Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 0-0 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

6 minutes ago, turtmcfly said:

Come on. The idea was clearly to avoid an early goal, given the way we've responded to letting one in the rest of the season. Then try to pick up momentum with 25 minutes left. 

It's hardly a bizarre plan given who/where we were playing and how we've been playing. 

If you want to delude yourself that going at them from the off would have led to a win, have at it. 

Think you've misunderstood my post. I was happy with the strategy for 65mins. But then the switch has to be flipped. But we didn't - again - 'tge whole fecking game' I 

1 minute ago, Mythyaar said:

After the Fulham debacle, I'd take the final day scenario we now face. Still a chance!

One point from the first seven games and now one win in the last 14 we would only survive due to other sides equal incompetence.

Just now, funkyrobot said:

Newcastle are a quality side but Eddie Howe is the absolute master of shithousery. Behind that smiling, polite facade is a Lord of the Dark Arts. The level of heavy, tactical fouls in that game by Newcastle was outstanding. Pretty much every break was shut down by an early foul at the point of the break. The referee was weak and that’s key to its success. Playing on the break is a legitimate tactic of teams under the cosh against a team dominating possession. Tactical fouling has become a disease of the teams that dominate with attacking possession- the big 6 (7 now I guess) and PGMOL let them get away with it. 

Shame we don't have the players to do the same, we might not be in this predicament then 

Been saying it for a while now, ours lads are so soft

9 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

Am I the only one who thought that was an exceptional performance? Did you not see the stadium before the game? They were expecting to hammer us!

I’m over the moon to see us defend well, try our guts out and to get a point when none of us thought we would.

It’s so refreshing to see some sort of thought behind the game plan and it being executed.

However, we were VERY lucky too.

Agreed. We actually had a game plan!

That clean sheet was immense after the way we've been playing since the world cup. 

Shame we couldn't put away our chance at the end but surely keeping it tight was the only way we were ever going to win tonight.

• Like 1

Whatever you think of the game plan, the inescapable and all-important fact is that Newcastle got the result they needed and we didn’t.

Yes, we didn’t lose and yes, we finally kept a clean sheet, but we are now relying on two results going our way on Sunday, one of which is out of our control and which is odds on to be unfavourable to us.

The only good thing about tonight’s result is it cancels out the importance of Everton’s late equaliser at Wolves, meaning they now have to beat Bournemouth rather than draw with them to finish above us if we beat West Ham.

But it’s still out of our hands, which is the nightmare scenario because it just prolongs the torture and agony - and yes hope - in this horrific Season from Hell.

• Like 1

Oddly, Everton have the double pressure of worrying about Leeds and us. Leeds have a double pressure of hoping 2 scores go their way. 

We are the only ones who have the relative ease of concentrating on one game..

Don't get me wrong, I'd rather be in Everton's shoes. But 1-0 up with 8 mins of added time and us and)or Leeds winning places them under enormous strain

Just now, coolhandfox said:

Newcastle have lost twice at home on the league to Arsenal and Liverpool.

We have won 1 in 15 and people expect is to rock up and win.

No but with whats at stake you expect us to rock up with more than one attempt on goal in the 92nd minute. 

• Like 1

Just now, hejammy said:

No you're missing the point. We are not good enough to beat Newcastle away. Why go gung ho when we know defensively we're crap. Maybe even ruin our better goal difference. Doesn't make sense! Yes it was in our hands but realistically would it have been the right choice?! Think about it. Newcastle have only lost twice at home this season. We've been abysmal the whole season. Take a step back, breathe and then think. 

That's a defeatist attitude for me. If we had played to our strength (attack) anything could have happened as the pressure was on Newcastle too and our two top scorers Barnes and Maddison were left on the bench when Newcastle would love to have both of them. If we finally scored first I fancied us to overwhelm them.

As it stands now us and Everton win next week and we're gone which is basically the same position we would have been in anyway.

2 minutes ago, funkyrobot said:

Newcastle are a quality side but Eddie Howe is the absolute master of shithousery. Behind that smiling, polite facade is a Lord of the Dark Arts. The level of heavy, tactical fouls in that game by Newcastle was outstanding. Pretty much every break was shut down by an early foul at the point of the break. The referee was weak and that’s key to its success. Playing on the break is a legitimate tactic of teams under the cosh against a team dominating possession. Tactical fouling has become a disease of the teams that dominate with attacking possession- the big 6 (7 now I guess) and PGMOL let them get away with it. 

And interesting G Nev pointed it out too, so the football world know it but as you say the PGMOL don't, hopefully YET

1 minute ago, Tom12345 said:

Before this game, you said it is simple. 2 games. 2 wins. We stay up. 

Can’t believe we didn’t even go for it in the end. We just stood around and not even trying to press. 

And before that I said it was simple just beat…

Bournemouth

then just beat

Villa

then just beat

Everton

then just beat 

Leeds

then Just beat Fulham

then just do something!!!! 😂 

It’s a simple game just win the next one and hope to god your rivals feck up

Just now, Dames said:

No but with whats at stake you expect us to rock up with more than one attempt on goal in the 92nd minute. 

And even if we don’t manage that, at least don’t be time wasting in stoppage time ffs

2 minutes ago, coolhandfox said:

Newcastle have lost twice at home in the league to Arsenal and Liverpool.

We have won 1 in 15 and people expect is to rock up and win.

Yes. It's like people think the team in 19th is ****ing Brazil ffs.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Tom12345 said:

The players themselves said it is like two cup finals and we need to win both. Didn’t even try. Didn’t even look like they want to win.

It is one thing to have a game plan to defend at first. But when it comes to crunch time, if the game plan was to win, you would show it. But we didn’t. We really didn’t try.

Out of touch with what we’ve seen from this squad all season. If we win the last match v West Ham, the point at least forces an Everton win. At this stage and given how poor we’ve been for some time now, we’ll have to settle for that. We are not capable of beating Newcastle at the moment.

• Like 3