Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 0-0 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

3 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Everton winning at Brighton is the one wild card result any of the bottom 4 have managed in months. Had Everton lost or drawn that we'd be in a great position now. That one result is likely to be the main reason they stay up. 

I think Everton must've sent Brighton a huge bung before KO for that freak result! That was even more unlikely than us winning the Prem. in 2016 - or as near as dammit!

1 minute ago, st albans fox said:

Anyone surprised that souttar didn’t know he was playing until today ?  apparently we prepared the shape but hadn’t decided on that starting three ????

I am and I'm not. 

Originally told Maddison was benched then told by two others he wasn't in the Squad. 

Either that or they're looking for where the leaks are coming from and putting different information out there 

29 minutes ago, Harpenden Fox said:

I think it’s only been 40 once in the last 20 years. Perry much always mid 30s

Maybe but I well remember in 1995 C.Palace got relegated as the highest up "fourth from bottom finishers" that season on 45 points! Not sure why four went down from the Prem. that season but they have to be the unluckiest ones of all time in that regard! They went down along with us of course and arch rivals Ipswich and Norwich!

Edited by Guy

5 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Our best performance tonight came from the ref. Thought he was excellent, stood up to the crowd well and didn't give the soft fouls he very easily could've. 

😳 

Missed a red card and didn’t punish Newcastle’s tactical fouling 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

Our best performance tonight came from the ref. Thought he was excellent, stood up to the crowd well and didn't give the soft fouls he very easily could've. 

Apart from his failure to send off Bruno for that tackle on Soumaré after about 9 minutes, you mean?

Just now, Guy said:

Maybe but I well remember in 1994 C.Palace got relegated as the highest up "fourth from bottom finishers" that season on 45 points! Not sure why four went down from the Prem. that season but they have to be the unluckiest ones of all time in that regard! We went down along with us of course and arch rivals Ipswich and Norwich!

It was because the Premier League was in the process of reducing from 22 teams to 20.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Guy said:

Maybe but I well remember in 1995 C.Palace got relegated as the highest up "fourth from bottom finishers" that season on 45 points! Not sure why four went down from the Prem. that season but they have to be the unluckiest ones of all time in that regard! They went down along with us of course and arch rivals Ipswich and Norwich!

Four went down because it was a 22 team league which was going into a 20 team league. 42 games that season hence the high amount of points. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CosbehFox said:

😳

Missed a red card and didn’t punish Newcastle’s tactical fouling 

2 minutes ago, Sunbury Fox said:

Apart from his failure to send off Bruno for that tackle on Soumaré after about 9 minutes, you mean?

A red card for grazing a players thigh? Cmon now, there was no force behind the tackle at all. 

If he has been sent off, I'm pretty sure that would've got the crowd more involved and their players more up for it and we probably would've lost. Them not playing with much intensity really helped us tonight.

29 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

It was because the Premier League was in the process of reducing from 22 teams to 20.

Thanks, it's all coming back now! I see even Norwich (3rd botom) got 43 points that season and went down - as good as midtable this season!! 

Guest nathan.
43 minutes ago, FoxyLeon said:

What are you talking about?

The ref missed a clear red card on Soumare.

2 hours ago, Larry_LCFC said:

Piss poor gameplan. Weak mentality. We needed 3 points and we serve up 1 shot. I'm sorry but we deserve nothing but relegation if thats our strategy to survive. Compare Forest's survival attempt to ours. We are pathetic.

...for a team that had no confidence and showed no mentality for a fight, going into this game against a team with their record, at home needing a point for the Champions League, this was a well-strategised move by Smith!!!

At last, he was playing the team in front of him, not the occasion.

• Like 1

We’ll have to say that amazed me, the fact we kept a clean sheet at Newcastle is, for this season, quite unbelievable. Shame we didn’t realise 4 months ago we weren’t that good and a few more draws here and there would’ve meant we’d almost be safe by now by playing that way. Not entertaining I know, but that’s what you need to do when you’re down there. 

Shame really as it’s probably too late in the day but we didn’t get embarrassed again which is nice 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Guy said:

Thanks, it's all coming back now! I see even Norwich (3rd botom) got 43 points that season and went down - as good as midtable this season!! 

In the Premier League's current 20 team format, West Ham hold the record for being relegated with the most points (42 in 2002/03). West Brom hold the record for survival with the fewest points (34 in 2004/05) - a record that could be tied or broken next Sunday.

Edited by SouthStandUpperTier

Very akin to Chelsea away a few years ago where we held them to a goalless draw (even had a man down). 

When we want to show grit to grind out a result, the team can do it. Just a shame we didn't have any of that against the likes of Fulham where we caved in

Think its a little too late but as many say we've taken it to the final day which will always give us half a chance. Gonna be horrible not knowing what the scores are on Sunday

Edited by HybridFox

21 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Anyone know why a group of lads were removed halftime by the stewards?

Wasn’t there but sounds like a few were singing stupid stuff about Christian Atsu, probs the reason.

24 minutes ago, Collymore said:

Anyone know why a group of lads were removed halftime by the stewards?

It might have been the group of lads near us that were trying to stand together but in the wrong seats. The right people turned up and eventually they moved. Didn't see anyone being removed though

• Like 1