Our system detected that your browser is blocking advertisements on our site. Please help support FoxesTalk by disabling any kind of ad blocker while browsing this site. Thank you.
StanSP

Newcastle 0-0 LCFC - Post-Match Thread

18 minutes ago, AKCJ said:

I know I won't be the only person this winds up.

Why do we punt a long ball up to the winger on every single kick off? I know it paid off once at Leeds away last season but I think we give the ball away from kick off within 10 seconds on 9 out of every 10 kick offs.

Newcastle knew we were going to try it so Isak closed Souttar down and Newcastle had the ball immediately.

In the 2nd half, for Newcastle's kick off, they just played football and were immediately on the attack.

You're this close to answering your original question

25 minutes ago, Dames said:

Still can't get my head around that people seem to think there's either 'toe to toe' or 'park the bus' like they are the only options available to us.

One of the things Rodgers got right a few seasons ago with largely the same group was when we beat Man City 5-2. We didn't go 'toe to toe' with them but we progressed the ball well and exploited every opportunity we could. Last night there was absolutely no plan to progress the ball beyond the halfway line other than hit and hope. It might shock some people in here but you can play defensive football and still attack well and try to win the game. 

... and that is great when your confidence isn't shot to pieces. We don't have the luxury of playing that, we are absolutely woeful and Smith has finally realised that. He got his tactics spot on in my opinion, if we had snatched it at the end he'd be a hero. That point could prove to be crucial, it's a shame we're in this position but I would never put our fate down to that result. Giving Southampton 6 points, losing to Bournemouth and not seeing off Everton are to blame for that. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, volpeazzurro said:

In fairness, Maddison was pretty ineffective when he came on. Tielemans was again pathetic throughout and should have been left out for Mendy. 

...I  would not have started with Youri, with a set up like that, Maddison would have been a better option with Mendy alongside!!!

When Maddison came on, it seems that it was to support Vardy but that is not his game, better to have had him as #8 and every thing looking to go through him. He would have had a better influence on the game than Tielemans. 

When all is said and done, Smith perhaps felt that he needed height and physicality in the team and was the reason he chose this setup.

• Like 1

I think there was a big step up in value for each of the possible results, so whilst a win would have been fantastic, and kept it in our own hands, a draw is significantly better than a loss.

Looking at rough result percentages for the last games the chances of survival would have been:

- 55% if we had won

- 18% with the draw

- 6% had we lost

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

...we were not looking to press the ball, we did not want any space in between our defensive lines!!!

We held a line on the edge of the box, and we needed someone who could have picked it up and drive forward with runners wide either side of him.

Why would you believe that a team so lacking in confidence, leaderless and disjointed should go to what has probably been the team of the season and trade blow for blow.

Once again, this is not the game you should be looking at, but the application and approach made in the previous games. Playing 4-2-3-1 attempting to stave off relegation in an instant, needed a pragmatic approach to who we came up against. We still had a plethora of shots against us and the central midfield pairing is a big part if our problem. 

I think Smith's gesticulations at the end show that the lack of interest in attacking Newcastle (which I would say was more an utterly debilitating fear of making a calamitous late error) was a reaction of the players, not the completion of a plan to defend for a full 90 minutes.

@Dames is obviously not saying we should have gone blow for blow, but you're right to point out the mental state of this team when people blithely talk about us switching from a defensive to an attacking approach. Our gearbox is all kinds of broken. 

Edited by turtmcfly
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Chelmofox said:

We rode our luck and it almost worked.  Whats so funny when you think about, is that at the end we had Newcastle on the ropes. They couldn't wait for the final whistle.

...they suddenly had something to lose at the end, and instead of being the aggressor they went into their shell!!!

8 hours ago, Phenom said:

I get it but it’s even less simple when you’re constantly giving them the ball back because the system isn’t meant for you to attack at all.

Giving the ball back doesn't seem to faze us, or we are wrongly not worried about it. 

Every corner or free kick, we have every man back in our box, meaning every clearance is going back to the oppo and is coming straight back at us. 

I hate watching it. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

If we don't even have the luxury of trying to pass the ball to each other anymore, then honestly, we're better off getting relegated.

Dunno if you’ve watched us recently try to pass to each other? 

