch tonight but listening to commentary on the radio and having expected the worst I feel that it is still a good point gained even though we really needed 3. They've given me a reason to go to the West Ham game with at least a chance of staying up and that's not what I was expecting when I woke up this morning.

25 minutes ago, Aus Fox said:

It makes it simple on the Weekend - we win, Everton don’t and we’re safe.

Before this game, you said it is simple. 2 games. 2 wins. We stay up. 

Can’t believe we didn’t even go for it in the end. We just stood around and were not even trying to press. 

Edited by Tom12345
  • Haha 1

We were just about hanging on with 11 behind the ball, I wouldn’t have fancied just 6 behind the ball we’d have been slaughtered.

Still some shocking sloppiness, Barnes, Tielemans, Maddison, Soumare all playing anxious timid balls that were never getting there.