Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 0-0 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

Just now, Paninistickers said:

All rests on DCL. Without him, they are shocking. More or less the only games he's played this season is is and Brighton. Both games outstanding 

Is he definitely out ? 

The thing is, they are good at corners. They will score, I just hope it’s not first.

17 minutes ago, Col city fan said:

I saw that as anything but a defeatist attitude.

Can’t believe some of the comments on here tonight.

I’m not one to be negative, and completely understood the setup to bore the game out and try to go at them last 20 mins or so, but we never did the latter. 

settling for a draw is a defeatist attitude because putting pressure on Everton isn’t enough, we’re at the business end of the season. I understand going for the win would have left us exposed but we don’t have a choice in games like tonight but to go for maximum points at the end. I’m not angry with the result, I’m angry with the acceptance of the result before it’s happened. If this was Christmas I’d say great point, but that’s just relegated us IMO., not mathematically but I can’t see anything but a win for Everton on Sunday (will be happy if I’m proved wrong) 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

That's a big if. The xG shows it was essentially impossible for us to win as we didn't attempt to and also that the fact we didn't concede was more luck than judgement. 

That result in the Liverpool game when we had more time would have been good enough but not tonight.

Apart from when we could have won it at the end but yeah

Mixed feelings really. Obviously it would be great to stay up financially, but with many players leaving in the summer another Premier League campaign could be painful. It was a turgid game from us today, but  admittedly that's what it's come to now and I could see the logic behind it. We're poor value for the neutral nowadays which is sad to see. Staying up would be a strangely flat experience in many ways. If we win 2-1 then that would be a mere 34 points and 9 wins with a goal difference of -17 and one clean sheet since the World Cup and that might be good enough to survive. It all feels very muted at the moment.

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Apart from when we could have won it at the end but yeah

They could/should have won it about 18 times. The odds of the 1 half chance we created winning it were beyond minimal.

Fair enough though if it did go in then all of a sudden it is a brave (and very lucky) masterclass, but it didn't so it wasn't. 

7 minutes ago, Paninistickers said:

I was staggered that he wasn't selected v Everton, when DCL had free reign to win everything in the air. A hideous decision from Smith. 

Souttar was outstanding tonight. Aided I suspect by Evans relishing the pastoral role. 

Apart from that absurd corner Castagne gave away on 80mins he was good too - Isak then  ASM ffs.

LT - I'm his biggest critic - was pretty decent. I love Youri but he was awol. Wilf at best patchy. Soumare steady. 

This, this and this. Hitting it long to DCL was always going to be Everton's tactic and we did nothing to combat it. Madness. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Kierzz said:

If Everton go a goal behind....there will be a huge amount of pressure on Everton....we shall see.

The main thing that point did was pile more pressure on Everton which is great.

It would. We need Bournemouth to score first. If they don’t, I’ll really worry. Of course we need to win but that isn’t a given

Edited by Mickyblueeyes

1 minute ago, BigGibbo said:

They could/should have won it about 18 times. The odds of the 1 half chance we created winning it were beyond minimal.

Fair enough though if it did go in then all of a sudden it is a brave (and very lucky) masterclass, but it didn't so it wasn't. 

People really are clinging to that one attempt and completely ignoring how Newcastle also had way more. Luckiest i’ve seen us defensively in years tbf. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

It's long overdue and our attack is the only thing that has been working. Unfortunately nobody has tried actually playing to that strength so far this season.

But essentially yes, I would rather we gave it our best attempt and if we're second best so be it. Next to f**k all changes as we still need to win next week anyway.

2% odds improvement isn't worth parking the bus and never attempting to even move it forward for me.

Oh boy I give up.

A) Everton now need a win and nothing less, the pressure is on them, with DCL they struggle to get goals. 

B) It gives us hope and confidence. 

C) Going out to play to our 'strengths' according to you would have resulted in either a high scoring loss, or a high scoring loss! Ruining our better goal difference and putting us in a much worse position. 

The 2% improvement in the odds is just from last week. It would have been like 15% worse if we had gone all out and lost. 

4 minutes ago, Always Next Year said:

Let down by the ref yet again Newcastle should have been down to ten men after that tackle. Shocking could have broken his leg.

For once, i am not going to complain about bad luck. For the first time in a while, it felt we got a bit.

Just now, Dames said:

People really are clinging to that one attempt and completely ignoring how Newcastle also had way more. Luckiest i’ve seen us defensively in years tbf. 

One key thing in your rant...luckiest. When was the last time we had luck on our side? If that makes you feel better 

3 minutes ago, BigGibbo said:

Are you going to berate this point if Everton draw and we win next week?

12 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Anyone that thinks we defended well tonight is dead on crack. That was the flukiest clean sheet I've ever seen. Felt like Newcastle hit the post about 74 times, not to mention countless other misses.

A lot of their best chances happened in a five minute spell before half time. Their finishing was pretty wayward and we got some good blocks in.

• Like 1

Just now, Tommy Fresh said:

Are you going to berate this point if Everton draw and we win next week?

I'd say we were incredibly lucky and survived in the most pathetic way any team ever has, but I'd happily take that. 

• Haha 1

Just now, hejammy said:

Oh boy I give up.

A) Everton now need a win and nothing less, the pressure is on them, with DCL they struggle to get goals. 

B) It gives us hope and confidence. 

C) Going out to play to our 'strengths' according to you would have resulted in either a high scoring loss, or a high scoring loss! Ruining our better goal difference and putting us in a much worse position. 

The 2% improvement in the odds is just from last week. It would have been like 15% worse if we had gone all out and lost. 

The only thing that kept us from a high scoring loss is some comedic attacking from Newcastle, a couple of goal line clearances and the post several times. 

It wasn’t a defensive masterclass like people are making out, we really rode our luck at times. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, fox_favourite said:

One key thing in your rant...luckiest. When was the last time we had luck on our side? If that makes you feel better 

Thats also true but it also feels like we’ve burnt through 10 games worth at the same time.