The most alarming thing for me is the players arguing with each other constantly. They aren’t together at all, another reason we had to play like that. 

Edited by Nobbyburton

Now the dust has settled it seems the tactics were to go for it as late as possible so Newcastle wouldnt have time to put 2 or 3 on us which, lets face it, probably would have happened if we scored midway through the second half.

13 hours ago, moore_94 said:

Would've been a good result earlier on in the season

But at this stage with the table as it is we needed 3 points

Need to hope now that we beat West Ham and that Everton don't win against Bournemouth

We won’t know until Sunday. It’s a good point if Everton draw and we win.

Went to the cinema last night to protect my mental health again. The film started about half an hour into the match so all I'd seen was complaints over a Guimaraes foul on Soumare and all I could think of was 'here we go again'.

Was absolutely thrilled when I turned my phone back on to see a) we hadn't lost and b) we'd kept a clean sheet!!! That could be massive to us next week. I think we will win on Sunday.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah how silly of me to expect professional footballers with numerous international caps to show a little bit of composure and some basic, rudimentary football skills.

Not sure I said I disagreed with that?

There’s a difference in what we expect and what we get currently. 

14 minutes ago, Twitcher said:

Surprised Amartey was selected ahead of Ricky P. and KDH last night unless they're injured.

I presume Soyoncu was injured as well?

Soy is injured apparently. I know a lot on here don't think Amartey is even a footballer, let alone a CB, but he was the only CB cover we had, so needed to be on the bench. Unless we bring Vestergaard back from the wilderness.

2 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Soy is injured apparently. I know a lot on here don't think Amartey is even a footballer, let alone a CB, but he was the only CB cover we had, so needed to be on the bench. Unless we bring Vestergaard back from the wilderness.

Vesty injured himself playing for the U23's.

• Haha 1

14 minutes ago, SouthStandUpperTier said:

Yeah how silly of me to expect professional footballers with numerous international caps to show a little bit of composure and some basic, rudimentary football skills.

...the problem is, they have not been doing so for a while, and that is why we are all speculating, why!!!

1 hour ago, Nalis said:

Now the dust has settled it seems the tactics were to go for it as late as possible so Newcastle wouldnt have time to put 2 or 3 on us which, lets face it, probably would have happened if we scored midway through the second half.

Nearly worked when we put that bunch of passes together or castanges late shot.. West Ham we should be going hell for leather go for 3 points for minute one.

• Like 1

I think it was a good performance.

An ugly point.

We need to learn to play ugly on occassions, we become to passive and soft.

There was no way we could go toe to toe with Newcastle at St James this season and not get spanked, anyone who believe this is frankly an ostrich. :nigel:

A few more ugly point like that and wed have been safe...just shows what a complete disaster Bodgers and Bodgersball was. 

Edited by Foxin_Mad
  • Like 1

31 minutes ago, whoareyaaa said:

Nearly worked when we put that bunch of passes together or castanges late shot.. West Ham we should be going hell for leather go for 3 points for minute one.

.. not sure about that,  just seems we are not learning the lesson regards attaining our survival!!!

We are not looking to be too open too soon, and then finding ourselves behind arter 5 minutes, we would be under too much pressure, and you have seen how we are incapable of playing in a restrictive way.

We have to look to grow in the game, keep it tight and build momentum,  we cannot undo a whole seasons problems in 10 minutes, going full throttle, once again we have to play what is infront of us, and not the situation. 

4 minutes ago, sacreblueits442 said:

.. not sure about that,  just seems we are not learning the lesson regards attaining our survival!!!

We are not looking to be too open too soon, and then finding ourselves behind arter 5 minutes, we would be under too much pressure, and you have seen how we are incapable of playing in a restrictive way.

We have to look to grow in the game, keep it tight and build momentum,  we cannot undo a whole seasons problems in 10 minutes, going full throttle, once again we have to play what is infront of us, and not the situation. 

Possibly although there is only 90 minutes left and we need to start with players who are capable of scoring and be on the front foot from the off imo. It’s too late to start playing rigid and expect us to then score and win, against Newcastle away fair enough but we won’t get 3 points. Playing like that as proven last night with one shot all game.

we should be hammering the West Ham goal from this 1st minute

Edited by whoareyaaa